Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 01:04 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,837,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Many of the ones I know in the pokey committed some minor felony then went on probation or parole and got busted for simple drug possession and were sent back. The original sentence was served long ago and now they are in trouble over their drug addiction.
So basically they've been a burden on their families for their whole lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 01:07 PM

39,080 posts, read 51,252,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
So basically they've been a burden on their families for their whole lives.
Sort of, but not really. These guys have several kids none of whom they support. Their women are loyal if that is the word, keep hoping they will straighten up next time and so want to invest the effort to keep in touch, provide family ties that maybe will bind. For that, they now must pay a tax on top of having to provide for themselves and their kids.

Old 09-14-2011, 01:23 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,837,587 times
Quote:
Their women are loyal if that is the word, keep hoping they will straighten up next time and so want to invest the effort to keep in touch, provide family ties that maybe will bind. For that, they now must pay a tax on top of having to provide for themselves and their kids.
I'd call that a stupidity tax then.

Old 09-16-2011, 12:04 PM

849 posts, read 2,923,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
I'd call that a stupidity tax then.
LOL! That's what it is.
There's a sucker born every minute, I guess. Look up "sociopath" in any psychology textbook or other periodical. This will explain why recidivism is so high for the typical criminal, and explains why they will never reform. If you feel sorry for these people, you obviously have had no contact with them or ever dealt with a criminal in your own family. They drag everyone down, they LIE to attain what they want, and they don't care who they screw over to get what they need.

Old 09-16-2011, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Many of the ones I know in the pokey committed some minor felony
What is your opinion of a "MINOR" felony?

Old 09-16-2011, 01:06 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,504,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich67 View Post
LOL! That's what it is.
There's a sucker born every minute, I guess. Look up "sociopath" in any psychology textbook or other periodical. This will explain why recidivism is so high for the typical criminal, and explains why they will never reform. If you feel sorry for these people, you obviously have had no contact with them or ever dealt with a criminal in your own family. They drag everyone down, they LIE to attain what they want, and they don't care who they screw over to get what they need.
No debate from me about the criminal element.

The fee, however, is being charged to the visitors.

Why not stick the inmates with this visitation fee instead of the visitors themselves?

Talk about being screwed over, and it is the families of the inmates in this case.

Old 09-16-2011, 01:44 PM

42 posts, read 162,021 times
I'm not keen on it, since it is targeted at the families rather than the inmates, but on a positive it is a once off fee and is not applied to minors.

I have no idea how it works in AZ, and if not in place, I'm surprised they didn't opt for parking fees first, there's a money creaming idea just waiting to be put into action.

Old 09-17-2011, 12:55 PM

java, the inmates have no money. The money in their commissary comes from family members, so if they were to be charged that cost, it would come from the same source.

Old 09-17-2011, 01:22 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,440,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich67 View Post
java, the inmates have no money. The money in their commissary comes from family members, so if they were to be charged that cost, it would come from the same source.
The states are different on this?
In California, the vast majority of prisoners work, go to school or both, and get paid. They do laundry, they cook, they clean, they do mechanical stuff, etc. The payment is small, yes, but it's put in their account to buy things at the commissary. They can't receive Social Security while incarcerated, but they can receive pension checks and transfers from retirement accounts.

Old 09-17-2011, 01:36 PM

Vast majority? The MINORITY work. They are called trustees. Not every prisoner is a trustee, only those with a better record are authorized to work; the days of everyone forced to do labor are no more.
Also, let me ask you this, how many prisoners in DOC actually have a retirement/ 401k? Do you honestly think any people in prison held a job for any length of time where they were able to obtain a retirement? Maybe in some federal prisons, some white collar criminals had that ability, but in our state prison system? I seriously doubt it.
This is how it is in Florida, and it was the same in California about 17 years ago when I left....unless things have changed drastically, and every prisoner in state custody is now a "model" prisoner who is responsible enough to hold a job, work around sharp tools and knives in a kitchen, and is qualified to work construction to do prison upkeep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona