Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 02:43 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,437,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich67 View Post
Vast majority? The MINORITY work. They are called trustees. Not every prisoner is a trustee, only those with a better record are authorized to work; the days of everyone forced to do labor are no more.
Also, let me ask you this, how many prisoners in DOC actually have a retirement/ 401k? Do you honestly think any people in prison held a job for any length of time where they were able to obtain a retirement? Maybe in some federal prisons, some white collar criminals had that ability, but in our state prison system? I seriously doubt it.
This is how it is in Florida, and it was the same in California about 17 years ago when I left....unless things have changed drastically, and every prisoner in state custody is now a "model" prisoner who is responsible enough to hold a job, work around sharp tools and knives in a kitchen, and is qualified to work construction to do prison upkeep.
Well, excuse me for asking a simple question because I was curious about the differences between states. No reason to get snippy.

Since both my father and I worked for the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation for a combined total of 40 years, I guess I don't know anything. I'll just keep my opinions to myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2011, 02:57 PM

849 posts, read 2,923,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Well, excuse me for asking a simple question because I was curious about the differences between states. No reason to get snippy.

Since both my father and I worked for the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation for a combined total of 40 years, I guess I don't know anything. I'll just keep my opinions to myself.
Relax. I wasn't being snippy. I just type "snippy". LOL.
I've been working in the same vein for 19 years, both in L.A. and Florida. So I would think I'm reasonably qualified to answer the same. I just don't call it "rehabilitation".
I'm pretty sure Arizona's system is not much different than those two places.

Old 09-21-2011, 08:40 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,410,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich67 View Post
Vast majority? The MINORITY work. They are called trustees. Not every prisoner is a trustee, only those with a better record are authorized to work; the days of everyone forced to do labor are no more.
Also, let me ask you this, how many prisoners in DOC actually have a retirement/ 401k? Do you honestly think any people in prison held a job for any length of time where they were able to obtain a retirement? Maybe in some federal prisons, some white collar criminals had that ability, but in our state prison system? I seriously doubt it.
This is how it is in Florida, and it was the same in California about 17 years ago when I left....unless things have changed drastically, and every prisoner in state custody is now a "model" prisoner who is responsible enough to hold a job, work around sharp tools and knives in a kitchen, and is qualified to work construction to do prison upkeep.
The working can vary from State to State. Here every inmate has to program, and for a vast majority that is work. I think it is the same in Arizona too.

Old 09-21-2011, 06:31 PM

11 posts, read 18,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post

Why not stick the inmates with this visitation fee instead of the visitors themselves?
Because the VISITORS require extra staff to do the searches and and to do monitoring during visits to ensure that drugs aren't being introduced (though they often are). The mixing of inmates with the general population requires a little extra staffing just to be safe. And ALL of this on the weekend, when it's harder to get people to work, or when the people with the clearance to work with the database systems that have sensitive visitor information have already put in a whole week of work M-F answering phones -- and therefore will need to be paid overtime.

Granted, the fee is $25 for a one-time background check, but if a few dollars go to cover the added expense of visitors, it sure wouldn't be unjustified.

Old 09-22-2011, 12:39 AM

1,046 posts, read 3,484,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariztophanes View Post
Because the VISITORS require extra staff to do the searches and and to do monitoring during visits to ensure that drugs aren't being introduced (though they often are). The mixing of inmates with the general population requires a little extra staffing just to be safe. And ALL of this on the weekend, when it's harder to get people to work, or when the people with the clearance to work with the database systems that have sensitive visitor information have already put in a whole week of work M-F answering phones -- and therefore will need to be paid overtime.

Granted, the fee is $25 for a one-time background check, but if a few dollars go to cover the added expense of visitors, it sure wouldn't be unjustified.
I understand what you're saying. But, the fee's do not go towards hiring more personnel. All of the money goes into a fund for building renewal/maintenance that will be doled out buy the DOC with the the Legislatures approval.

Old 09-22-2011, 08:41 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,410,769 times
Whats wrong with building maintenance and stuff like that ? Safer and clean buildings lead to a safer einvironment which is what we all want right ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona