Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 11:46 AM

4,088 posts, read 4,388,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Here is a link to a news story on the changes. SB1070 was not changed, another trailer modified it.
I found it, Ponderosa, thanks again.

Old 07-26-2010, 11:48 AM

3,562 posts, read 4,395,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
There ain't a house or highrise built in Texas these days without illegal labor. Same goes for manual labor on farms; janitorial, housekeepers, dishwashers, etc. Assuming its the same (except for probably the farming) in AZ are you going to start letting your sons and daughters enter these occupations?

ISS - Death on the job in Texas (http://www.southernstudies.org/2009/06/post-21.html - broken link)
Maybe this is exactly what this generation needs to get over its "entitlement" mentality. Menial/manual labor might just be the deterrent which will inspire some of these slacker kids to pursue higher education or vocational training.

Old 07-26-2010, 11:48 AM

334 posts, read 662,562 times
I am sick and tired of political correctness. "Undocumented residents" is nonsense, they are illegal aliens. That's like saying a bank robber "made an unauthorized withdrawal"

Old 07-26-2010, 11:56 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,518,103 times
Quote:
Sorry if I'm not propely informed.
That's the problem. People (in this case, someone out of state) are not "properly informed" and comes on here flaming, name-calling and throwing-up yesterday's meatloaf, all the while not knowing what they're talking about (and not willing to accept what others are saying). It's certainly a lesson in how not to act on message boards.

Quote:
This law is having an effect on legal residents too. Lots of Hispanic people who are legal are fleeing Arizona in droves because they dont want to live in a place where they fear they will be profiled and discriminated against.
All the hispanics in my family and that I know (at work and church) support 1070. The only way I can see this is if they are completely uninformed and have a misunderstanding of what 1070 is. (Which I can believe, because our local media can't get it right, nor can Telemundo....). But just because uninformed folks take it the wrong way, does not make the law wrong. It's people's responsibility to be informed and understand.

Quote:
I seriously doubt that Hispanic US citizens are "fleeing Arizona in Droves". I would need to see evidence to believe that, especially when the new law hasn't even gone into effect yet. Phoenix is 43% Hispanic and 46% white which for all intents and purposes is equal. Can somebody actually be so paranoid as to think the police, which BTW, are half Hispanic too, are going to discriminate against half the population of Phoenix? It's laughable, and frankly I don't believe a word of it.
Well said, kdog!

Quote:
There ain't a house or highrise built in Texas these days without illegal labor. Same goes for manual labor on farms; janitorial, housekeepers, dishwashers, etc. Assuming its the same (except for probably the farming) in AZ are you going to start letting your sons and daughters enter these occupations?
Yes, because right now they're unemployed and need jobs....

Quote:
Seems those from out of state are "profiling" AZ law enforcement as racists.
Sad, isn't it?

Old 07-26-2010, 12:14 PM

3,981 posts, read 6,736,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Let's see here. In my youth I bussed tables in a restaurant, cleaned offices at night, worked in a car wash, was a ranch hand cutting, mowing, baling and stacking hay among other things, did a lot of yard care for a number of people and manual labor on construction sites.

For the record, I'm caucasian. This was all in the 50s and 60s. Guess we whites weren't afraid of work then and I don't see why we would be now.
I think this generation is quite a bit softer than yours. And if they weren't why are they not represented very well in these industries?

Last edited by verybadgnome; 07-26-2010 at 01:19 PM..

Old 07-26-2010, 12:22 PM

220 posts, read 411,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Lee View Post
Why would legal residents feel any kind of pinch? They have every right to be here. Did the "journalist" think about asking any kind of probing questions?
Why? Because Arizona is hostile to Hispanic Americans. The prospect of Sheriff Arpaio arresting his wife and putting her in a tent concentration camp is too much for this man to bear.

Legal Hispanic American citizens are also leaving Arizona and I don't blame them.

Old 07-26-2010, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Why? Because Arizona is hostile to Hispanic Americans. The prospect of Sheriff Arpaio arresting his wife and putting her in a tent concentration camp is too much for this man to bear.
This is absolute nonsense. Show some evidence of Arizona being "unhostile" to hispanics, instead of just empty accusations. Also, your reference to tent city as a "concentration camp" is unfounded and offensive. Try having some facts and logical arguements instead of name-calling and generalizations (both logical fallacies).

Old 07-26-2010, 12:37 PM

220 posts, read 411,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritchie_az View Post
This is absolute nonsense. Show some evidence of Arizona being "unhostile" to hispanics, instead of just empty accusations. Also, your reference to tent city as a "concentration camp" is unfounded and offensive. Try having some facts and logical arguements instead of name-calling and generalizations (both logical fallacies).
The truth can be hard to take sometimes. Arpaio has said in his own words that he will put illegals in his tent jails if ICE refuses to take them.

These "tent cities" as you choose to call them look very much like concentration camps to me.

Arizona is hostile to Hispanic Americans that is why they're leaving.

Arizona Hispanics flee state in droves before new immigration law S.B. 1070 takes effect in July

[LEFT]""Though precise numbers are not yet available, early anecdotal reports from local schools, businesses and residents indicate that Hispanics could be leaving in droves to avoid the law's impact, USA Today reported Wednesday.""

[/LEFT]

Old 07-26-2010, 12:41 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
Our servicemen often live in tents. Should criminals be treated better?

Old 07-26-2010, 12:43 PM

The more I've thought about this, the more I think there are some specific tactics being employed by those who oppose 1070. Since the law hasn't gone into effect yet, there are no examples of "racial profiling" or legal citizens haveing their "rights violated". So those arguements can't be employed. I think the tatctics they are using are:
1) Accuse law enforcement of being inept and incapable of properly doing their job (and sometimes they're racist).
2) Saying legal residents are leaving out of "fear" of what might happen--those KKK, NAZI white folks in Arizona will ensure Juan and Maria spend the night in Tent City because they forgot their drivers licenses at home.
3) When all else fails, think of as many degrading names as possible, and start shouting.

In all three cases, there are no facts or evidence to support them, they're based on faulty logic, and they're rooted in fearmongering.
But, perhaps, if they shout it loud enough, you know, the squeaky wheel gets the grease....

Last edited by Ritchie_az; 07-26-2010 at 12:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona