Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 05:03 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,665,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1m1700 View Post
I lost my dad to lung cancer. He smoked for years but he did quit in 1982 but he got lung cancer a few years ago and died.
Oh I am so sorry. I still worry about it i smoked for 10 years, i am only 36 but any little cough and I panic. i started smoking as a teenager, a pack a day for 10 years, I saw my aunt so fraile and thin and in such pain, and that was it I went home and threw my cigs out ,along withmy husbands. In the end, I feel healthier, like the poster above, i never felt any differnetly smoking, it wasnt till I quit I noticed the difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2006, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broc Lee View Post
Personally I feel that if a person can get lung cancer from the minimal amount of time they would spend in a restaurant then there has to be something else wrong with them.

As for the smell... well the man or woman with too much perfume on can ruin a meal just as quick as the smell of a cigarette can. Maybe we should ban that too.

Again, it should be up to the business owner.... let people decide if they want to enter or not.

Minimal? try several hours at one restuarant or bar, added up by years. No one knows how long it takes to develop a problem, I would rather smell perfume than someone that reeks of smoke. I had a plumber come here today and that was all I could smell, I didnt even want to be with him in the room, after he left it was still there, not to mention the butts in the front driveway. And we shouldnt have to choose, smoking is a choice not a requirement, you should have the inconvienence not me.

Old 11-01-2006, 05:17 PM

14 posts, read 35,758 times
Several hours? where do you eat? I am usually in and out within 30 min.

Do you eat at fast food places? You know that is not healthy right, but still it's a choice, not legislation.

If a business started loosing enough business because non-smokers would not enter the place, that business owner would NOT be in business too long and change policy.

I should not have to rush through a meal so I can run out to have a smoke after just as you should not have to endure my smoke, but there should be a choice made by the individual, not the government.

Old 11-01-2006, 08:40 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,161,525 times
Default Why in the world is this on the forum???

Quote:
But seriously, I have been smoking for 25 years, both 1st and 2nd hand smoke are in me... I am just fine. I can still do all the things I use to and my health is still good.
First of all, why isn't this in the "Other Topics" or whatever it's called? Why discuss politics? It never leads somewhere good. However...

Secondly, I'm really not surprised that you are a smoker and objecting this prop. You almost remind me of one of my clients. I'm a therapist who works with the mentally ill. One of my schizophrenic and delusional clients (who also smokes) was getting very heated saying that smoking is healthy for everyone and that it cleans the air. That the gov is going to force everyone to smoke. I'm not saying that you are saying this, it just reminds me of that.

Cigarette smoke is so terribly harmful and deadly for whomever is breathing it in. I'm totally digusted with smokers lately. Especially when they throw their buts out the car window! Hello?!? Is the world your ashtray??? Disgusting! Why do we have to endure their addiction?

Okay, I'll get off my soapbox now!

Old 11-01-2006, 09:51 PM

436 posts, read 681,163 times
..and speaking of riding a motorcycle in AZ - it's hypocrisy how you can easy rider around without a helmet legally, but try driving your car or truck without a seatbelt and watch how quick you'll get ticketed if caught. Why the h__ should we all pay higher insurance premiums because of a segment of motorists who won't use head protection? Either stop enforcing seatbelt laws (for adults), or (better) enforce the law equally. Yeah, yeah I know, seatbelts and helmets can't save you in all accidents, but they help.

Living dangerously with your own life is stupidity, living dangerously with other people's lives is criminal. Get a f__ing clue people - take precautions for your safety and quit smoking yourselves to a premature demise when it's preventable. I'm missing part of a lung from smoking, and you **** right - I quit & you can too. Want to see your kids/grandkids grow into adults? Duh.

Old 11-02-2006, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Several hours? where do you eat? I am usually in and out within 30 min.

Do you eat at fast food places? You know that is not healthy right, but still it's a choice, not legislation.

If a business started loosing enough business because non-smokers would not enter the place, that business owner would NOT be in business too long and change policy.

I should not have to rush through a meal so I can run out to have a smoke after just as you should not have to endure my smoke, but there should be a choice made by the individual, not the government.

Yes you should be the one to rush to finish a meal, you chose to smoke so you have to deal with it. No I dont eat fast food, it's gross. And when my husband go out we like to sit and talk and enjoy our meal, you are finished fast to go have a smoke. We go out twice a week, and we go to other places where people smoke. it is your choice, do you understand that, not ours, why do we need to deal with it, it should be the smokers, dont like having to choose where you go? Why should we when we dont smoke? You keep bringing drinking and driving into this, there are laws against that, if broken they get punished, has nothing to do with this topic.

Old 11-02-2006, 01:30 PM

105 posts, read 147,075 times
Broc lee I'm not sure which is worse- your writing or your logic- perhaps its a tie! LOL Let me teach you something your 5 years of schooling obviously didn't. BREATHE is the word you're looking for.

There will always be pollution and cigarette smoke is obnoxious and its a bad signal to our youth- a nasty habit.

By your logic we should not punish a criminal caught burglarizing a house. Why not? because Broc Lee would say if you punish him you'll have to find all the burglars out there and punish them. That means we have to let this one go????

We do what we can to eliminate smoking - then or at the same time we go after other polluters. Its not ONE or THE OTHER.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona