Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 12:14 AM

1,629 posts, read 2,629,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Have you tried to drive a truck up that stretch? For many trucks hauling huge loads, its a low-gear incline. When we moved here, I had a Penske truck loaded up, with a trailer on back with our Jeep on it. I had to be in that right lane, hazard lights on, as I couldnt hardly move. I was stuck in a convoy of 5 other trucks, all doing the same thing. If one tries to pass, it can take a little time, so try and be patient.
There are signs that prohibit trucks from being in the left lane on that stretch. Honestly, truck drivers need to be more patient and wait until they're at the top of the hill before passing. You gain nothing by trying to go .001 MPH faster than the traffic you're trying to pass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2015, 09:23 AM

173 posts, read 404,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2colo View Post
Speed differentials. Around the climb on the I-17 northbound between Black Canyon City and Sunset Point, people are just reckless. You have truck drivers who cannot climb the hill any faster than they are already going, you have speed demons in luxury cars and pickup trucks who race up the hill and weave in and out, then you have your rental cars driven by people heading up to Flagstaff and the Grand Canyon, out of state drivers from the Midwest who have no idea how to drive up an incline who mainly stick to the right but will dangerously cut into the left lane and continue their ridiculous creep up the hill, and then you have reasonable people who will pass on the left and keep right when it's clear. On the south side, you have your Midwestern drivers who must go 65 or under due to the fact that they have no experience with sharp descents or curves, many of whom sit in the left lane because they fear losing control and driving off the edge, truckers who do the same, slower in state vehicles and travel trailers that stick to the right, and the speed demons who treat the descent like an Olympic slalom. This creates a horribly dangerous situation.
I don't know about you, but the worst offenders always seem to be those with some kind of Scottsdale tag on their car, or California plates

Old 01-27-2015, 10:03 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,647,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokuku View Post
I don't know about you, but the worst offenders always seem to be those with some kind of Scottsdale tag on their car, or California plates
Canadians by far!

Old 01-27-2015, 10:21 AM

4,374 posts, read 11,230,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Canadians by far!
Hey, I'm Canadian and I drive VERY safely on the I17!

I've never caused an accident in almost 40 years of driving.

Old 01-27-2015, 11:24 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,647,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
Hey, I'm Canadian and I drive VERY safely on the I17!

I've never caused an accident in almost 40 years of driving.
That's awesome! I was just half joking about all the snowbirds and their driving tendencies.

Old 01-27-2015, 11:41 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,909,171 times
Default Another one...!

Saw on the news this morning there was another wrong way driver accident on I17. What is wrong with people??? I'm sure it's happened once in a while over the years but lately there's been a real rash of them.

Old 01-28-2015, 06:33 PM

1,699 posts, read 2,433,260 times
Drugs I bet.....

Old 01-30-2015, 12:01 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,924,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokuku View Post
The Scottsdale tag is pretty meaningless. There are a lot of car dealerships in Scottsdale and many of their clients live elsewhere.

Old 01-30-2015, 12:04 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,924,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Saw on the news this morning there was another wrong way driver accident on I17. What is wrong with people??? I'm sure it's happened once in a while over the years but lately there's been a real rash of them.
A 39-year-old Phoenix man arrested in a wrong-way freeway accident in which a fire department dispatcher was fatally injured had a blood-alcohol level nearly four times the legal limit, authorities said Wednesday.

Police: Man Arrested in Wrong-Way Accident Knew He Was Drunk - ABC News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona