Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 11:46 PM

2,338 posts, read 4,714,434 times

Advertisements

To answer the question to my own post, San Diego hands down. There is only one thing Rocky Point has to offer that San Diego doesn't. It's that you paid for Mexican Auto Insurance in Ajo or Lukeville and actually drove south of the border instead of parking your car in Nogales,AZ or Andrade,CA.I suppose it might be a novelty first time around to say you drove south of the border. It was for me earlier this year not because it was better than San Diego. But to say I did it once and swam in 80 degree bathwater with no waves in Puerto Penasco.

With that said, I look at Rocky Point as a one time novelty to get it out of your system to say you drove south of the border. I'm a fan of waves and the Gulf of California is bush leagued. I have absolutely no use for taking time off to do that again when San Diego offers far better waves and amenities year around. I'm curious to hear if anyone actually would prefer to spend a weekend at Puerto Penasco to San Diego.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2012, 01:38 AM

7,771 posts, read 6,378,272 times
We enjoyed Rocky Point before the drug unrest began. Today we will go as far as Algodones and no further.

I prefer the warm water of the Sea of Cortez over the ice water of California. I have experienced big waves on the Atlantic coast, don't need them. Go to Hatteras for some serious waves.

Old 09-01-2012, 07:13 AM

357 posts, read 711,642 times
I enjoy RP more but I like Mexico in general, and in RP i like the less crowded beaches and affordability. Now if I could afford to stay at the Del Coronado every trip I might say SD but that's not the case. The weather is better in SD of course too.

So is SD "better"? Yes, I'd say so, but for me I'd rather spend my limited funds on a beachfront stay in Mexico than a Holiday Inn in Hotel Circle where I have to drive to the beach.

Old 09-01-2012, 08:36 AM

4,866 posts, read 11,218,212 times
Have not desire to take the risk of Mexico but would love to go to RP if they ever get the violence under control in Mexico.

Problem with San Diego is the water is too cold to actually enjoy it. Fun place to go but the beach isn't really enjoyable.

Old 09-01-2012, 10:07 AM

Thanks for the replies folks. I LOVE going to San Diego in the offseason which is October to April. The Pacific is in the High 50's and I was literally the only one in the water back in April up at Pacific Beach. The only thing I feel is worse in San Diego than Rocky Point is the parking situation. Very hard to get free parking in Ocean,Mission or Pacific Beach unless you get there at the crack of dawn. The only beachfront parking available usually requires swiping your credit card for $5/hour to park at the SD Beaches. That is my only negative on San Diego.

Old 09-01-2012, 02:35 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,218,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum0417 View Post
Thanks for the replies folks. I LOVE going to San Diego in the offseason which is October to April. The Pacific is in the High 50's and I was literally the only one in the water back in April up at Pacific Beach. The only thing I feel is worse in San Diego than Rocky Point is the parking situation. Very hard to get free parking in Ocean,Mission or Pacific Beach unless you get there at the crack of dawn. The only beachfront parking available usually requires swiping your credit card for $5/hour to park at the SD Beaches. That is my only negative on San Diego.
The water being in the high 50's isn't a negative??? Holy cow, you must have skin of leather. It was 67 when were were there last and I swore never again.

Old 09-01-2012, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
The water being in the high 50's isn't a negative??? Holy cow, you must have skin of leather. It was 67 when were were there last and I swore never again.
I used to install buoys as a lifeguard in NY on Memorial Day when water temps were barely 50 degrees. I have a high tolerance to water temps. Not Polar Bear Club tolerance but 50 is fine with just a pair of swimming trunks, not even a wetsuit. Like I said, you get the ocean to yourself for part of the year. Here's the thing. Once you get your ENTIRE body wet when the water temp is in the high 50's, the wind suddenly feels warm when the air temp is also a similar temp. It's actually more of a shock when the air temp is 75 as opposed to 58 when the Pacific is 58. Really mind over matter. Don't be intimidated by 60 degree water. Gradually get your body wet from your feet up to your head.

Old 09-01-2012, 11:30 PM

135 posts, read 341,994 times
If I want to really swim rather than splash, laze on the beach under a palapa, enjoy the best-ever $2 fish tacos and watch amazing sunsets, I go to Rocky Point.

If I want to get out of the AZ heat, spend a ton of money, drive twice as far but enjoy perfect cycling weather, I'll head to San Diego. Really, it's apples to pomegranates.

Old 09-04-2012, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swbell6 View Post
If I want to really swim rather than splash, laze on the beach under a palapa, enjoy the best-ever $2 fish tacos and watch amazing sunsets, I go to Rocky Point.

If I want to get out of the AZ heat, spend a ton of money, drive twice as far but enjoy perfect cycling weather, I'll head to San Diego. Really, it's apples to pomegranates.
As I just said on the thread involving the BP in Dateland, I was hassled more there yesterday than going through Lukeville. Ocean Beach BTW is pet friendly with their Dog Park right on the beach which made for a lot of fun this weekend.

Old 06-15-2013, 11:53 AM

I am bumping this thread having been to both Rocky Point and San Diego a couple more times since I last discussed this topic.

I am pro San Diego and was extremely disappointed in my most recent trip to Rocky Point last month. I did not feel at all that it was anything more than an under 21 Arizona party scene. I regrettably paid $170 a night at Penasco Del Sol and saw nothing but kids from AZ not even old enough to shave partying all day at the pool. The problem is this hotel is the ONLY hotel that has access to the beach. Everywhere else is a condo or timeshare with beach access. My other trips to Rocky Point were day trips where I spent a few hours in Old Town eating shrimp enchiladas and haggling with vendors. Last month was my first overnight experience. If you stick to Old Town , it's decent for a Mexican day trip. However, I found the town extremely Americanized and will check out San Felipe next time I feel like switching up the Pacific Waves of San Diego for Gulf of California bathwater.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona