Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 10:12 AM

172 posts, read 392,110 times

Advertisements

OP, my apologies...there are actually quite a few nicer houses in your price range in the San Tan Valley area (or the Pinal County side of QC.). There are some people who snub their noses up at Pinal County; I'm not familiar enough with the differences between Maricopa and Pinal to be able to advise you one way or the other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2013, 09:18 AM

451 posts, read 769,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mre0609 View Post
...We currently live in a small town in the mountains of NC, so small towns are great, however closer to the cities would be fine as well, however I would not want to live in the middle of a city. We don't mind the heat, it's the humidity in NC that really gets us down. My husband has arthritis so the dry air really helps him feel better. We've had 30+ days of rain here in NC. We also don't mind snow or lack of snow, we are used to driving in snow/ice during the winter. We would be renting at first, then buying a home. Our home buying budget would be ~$150k, nothing fancy needed, just a safe neighborhood. I would like a scenic place, being near a lake would be nice, but not a neccessity. For those wondering, AZ is our top choice b/c of the desert landscape, dry air, and it's gun friendly. Paradise Valley, Oro Valley, Gilber, Queen Creek, all look nice. Any suggestions? Thanks
I don't know why anyone who actually read the original post would recommend Phoenix. If the OP likes the desert landscape (it takes all kinds, I guess ), then I'd recommend the East Valley if you want to be in the metro-Phoenix area, so places like Gilbert and Queen Creek would be good. Then at least you'd be close to Saquaro Lake and the Salt River. Keep in mind, though, that Arizona also has mountains with pine trees and cooler temperatures. If that sounds more palatable to you, check out Flagstaff or Prescott, somewhere in the in the northern part of the state. (Also, in Arizona, "northern" means "anywhere north of the Phoenix area.) Either of those places are only about a 2 hour drive to the Phoenix area (give or take, depending), so if you want to make a day trip or spend a weekend in the city, it's not unreasonable. I've never been to Oro Valley, but I've heard a lot of good things about it. Wasn't it recently voted the best place in AZ to raise a family? I could swear I heard that on the radio.

Aah, I did. Oro Valley named best Arizona place to raise kids - ktar.com

Best of luck, OP!

Old 07-31-2013, 07:53 PM

129 posts, read 352,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
I would look wherever I could find work. As you said a Job first. Where you look for a job you will have to decide. We can't do that for you.
This is exactly what I did. I found a great job in Yuma and I'm trying to buy a house outside of town.

Old 08-01-2013, 02:27 PM

713 posts, read 1,461,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatCrazyRedhead View Post
I don't know why anyone who actually read the original post would recommend Phoenix. If the OP likes the desert landscape (it takes all kinds, I guess ), then I'd recommend the East Valley if you want to be in the metro-Phoenix area, so places like Gilbert and Queen Creek would be good. Then at least you'd be close to Saquaro Lake and the Salt River. Keep in mind, though, that Arizona also has mountains with pine trees and cooler temperatures. If that sounds more palatable to you, check out Flagstaff or Prescott, somewhere in the in the northern part of the state. (Also, in Arizona, "northern" means "anywhere north of the Phoenix area.) Either of those places are only about a 2 hour drive to the Phoenix area (give or take, depending), so if you want to make a day trip or spend a weekend in the city, it's not unreasonable. I've never been to Oro Valley, but I've heard a lot of good things about it. Wasn't it recently voted the best place in AZ to raise a family? I could swear I heard that on the radio.

Aah, I did. Oro Valley named best Arizona place to raise kids - ktar.com

Best of luck, OP!
you mean like the end of 60 on east side, because gilbert area still lots of farm land, not desert.

oro V is ok, just doesnt have the surrounding jobs. if you are in as a medical person (dr, etc) then fine, otheriwsie oro V is like any other place around it, lacking jobs, etc.

Old 09-03-2013, 05:21 PM

6 posts, read 7,732 times
I dont know where you can live for $150k that is safe and nice but still be somewhat close to work. This isnt the place for you.

Old 09-03-2013, 05:30 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,162,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmomma24 View Post
I dont know where you can live for $150k that is safe and nice but still be somewhat close to work. This isnt the place for you.
That would be because you're unfamiliar with the state, and you're unhappy with your move to Phoenix. Not everyone has the same needs, priorities, and preferences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona