Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 08:30 AM

1,399 posts, read 1,250,855 times

Advertisements

"Drivers with kids banned from smoking Kingman"

When I first read the title I thought Kingman was a brand of cigarettes Thought perhaps Kingman was a new form of some medicinal weed.

Sorry just kidding!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2015, 08:49 AM

15,252 posts, read 12,967,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Wow. It's NOT my imagination Kingman's getting better and better. Tho some people'll call me a "lib"; when talking about smoking, I'm def glad to see it being stopped around people who ain't old enough TO smoke. Fair's fair.
I'm not sure how I feel about this.

My parents were smokers and yes, they smoked in the car, usually without even doing the perfunctory crack-the-window-open gesture. We kids hated it. It seems possible some of my adult respiratory problems could be linked to constant exposure to tobacco smoke.

On the other hand, my libertarian side says this is meddling, not much different from Michelle Obama trying to force kids to eat "good for you" unappetizing slop in the public schools.

On the third hand, I'm very much in favor of banning smoking in restaurants and bars.

I need another hand.

Old 05-23-2015, 09:58 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,613,074 times
Quote:
To be fair: not all Cali people are fools. Just like not all Arizona people are nice.
That's not true. ALL Arizonans are incredibly wonderful.

Old 05-23-2015, 10:10 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,906,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I'm not sure how I feel about this.

My parents were smokers and yes, they smoked in the car, usually without even doing the perfunctory crack-the-window-open gesture. We kids hated it. It seems possible some of my adult respiratory problems could be linked to constant exposure to tobacco smoke.

On the other hand, my libertarian side says this is meddling, not much different from Michelle Obama trying to force kids to eat "good for you" unappetizing slop in the public schools.

On the third hand, I'm very much in favor of banning smoking in restaurants and bars.

I need another hand.
This I'll say: if "parents" wanna hurt themselves with tobacco or marijuana smoke in an OPEN area; that's 1 thing. Smoking that crap in a sealed place like a car or a house with under 18 kids there IS child abuse IMHO.

Nothing "libertarian" about it; second hand smoke IS bad news. I about 50 and WON'T allow smoking in my house or car. There are lots of ashtrays on my front porch for my smoking friends.

Old 05-23-2015, 10:11 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,906,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelighted View Post
"Drivers with kids banned from smoking Kingman"

When I first read the title I thought Kingman was a brand of cigarettes Thought perhaps Kingman was a new form of some medicinal weed.

Sorry just kidding!
I stuck the word "Kingman" on the title when I copied and pasted, it didn't come out looking right. lol

Old 05-23-2015, 10:45 AM

15,252 posts, read 12,967,886 times
Quote:
I about 50 and WON'T allow smoking in my house or car. There are lots of ashtrays on my front porch for my smoking friends.
You're more tolerant than I. I won't allow it anywhere on my property.

Old 05-23-2015, 11:58 AM

7,068 posts, read 6,470,276 times
I'm all for personal choice and smoking tobacco is legal of course and people have that right. But in my view, one's rights end when anothers rights are infringed upon, ie inhaling other people's smoke, especially when I'm guessing they are thinking kids can't drive yet and make the decision to not drive with a smoking adult.

One thing I will say that's kind of odd about this type of law....shouldn't banning smoking in one's home be passed and just as valid if this law can pass? I understand the close quarters of a car but a window can be opened easily to let smoke out. And some homes are small or have small rooms where smoke can accumulate just as much, especially with someone chain smoking all day and night. Not saying it should or shouldn't be banned in homes when kids live in a home but thinking this would be logical if the goal is to protect kids lungs. Or adults for that matter because last time I knew, they have lungs too and smoking is banned in many parts of the country in restaurants and such. Perhaps it's a private vs public property thing but cars are personal private property and then we have to think how/if such laws will be enforced....ooops, can of worms is fully opened.

Old 05-23-2015, 12:58 PM

6,341 posts, read 14,689,197 times
Quote:
This I'll say: if "parents" wanna hurt themselves with tobacco or marijuana smoke in an OPEN area; that's 1 thing. Smoking that crap in a sealed place like a car or a house with under 18 kids there IS child abuse IMHO.

Nothing "libertarian" about it; second hand smoke IS bad news. I about 50 and WON'T allow smoking in my house or car. There are lots of ashtrays on my front porch for my smoking friends.
the dangers of smoking are very well documented. Ten or twenty or thirty years of constantly abusing yourself during all of your waking hours is required to possibly cause a cancer in some percentage of people, but not all of them.

Smoking might be the least-harmful of all harmful activities if you do the math, but math *is* hard, and cigs are stinky, so we need a *law*, to protect the children and all.

Because if mom smokes in the car eighteen hours a day for the child's entire childhood, the child might only have to smoke themselves for another decade or so before they get cancer.. or not..

Old 05-24-2015, 08:27 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tumamoc View Post
It wouldn't surprise me at all if the AZ legislature passes a law that bans towns from enacting this ordinance, like they did with plastic shopping bags and destroying firearms.
Nah. The ruling religious coalition does not approve of smoking (or drinking). They have no problem taking away people's rights to do things they disapprove of.

Old 05-28-2015, 03:03 PM

892 posts, read 1,500,450 times
This has absolutely NOTHING to do with the safety and health of the children, that just happened to be a handy way to get the populous behind yet another tax on "immoral" or "undesirable" behavior.

If it was really that big of a deal to the lawmakers, it wouldn't be a measly $50 fine, and nothing else. This is a money grab, plain and simple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona