Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 04:42 PM

572 posts, read 2,486,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Interesting article on how some Canadians are cashing in on the weak dollar to buy up cheap American houses as second homes in Arizona:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22262472/

Ken
I dont believe it for a minute
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2007, 09:24 PM

3,886 posts, read 10,082,084 times
Does anyone know how much an ARM will rise the first time? I have one coming up in March. I guess I was one of those stupid first time home buyers but our mortgage broker made it sound like no big deal. She assured us we could refinance but no one is refinancing right now due to the problems and new regulations. I trusted my realtor and broker. I really didn't foresee the drastic events this year, no crystal ball. It is odd how gleeful some of you sound about others misfortune though, are you all investors or something? We didn't buy out of our league either. My husband just owns his own business. You know, that stupid "American Dream" thing that doesn't seem to really exist. I thought we could probably afford it until someone on here said it could go up 500.00 to 1000.00 the first time. I started to cry then.

Old 12-30-2007, 09:29 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
Does anyone know how much an ARM will rise the first time? I have one coming up in March. I guess I was one of those stupid first time home buyers but our mortgage broker made it sound like no big deal. She assured us we could refinance but no one is refinancing right now due to the problems and new regulations. I trusted my realtor and broker. I really didn't foresee the drastic events this year, no crystal ball. It is odd how gleeful some of you sound about others misfortune though, are you all investors or something? We didn't buy out of our league either. My husband just owns his own business. You know, that stupid "American Dream" thing that doesn't seem to really exist. I thought we could probably afford it until someone on here said it could go up 500.00 to 1000.00 the first time. I started to cry then.
No one here is going to know without looking at your paperwork. And who says you can't refinance? If your credit is good you can get a new mortgage as easily as you ever could. There is so much BS out there.

Old 12-31-2007, 07:23 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,082,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
No one here is going to know without looking at your paperwork. And who says you can't refinance? If your credit is good you can get a new mortgage as easily as you ever could. There is so much BS out there.
I have been trying to find it in my paper work and have called my mortgage company who tell me they will be sending a letter a month before, with the amount, but I am trying to prepare. I might have to dip into savings.
We aren't a regular loan because of our business. We and other small business owners are always given sub-prime loans because we are "risky" to the mortgage companies. I have talked to many brokers on this issue and right now most mortgage companies are not taking too much risk. You have to be a really clean applicant. Even though I have no big problems on my credit it always boils down to self employment. I would like to refi with the same company to avoid the prepay penalty. I might have to pay it with another company if mine won't refi.

Old 12-31-2007, 06:17 PM

435 posts, read 1,575,985 times
Quote:
Not if you're upside-down on your loan. If, like many people who took out these types of loans at the peak of the boom cycle, this individual's home has lost value and is now worth less than purchase price, or if he/she hasn't owned it long enough to have earned any equity (which my guess is the case, if the interest rate has yet to adjust), forget about refinancing. No lender will touch it. And now, lending criteria are tighter than ever. So even if your home hasn't lost value to the point that you're upside-down on it, your credit would need to be spotless to refinance. The banks who lend the money to mortgage companies are getting killed right now- they're losing billions, and subsequently this type of credit is going to be extremely difficult to come by in the near future. Short-selling might be an idea, but again, you'd have to find a buyer in this market (good luck), and you'd end up owing your bank money if you could. This situation highlights the reason so many are up the proverbial creek, so to speak.

Old 12-31-2007, 07:10 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,334,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Interesting article on how some Canadians are cashing in on the weak dollar to buy up cheap American houses as second homes in Arizona:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22262472/

Ken
Another article on this - this time from an Edmonton paper:

http://www.canada.com/edmontonjourna...b5fe85eaae&p=1

Not a huge trend, but apparently growing.

Ken

Old 12-31-2007, 10:37 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,083,410 times
steve22 warned:

> Quote:
> Originally Posted by Ponderosa
> > ... to know without looking at your paperwork. And who
> > says you can't refinance? If your credit is good you can
> > get a new mortgage as easily as you ever could. ...

> Not if you're upside-down on your loan.

I would guess that if you are upside-down on your loan, you don't have good credit (anymore) if you ever did.

We have a (5-year) ARM that reset in October, but has come down a lot since then. In an earlier post, I said we used it to double up on the principle payment. It's not worth refinancing since the house is for sale now.

Old 01-01-2008, 07:22 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
I have been trying to find it in my paper work and have called my mortgage company who tell me they will be sending a letter a month before, with the amount, but I am trying to prepare. I might have to dip into savings.
We aren't a regular loan because of our business. We and other small business owners are always given sub-prime loans because we are "risky" to the mortgage companies. I have talked to many brokers on this issue and right now most mortgage companies are not taking too much risk. You have to be a really clean applicant. Even though I have no big problems on my credit it always boils down to self employment. I would like to refi with the same company to avoid the prepay penalty. I might have to pay it with another company if mine won't refi.
You may want to verify if prepayment penalties are even legal here in Arizona-----I was told they were not.

Old 01-01-2008, 08:44 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
You may want to verify if prepayment penalties are even legal here in Arizona-----I was told they were not.
Unfortunately, they are legal as long as they are disclosed. It is one of the "predatory" lending practices that is under fire and may end up being outlawed in the future.

Old 01-01-2008, 12:20 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times
Quote:
Unfortunately, they are legal as long as they are disclosed. It is one of the "predatory" lending practices that is under fire and may end up being outlawed in the future.
Thank you for the heads-up.

That sort of penalty should be explicitly illegal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona