Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 02:06 PM

1 posts, read 5,638 times

Advertisements

Sorry to post the first day I've joined, but I'm trying to find some info on Ajo, Az and the search engine doesn't come up with anything.

I have the possibility of getting a job in a small town (about 4000) down South, near the border, named Ajo, AZ. The pay is enough to live on, comparatively speaking, but I don't seem to find much info on apartments, condos, or houses in the area.

I'd also like to know as much about the weather there as well. Is it high enough to be a touch cooler, or do I have to expect the blistering heat ?

Everywhere seems to be 100 miles away and a couple of hours drive, is UPS or FEDEX alive and well down there ?

What the heck am I gonna' do when I'm not working ? Are there any recreational opportunities worth thinking about..? Any water at all, creeks, rivers, resevoirs, etc.?

Thanks for reading and responding with any, or al, info that you may have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2006, 02:30 PM

285 posts, read 785,005 times
Driven through it many times on the way to Rocky Point Mexico. Very small town. Not sure if you would find apartment or condo complexes. Probably at best rent an old house. If you're used to small, isolated towns, you'd probably OK.

On the positive side you would be a little over an hour drive from a popular Arizona weekend get-away known as Rocky Point or Puerto Penasco pronounced in spanish. It is a thriving beach resort (see of cortez) with a myriad of hotels and bars. Been going there for over 30 years now and still have a ball eating fish tacos and drinking Mexican cervesas.

Old 09-20-2006, 03:24 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,155,464 times
See link below for reference, Goggle has info on this town. Good Luck....
http://www.city-data.com/city/Ajo-Arizona.html

Old 11-18-2007, 09:08 PM

1 posts, read 5,367 times
hey Joe
i've owned a home in Ajo since 1994
i mainly lve in santa fe, Nm.
it gets hot june -september
108 in september.
max
the people are great.
i go there to chill out from my construction activities thanksgiving, christmas, easter, the fall is outrageous.
my home is not for rent.
tried that.
you will enjoy the towm, plaza, organ pipe cactus monument, and the rest.

Moderator cut: Advertising

Last edited by sablebaby; 11-20-2007 at 07:39 AM.. Reason: advertising

Old 11-18-2007, 09:22 PM

252 posts, read 952,992 times
I think Ajo is hotter than Phoenix. It is lower and flatter and the desert isn't as pretty.

I don't think there is much to do. No thriving arts, bar or restaurant scene. Not a lot of young people.

I'm sure UPS and Fed Ex do go there, you pass through it to get to San Diego.

Things could have changed, it has been years.

Do a search on this forum, I'm sure you will come up with more information.

Old 11-18-2007, 10:10 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
It's also known for UFO sightings and aliens landing there...

Old 11-18-2007, 10:23 PM

9,599 posts, read 31,685,641 times
Sorry, JoeJapan . . . the reason you're not finding any information on Ajo is probably because there's not much out there.

It is on one of the old main State Highways but that's about it.

The weather is probably a little warmer than Tucson overall but probably no hotter than Phoenix and not quite as hot as Yuma if that helps.

Good Luck

Old 11-19-2007, 11:14 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
They do find some dead illegals around there too. Many come up from the border through that area.
Man aliens, UFO"s, dead people... better think twice living in that dry hot dusty out of this world town.

Old 11-20-2007, 11:20 AM

63 posts, read 217,943 times
moving to Ajo is like a move to the moon with no extra charge for the heat.(blistering, Jume thru Oct.) There's nothing there! You need to rethink your plans. It never rains but once in a blue moon. No shopping, medical facilities, entertainment, nothing to do. If you're a recluse desert rat,you might like it. Cactus, thorns, rattlesnakes and Gila monsters in the all-encompassing desert. Nononononono!

Old 11-20-2007, 01:38 PM

9,599 posts, read 31,685,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normsw View Post
moving to Ajo is like a move to the moon with no extra charge for the heat.(blistering, Jume thru Oct.) There's nothing there! You need to rethink your plans. It never rains but once in a blue moon. No shopping, medical facilities, entertainment, nothing to do. If you're a recluse desert rat,you might like it. Cactus, thorns, rattlesnakes and Gila monsters in the all-encompassing desert. Nononononono!
LOL @ Normsw

Now will you tell us how you really feel? ! ! ! !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona