Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 01:35 PM

24 posts, read 68,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix lady View Post
If you've read "horror stories" about cats getting killed outside, why would you want to take a chance?

My cats are currently indoor outdoor cats. And I would feel bad keeping them inside, however, I obviously dont want anything to happen to them.

But to answer your question - its like labor, I heard horror stories about labor, but I still had kids. People feel the need to tell you their bad stories when you dont ask.

Old 07-18-2011, 02:14 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,164,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamfinn View Post
But to answer your question - its like labor, I heard horror stories about labor, but I still had kids. People feel the need to tell you their bad stories when you dont ask.
Well, you asked, and people told you. So...

Old 07-18-2011, 02:51 PM

1,229 posts, read 3,871,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamfinn View Post
My cats are currently indoor outdoor cats. And I would feel bad keeping them inside, however, I obviously dont want anything to happen to them.

It's the reality of taking a domesticated cat and having it roam the outdoor desert.

Moderator cut: off topic

The reality is that a domesticated cat that is allowed to roam the AZ desert is subject to many types of perils, serious injury and death. The desert is a very harsh environment. A domesticated cat IMHO should NOT be allowed to roam free outdoors.

Last edited by Kimballette; 07-18-2011 at 02:56 PM.. Reason: off topic

Old 07-18-2011, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballette View Post
Well, you asked, and people told you. So...

YES! I asked here and I sooooooooooo appreciate hearing them on this forum b/c its helping me make my decision. But Im soo sick of people telling me all the negative about arizona, like all the wild animals and how they will destroy my cat (people who have no first hand knowledge) and about the heat. Like I dont know its hot there. DUH ! I enjoy talking with the people from Arizona about their opinions, not stupid people from Seattle who have no clue and no first hand knowledge.

Old 07-18-2011, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DellNec View Post
It's the reality of taking a domesticated cat and having it roam the outdoor desert.

Moderator cut: off topic

The reality is that a domesticated cat that is allowed to roam the AZ desert is subject to many types of perils, serious injury and death. The desert is a very harsh environment. A domesticated cat IMHO should NOT be allowed to roam free outdoors.

Thank you. We are leaning to the same thing.

Old 07-18-2011, 03:43 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,663,739 times
www.petbehaviorsolutions.com/uploads/Indoor_orOutdoor_catspdf (http://www.petbehaviorsolutions.com/uploads/Indoor_orOutdoor_catspdf - broken link)
This article says it all.

Link didn't work. Indoor cats live, on average, 12-15, while outdoor ones live less than 3 years. This statistic has been cited in many articles I've read over the years. Between cruely, poison, diseases, parasites, weather, predators, being lost, it's obvious that indoor cats fare much better.

Old 07-18-2011, 03:48 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,635,340 times
A really foolish thing to do would be to let your cats roam outside if they're declawed.

Old 07-18-2011, 03:56 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,752,843 times
When we moved here our 12 year old cat got out of the house and we never saw him again. I would not have an outdoor cat here and I would certainly keep an eye on small dogs. This morning my husband saw two coyotes playing in our backyard.

Old 07-18-2011, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
When we moved here our 12 year old cat got out of the house and we never saw him again. I would not have an outdoor cat here and I would certainly keep an eye on small dogs. This morning my husband saw two coyotes playing in our backyard.

oh your poor kitty wow 2 coyotes! holy cow.!!!!

Old 07-18-2011, 04:46 PM

7,184 posts, read 9,237,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix lady View Post
www.petbehaviorsolutions.com/uploads/Indoor_orOutdoor_catspdf (http://www.petbehaviorsolutions.com/uploads/Indoor_orOutdoor_catspdf - broken link)
This article says it all.

Link didn't work. Indoor cats live, on average, 12-15, while outdoor ones live less than 3 years. This statistic has been cited in many articles I've read over the years. Between cruely, poison, diseases, parasites, weather, predators, being lost, it's obvious that indoor cats fare much better.
got a 404 error on your file. Feral cats may average less than 3 yrs. I don't know. I can tell you this. There are plenty of feral cats out there. I don't know how many times they have set off the security cameras at work.

My cat was a stray that adopted us. The vet estimated his age at 5 back then. That was almost 8 yrs ago.

Sometimes he will spend all day inside, sometimes he will sit outside on a summer day in the shade and watch the birds. But he is free to choose. He would go bonkers if we tried to imprison him inside.

If your cat is declawed, an indoor cat or live near the desert, I agree keep him inside. But when I grew up my parents wouldn't even let the cats or dogs inside. Pets were kept outside. The cats we had when I was young lived to be 12-15 yrs old. Despite being outdoor cats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona