Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2007, 10:10 AM

88 posts, read 482,687 times

Advertisements

We are seriously considering relocating to that area from Chicago area. Wonder what we could expect to pay in real estate taxes for a single family home selling for under $325,000. Taxes here are horrendous ($7000+) for our 2200 sq.ft. home. It appears that Gilbert is really growing... would that be a better choice than Mesa? This will be our last home as husband must retire earlly for health reasons. Would appreciate any and all information you can give us about these areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2007, 01:03 PM

69 posts, read 280,795 times
Hi Chicago Carol-

Both cities have plenty of pros & cons. I think it really depends on the lifestyle you and your husband are looking for. Mesa has more to offer with regard to retirement living, varied environments i.e., midwest feel (green, lush yards) desert & mountain topography, etc. Although Mesa has some very nice newer areas, Gilbert is booming!..new malls, hospitals, housing subdivisions, freeway access and the like. Gilbert at one time was the hay capitol of the world (honestly) and that can only mean lot's of flat former farm land so there isn't allot of varied topography.

Gilbert homes have been known to suffer from settling cracks due to expansive soil but SOME builders in the past 4-5 years have resorted to a "post-tensioning" system when laying the foundation to minimize settling issues.

I am an Arizona native and have lived in Gilbert for the past 12 years. We have had some minor settling issues but it hasn't been a big deal at all.

Property taxes for a home valued in the price range you are looking for should be under $2,000/year.

Hope this little bit of info from a "lifer" is of some value to you. Please ask if there is anything else I can help with!

Old 07-06-2007, 05:15 PM

88 posts, read 482,687 times
Thank you so much for your fast reply! I have a son that recently moved to Gilbert (in an apartment tho) from Scottsdale...He has only been in AZ a year. He too said Gilbert is booming & that Mesa is pretty well built out. We won't be looking for a brand new home so hopefully that would mean any settling would have already taken place? We will be looking for a single family ranch home with 2 car garage, hopefully with a small pool,fenced yard- no HOA (have that now & hate it) I am amazed that real estate taxes are so low there! Is water ok? Have read abit & seems like there are wells, city water, etc. Any other concerns we should know about? Truly appreciate your input.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona