Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 01:19 PM

108 posts, read 393,064 times

Advertisements

I have listed 18 cities and /or areas below.

If you had to choose one of the cities/areas listed below to live in which one would you choose ?

What city would be your 1st Choice ?

What city would be your 2nd Choice ?

and

What city would be your last choice ?

I am trying to get information on other peoples thoughts in regards to the cities and/or areas listed below.

Ajo
Benson
Bisbee
Camp Verde
Coolidge
Douglas
Eagar/Springerville
Eloy
Florence
Globe/Miami
Kingman
Mammoth/San Manuel
Parker
Safford
Show Low
Snowflake/Taylor
Willcox
Winslow
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2012, 01:26 PM

39,077 posts, read 51,218,516 times
1. Kingman
2. Show Low
Last. Ajo

Ajo - trashy run down impoverished
Benson - bad sister to Sierra Vista
Bisbee - old hippies and drugs
Camp Verde - old retirees and rednecks
Coolidge - hot, dusty, nothing there
Douglas - illegal aliens and drug smugglers everywhere
Eagar/Springerville - Mormon town
Eloy - truck stop town
Florence - prison town
Globe/Miami - mining camp
Kingman - decent place but windy and remote
Mammoth/San Manuel - mining camp
Parker -dumpy river town full of Californians
Safford - Mormon town
Show Low - OK, but a cold Mormon town
Snowflake/Taylor - Mormon town
Willcox - nothing there but an applie orchard
Winslow - trashy impoverished windswept railroad town

Old 03-08-2012, 05:25 PM

17,790 posts, read 13,682,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
1. Kingman
2. Show Low
Last. Ajo

Ajo - trashy run down impoverished
Benson - bad sister to Sierra Vista
Bisbee - old hippies and drugs
Camp Verde - old retirees and rednecks
Coolidge - hot, dusty, nothing there
Douglas - illegal aliens and drug smugglers everywhere
Eagar/Springerville - Mormon town
Eloy - truck stop town
Florence - prison town
Globe/Miami - mining camp
Kingman - decent place but windy and remote
Mammoth/San Manuel - mining camp
Parker -dumpy river town full of Californians
Safford - Mormon town
Show Low - OK, but a cold Mormon town
Snowflake/Taylor - Mormon town
Willcox - nothing there but an applie orchard
Winslow - trashy impoverished windswept railroad town
Pretty rough on these poor little towns aren't you?

The OP needs to tell us more about what he/she prefers before we can really answer in a helpful way.

Some of those towns aren't bad if you are looking for specific things regarding weather, scenery, access to larger communities/interstates. etc.

Old 03-08-2012, 05:30 PM

4,600 posts, read 6,359,230 times
Not satisfied with the generalized (mostly accurate from what I know) above response ? Then try asking a set of more specific questions that may actually be of more value to you. My situation as a retired white collar worker from the Telecom industry (former hippie from the Santa Cruz Mtns), may differ from your requirements. What works for me may not work for another individual. Located within the City-Data web site is a detailed profile of each city/town you asked about....have you been able to access that data ?

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 03-08-2012, 05:37 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,984,794 times
No idea. I have my doubts you will find anyone here that has thorough knowledge of every place you listed and could effectively compare and contrast them.

Old 03-08-2012, 05:49 PM

17,790 posts, read 13,682,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
No idea. I have my doubts you will find anyone here that has thorough knowledge of every place you listed and could effectively compare and contrast them.
Actually if you are looking at things from a completely negative perspective, Ponderosa's response is pretty darn accurate,

Old 03-08-2012, 07:52 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,432,086 times
1. Show Low

My 2nd through 18th choices aren't even on your list

Old 03-09-2012, 06:35 AM

7,174 posts, read 9,225,978 times
Are you looking for a retirement place? A place to work? What are you seeking? That makes a big difference.

On the mormons. There are a lot of mormons in the rural areas of Arizona. I've never had a problem with them. For the most part they are easy going and friendly same as others. Yes they might look at you funny 'cause you are from somewhere else. But when I see a large male in neon pink here in PHX I look at him funny as well. So what. Smile and wave. Go over and talk to them.

FWIW here's my list.

Ajo - IDK
Benson - Mostly driven thru to somewhere else. Small town in the high desert. Desert is pretty.
Bisbee - IDK. Been there as a kid with my parents.
Camp Verde - Don't limit yourself to Camp Verde here. Explore the Verde Valley. Some really nice country to explore around.
Coolidge - Small town in the flats. Lots of farming nearby. Real estate is probably cheap there.
Douglas - IDK
Eagar/Springerville - I've only been there a few times. Small town. Beautiful high country. You're in the forest here.
Eloy - Farming town. Bigger than Coolidge. Lots of truck stops on this section of I-10 all the way from Picacho to Casa Grande.
Florence - Small town. The desert east of there is interesting.
Globe/Miami - Mining towns for sure. But you have the Pinal Mtns to the south and the Salt River Lakes to the north. Also the Sierra Anchas to the north.
Kingman - Big town, not a city but not a small town IMO. EZ access to Laughlin. Lots of places to explore. Not familiar with it really.
Mammoth/San Manuel - Small mining town. Lots of pretty country around.
Parker - IDK. I was there as a kid. Along the Colorado river.
Safford - This qualifies as a small city if you include the surrounding towns from Pima to Solomon to the Mt Graham turnoff to the south. I lived here for a year in the 80s. People were easy going and friendly. Sure lots of mormons but not really a majority despite what you hear. Lots of cool country to explore around here.
Show Low - Instead of Show Low think Show Low Pinetop area. I lived here almost a year. Again lots of mormons but not a majority. High country in the forest. Very pretty. Cold in the winter.
Snowflake/Taylor - Small towns. People were friendly but I only visited once a week when I was there. High plains. But lots of drivable country around.
Willcox - Small town on the freeway. The people were friendly here. Right on the freeway for the most part. You can find lots further away. There is plenty of country to see from here.
Winslow - IDK

For me my job is first consideration in where I live. That will change when I retire. Maybe.

Old 03-09-2012, 03:23 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,693,227 times
On that list BISBEE first and then Parker. But my first choice is Sierra Vista

Old 03-11-2012, 09:27 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,899,930 times
It all depends on the person AND if that person has an income to live on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona