Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 05:49 PM

260 posts, read 511,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Sadly, I could have written that article myself. Especially about living here becoming depressing. Yes, Arizona is a culture of isolation. That is the best way I've ever heard it put.

Here's to the TRUTH about living in Phoenix, Az.

I not sure, if this is true, or not, or if most people would not agree with you.
But, what I would like to see, is Obama buying a ranch here in Arizona, and do his ranching here in his spare time, and invite world leaders , and Jan, and politicians, friends, move stars, to spend time at his ranch. A lot of US presidents had a farm or a ranch, but Obama only has a small vegetable garden at the White House.
A vegetable garden is not a ranch.
I think, a nice Obama ranch would make a big impact not only in Arizona, but maybe even in the World, It would be a nice way to get World leaders closer together, and maybe the culture of isolation in Arizona would also change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2011, 05:34 PM

5,546 posts, read 10,001,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesmoses View Post
I not sure, if this is true, or not, or if most people would not agree with you.
But, what I would like to see, is Obama buying a ranch here in Arizona, and do his ranching here in his spare time, and invite world leaders , and Jan, and politicians, friends, move stars, to spend time at his ranch. A lot of US presidents had a farm or a ranch, but Obama only has a small vegetable garden at the White House.
A vegetable garden is not a ranch.
I think, a nice Obama ranch would make a big impact not only in Arizona, but maybe even in the World, It would be a nice way to get World leaders closer together, and maybe the culture of isolation in Arizona would also change.
Huh? Is he supposed to go to all the states and do this?

Now, one thing I do take issue with is trying to tie the Tucson shooting to the culture of isolation, as these shootings occur all over the country. It's more about a failed system than anything else and a crazy shooter.

Having said this, there is no doubt that in Phoenix, at least, it is a rather isolating place to be. Part of this has to do with the weather - in the summer at least - with the oppressive heat. But the same thing could be said for the brutal winters in the tundra up north, and yet people seem to not be so isolating. I think a huge part of it is the transience of this town and the fact everything is so spread out. One has to drive far just to get together with people far too often.

I know in my neighborhood, people do keep to themselves. But even when I was an apartment dweller in Tempe over by ASU, was the same deal, except for the psycho I met in the complex who threatened my life. Yeah, no wonder I keep to myself.

Old 02-02-2011, 09:11 PM

2,457 posts, read 7,383,195 times
These are interesting posts and it appears each person has had his/her own personal experience; good and bad. You can't be much more of an "outsider" than an Arkie visiting AZ, but over the years I visited many communities including Phoenix and Tucson. I was always greeted with true friendship and respect and always made to feel welcome. Well, I did have one unpleasant experience in a bar in a small community in which I had been frequently welcomed over the years. One man who had the reputation of being an got kinda loud with me, but I walked away and later someone (not me) broke his face and sent him to the hospital. The next time I saw him he was very nice to me

Old 02-03-2011, 10:58 AM

444 posts, read 1,352,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
It's more about a failed system than anything else and a crazy shooter.
Couldn't agree more. Talk to social workers about what they think of the state of our mental health system. This isn't a problem relegated to Arizona. This horrible incident could have happened anywhere.
I think Phoenix is similar to LA in its isolation. It's very difficult to meet people in both places, and there is a strong culture of transiency in Phoenix, where people come to work but have no intention of staying as their roots are elsewhere. The lack of the real sense of community that people see as isolating just hasn't been fostered in a way that could help it develop into something. I think Phoenix needs more time to mature and find its own identity, and then you'll see that aspect diminish, at least to an extent.

Old 01-31-2013, 04:59 PM

31 posts, read 99,736 times
(Sigh) Yes unfortunately Arizona is an isolated culture (in general the phoenix area). You will find yourself trying to get out there and meet people, only to find them wanting to have nothing to do with you. I guess if you enjoy the slow life, or are retired than Arizona would be a good place for you. However, if you were to look into the history of AZ, it is technically considered the "final destination". It is the land that everyone came to in order to get away from everyone else before it had became a state, and when I say "final destination" I mean it was the final part of the landlocked states that had gained statehood. I guess that mentality is what helped build the culture that is AZ today.

Old 01-31-2013, 06:47 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,893,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmaf25 View Post
(Sigh) Yes unfortunately Arizona is an isolated culture (in general the phoenix area). You will find yourself trying to get out there and meet people, only to find them wanting to have nothing to do with you. I guess if you enjoy the slow life, or are retired than Arizona would be a good place for you. However, if you were to look into the history of AZ, it is technically considered the "final destination". It is the land that everyone came to in order to get away from everyone else before it had became a state, and when I say "final destination" I mean it was the final part of the landlocked states that had gained statehood. I guess that mentality is what helped build the culture that is AZ today.
From where are you quoting "final destination"?

Besides that, out of over six million people you say people want nothing to do with you?

Everyone has times like that in their life. It can last a week or a month, but it happens everywhere. If you moved somewhere far from home and felt bummed about things in general, then you went out saying to yourself "I'm gonna go make friends today" and didn't get quick results then blame can't be placed on a state you live in but rather a state of mind you're temporarily in. Friends happen, they're not manufactured. Isolation is a danger all face when moving away. I'm sorry you're having a rough time, hope things get better.

Old 01-31-2013, 08:20 PM

1,942 posts, read 4,570,821 times
This "culture of isolation" can happen anywhere. In fact, this isolation goes everywhere I go because I am one of those "transients." I live in two different apartment complexes. In each, neighbors usually move after one year. I work outside of Phoenix and am back home several times a year. I don't know my neighbors. It's not uncommon for me to find I have a new next door neighbor when I come back home to Phoenix. I pay double rent so I live among people lower than my education level and my level of professionalism. Not much in common. I don't have time to be a fan of spectator sports so I don't even have that in common. This is my approach to earning higher income so I can retire sooner. Being transient does not mean you are a bum. A lot of people work in highly skilled jobs hundreds, sometimes thousands of miles away from home. Get used to it. This is becoming more common.

Old 02-01-2013, 01:05 AM

I'm sorry cacto but I must disagree with you. I lived in AZ for 8 years and while I did make a few acquaintances, most of those people that I had gotten along with had recently moved there from others states. It had just seemed like that the whole time I was there. Furthermore, after moving to Boston Massachusetts and living there for only 6 months I have already been able to find like minded friends and am always being offered a helping hand. Therefore, due to personal experience and other like minded people I met during my stay in AZ, in "my" opinion I can't help but feel that the culture of isolationism in Arizona does have something to do with its environment and the expected social norms. Yes Howard Roark it is true the culture of isolation can happen anywhere, but also to remember that there are people not in your shoes.

Old 02-01-2013, 07:59 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,300,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmaf25 View Post
This thread is 2 years old. You revived a 2 year old thread just to vent? You don't live here any longer. If you are happy where you are living then why are you here complaining about Arizona? You say you are happy in Boston so why are you here reviving a 2 year old thread?

You have 8 posts and they are all anti-Arizona responses. There are previous anti-Phoenix members who assume different ID's over the years. We all know some of these members were people who openly posted their frustration in being forced to leave Arizona due to the hard economy and being unable to find work. They used this forum to vent their frustrations on the state. I'm sorry if you were one of these people. I hope you are doing well now.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 02-01-2013 at 08:13 AM..

Old 02-01-2013, 01:34 PM

I'm not venting anything, I'm giving my opinion on the state. It seems like you're venting because you're upset that someone is giving an opinion that you dislike. In response to my eight posts that are all Arizona it is because I enjoy heated discussion and because I am a fairly new member on this site. When I find an interesting thread that is not in Arizona I will give my input. So instead of trying to disagree with me by directly attacking me and others, why don't you try and disagree with me by providing why you think I'm wrong and provide evidence to your findings?

I had no idea this is a 2 year old thread, I don't bother looking at dates
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona