Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor
 [Register]
Ann Arbor Washtenaw County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2022, 09:06 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,574,845 times

Advertisements

I have friend's that hate roundabout's. Do you like them or not?

The Roundabout Drivers Hate
The one at State and Ellsworth reduced traffic backups--but also caused more accidents.

https://annarborobserver.com/the-rou...-drivers-hate/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2022, 04:20 AM

15,416 posts, read 9,049,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD59 View Post
I have friend's that hate roundabout's. Do you like them or not?

The Roundabout Drivers Hate
The one at State and Ellsworth reduced traffic backups--but also caused more accidents.

https://annarborobserver.com/the-rou...-drivers-hate/
Quote:
When a roundabout opens, crash numbers usually drop. “A modern roundabout provides a 39 percent reduction in total crashes and a 90 percent reduction in serious injury and fatality crashes,” according to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety
I call BS on that stat. Virtually every study I have ever seen shows that roundabouts increase crashes, not reduce them. The increase in crashes at that intersection was predictable and should have been anticipated.

The insurance industry loves roundabouts, because they lower fatalities and property damage, which saves them money. The increased crashes are mostly covered by the driver's deductibles.

STUDY_ 2-lane roundabouts cause crash increase

Old 08-31-2022, 09:25 AM

2,362 posts, read 1,054,042 times
I hate roundabouts ...nobody seems to know the "rules" ......I' even try to avoid them if at all possible.

Great in Great Britain, where roundabouts are everywhere and everyone has grown up with them...
give me traffic lights any day over roundabouts....I hate them!

Old 08-31-2022, 10:21 AM

4,830 posts, read 3,259,357 times
I hate them because so many people just can't figure out how to use them properly... but also love them because so many DO know how to use them. Throw out the accidents caused by idiots and you really can't make an argument that they don't move traffic better.

Now, those opposing direction instersections... not enough smart people to make those things work ( at least in Texas. Maybe you northern folks are smarter).

Old 08-31-2022, 02:07 PM

792 posts, read 2,323,445 times
As a new generation grows up with them and is trained to use them when they first learn to drive, the problems will recede. I recognize the advantages of them and approve of them, but as a Gen Xer, I had been driving for 20+ years before I had to learn how to navigate them, and I still am not completely comfortable driving in them.

Old 09-01-2022, 09:50 AM

110 posts, read 170,319 times
I like roundabouts well enough. Once people get used to them I think they have a net positive impact on traffic flow. There's a roundabout near my current home.I'm finding it easier to get out of my driveway now than I did when it was an intersection with a light.

Old 09-02-2022, 09:04 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,246,940 times
I drive through 5 a day in a school bus along Nixon Rd in Ann Arbor. I don't mind them at all.
My professional tips are....
to enter the roundabout 90% of your focus is to your left. The other 10% is pedestrians or bikes to your right using a crosswalk.
If a car is in the roundabout to your left watch its tires. As soon as you establish that car is exiting to your left you go. Obviously if the tires tell you its crossing in front of you then wait.

If there are no cars in the roundabout there "ain't no" stop sign so just freaking go.
If a car is entering or trying to enter from the right don't worry about it, its going away from you.

Its a bit tricker if there are two lanes in the crosswalk but the principle is the same.

Old 10-04-2022, 06:38 AM

3,006 posts, read 1,491,307 times
They don't need stoplights, so they are unaffected by blackouts, which will be more frequent. But later there will be less cars. Turning around on a horse-drawn wagon could be a challenge on a narrow road, so roundabouts could be left as is instead of changed back to plain intersections.

Old 10-04-2022, 09:18 AM

12,038 posts, read 8,403,014 times
They're a mixed blessing. I think totally unnecessary for most places I see them here in Southern MN. But we have to keep up with the Jones's. I could foresee a time when they will be needed.

When they were first put in we were taking our every four-years insurance discount safety classes and the trooper asked if anyone didn't like them. I raised my hand and without asking why he suggested I get up early in the morning and go down and practice.

He misinterpreted. I don't like them because we live in a college town and I've noticed that a lot of our younger drivers actually speed up when they see one and come sailing through oblivious leaving other in the circle holding their breath. No time for signals. Out-of-towners are puzzled and unpredictable.

After time now it still looks like a lot of people don't know how to use them so I always feel extra cautious going through one. And one we have is such a tight circle that going through with a semi is downright dangerous.

However driving habits have become so poor no that I feel the same way about stoplights. Never know anymore who is just going cut in front of you or come barreling straight through. It's crazy.

Funny story: When they built the first one a grandpa and grandma set up their lawn chairs nearby to watch the accidents. LOL. Guess we're still rural at heart.

Old 10-04-2022, 10:17 PM

4,859 posts, read 6,918,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
They're a mixed blessing. I think totally unnecessary for most places I see them here in Southern MN. But we have to keep up with the Jones's. I could foresee a time when they will be needed.

When they were first put in we were taking our every four-years insurance discount safety classes and the trooper asked if anyone didn't like them. I raised my hand and without asking why he suggested I get up early in the morning and go down and practice.

He misinterpreted. I don't like them because we live in a college town and I've noticed that a lot of our younger drivers actually speed up when they see one and come sailing through oblivious leaving other in the circle holding their breath. No time for signals. Out-of-towners are puzzled and unpredictable.

After time now it still looks like a lot of people don't know how to use them so I always feel extra cautious going through one. And one we have is such a tight circle that going through with a semi is downright dangerous.

However driving habits have become so poor no that I feel the same way about stoplights. Never know anymore who is just going cut in front of you or come barreling straight through. It's crazy.

Funny story: When they built the first one a grandpa and grandma set up their lawn chairs nearby to watch the accidents. LOL. Guess we're still rural at heart.
These things only work in moderate traffic intersections. In heavy traffic situations they create a mess and an outstanding opportunity to get in an accident.

It's turned into a fad.

You're from southern Minnesota so maybe you've run into this roundabout. South of Lakeville and west off of I-35 you go past a sprint car racetrack. At the intersection of 2 county highways MILES from any population (and traffic) what do I run into but a roundabout. Did a couple of farmers put it in there just for giggles or were they trying to make a statement that they're keeping up with the big cities?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor