Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 01:57 PM

403 posts, read 666,734 times

Advertisements

I'm planning on visiting Arizona again at some point, but would like to be in an area where there isn't a bunch of annoyingly aggressive African Killer Bees at least. When I was in Phoenix, Arizona there was always a hornet, yellow jacket or killer bee flying around in every restaurant at night (this was in April which shocked me more) and was even stung several times while trying to eat a meal indoors (which I'd obviously like to avoid anywhere). I seriously don't see how people are able to put up with these things in Arizona. Is there any part of Arizona where these irritating aggressive beasts aren't a big problem? I've been phobic of them since birth and would love to spend a summer there without them existing where I am.

Old 05-06-2014, 02:04 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,222,821 times
Oh boy, you're way out of touch with reality. I live here and have witnessed none of what you're describing.

There is no "problem" whatsoever, especially the problem you're describing.

Of course, the higher you go the less of most insects, snakes, critters, you'll encounter.

Old 05-06-2014, 02:19 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,643,139 times
I actually have a bee problem lately. It's only when we're in the pool, but when we are, there are lots of honey bees coming to get water. They must be attracted to the water that gets splashed on the deck as I never see them unless the pool is in-use. They don't seem particularly aggressive although I understand that all wild honey bees in AZ are Africanized. The last few times we swam, I've fished out about 20 floaters within the hour or so after we got out. I think I just have bad luck because I rarely saw any last year.

Old 05-06-2014, 02:25 PM

Maybe I'm looking at the issue incorrectly as I don't consider bees getting a drink out of my pool a problem and see that all the time. A problem to me is when I have a swarm in my yard.

When I see a bee floating in my pool while I'm in there I just let it attach to my hand and then put him outside the pool so it can dry off and fly away.

ETA: I wonder how the OP knew it was a "killer bee" that was buzzing around the restaurant?

Last edited by LBTRS; 05-06-2014 at 02:45 PM..

Old 05-06-2014, 03:06 PM

It's a problem to me since I'm allergic and am not bright enough to remember my EpiPen every time I go out.

I think it's safe to assume that all honey bees here are "killer bees" aka Africanized Honey Bees. http://ag.arizona.edu/urbanipm/buglist/bees.pdf

So, maybe it's normal to have so many bees around my pool. Since you don't seem to mind them, is it safe to assume that you've never been stung? I figured there must be a nearby hive but maybe it's normal and I'm just being paranoid, despite a somewhat justifiable medical excuse. They do seem to come out in droves every time I'm in the pool though.

Old 05-06-2014, 03:16 PM

Oh, being allergic is a whole different situation and I can see how any bees could cause concern.

An Africanized Bee is one thing, "killer bee" is another.

Yeah, been stung many times over my life but have never been stung in the last 5-8 years that I can remember. When you get stung it is normally because the bee gets caught between you and something else and can't fly away. I've never had a bee just land on me and sting me nor has anyone in my family.

Not to mention, a bee sting isn't really a painful experience after you get over the initial surprise of being poked. Kind of like a needle at the doctors office. Now, someone that is allergic is different altogether.

Old 05-06-2014, 03:31 PM

3,822 posts, read 9,475,666 times
Well as someone who was stung by killer bees it does not take much to set them off. All I did was turn the corner on a trail at North Mountain and get within 30 yards of the hive. Turned and ran as fast as I could (and I'm not a slow runner) the second I saw them and the lil' SOB's chased me for about a half a mile. I ended up getting stung about 15-20 times, mostly in my hair and the back of my neck.

It hasn't deterred me from actively trail running or hiking all over the state, but I still get a little nervous when I hear more than a couple buzzing around me. But in the back of my mind I still think about the poor guy south of Tucson last summer who got killed along with his dog by killer bees. Few years back there was also a guy that jumped to his death on Camelback mountain because he was getting stung so much.

Like any other critter in Arizona, just know that they are out there and know what to look for. If I stayed home because I might run into a rattlesnake, scorpion or killer bee I'd never leave my house.

Old 05-06-2014, 03:39 PM

Admittedly, I have a phobia of them. The allergy thing is not a big deal as long as I have an EpiPen. My fear of them is out of proportion to the real threat, I realize that. I'm just annoyed that every time I get in the pool they're flying all over the place.

Old 05-06-2014, 03:40 PM

Trail running and hiking are a far cry from "When I was in Phoenix, Arizona there was always a hornet, yellow jacket or killer bee flying around in every restaurant at night". In my six years here I don't know that I've ever seen a hornet, yellow jacket or "killer bee" flying around a restaurant and I've eaten in a lot of restaurants in those six years.

You're much more likely to run into critters when you're out partaking in outdoor activities.

Old 05-06-2014, 03:43 PM

As much as I am not a fan and annoyed by them trying to partake in my pool time, I've never been bothered by bees, wasps or hornets when at a restaurant either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona