Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 03:35 PM

3 posts, read 20,807 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone!

I am thinking about relocating to AZ from the Northeastern US and one of the things that I am entirely sick of is spending hours of my day in a car. In fact, the plan is to get rid of the car altogether. What I would like to know is if anyone has any suggestions for areas in AZ where you can get by without a car?

Also I really would like to find the most inexpensive place to live (provided that it's not outrageously dangerous, which I doubt any places in AZ would compare to Philly in that respect.)

About me: I work in IT, so finding a job is usually not a problem, but I would probably be better off if there were some large companies around (though they needn't be tech companies.)

So, if any of you remember scraping by without a car as a student perhaps or have any suggestions, I would certainly appreciate it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2012, 03:49 PM

5 posts, read 11,578 times
Parts of Tucson, specifically by University of Arizona. Tucson also has a good award winning bus system. Also, Tempe might be a good choice for you.

Old 03-19-2012, 04:34 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,708,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Button88 View Post
Hi Everyone!

I am thinking about relocating to AZ from the Northeastern US and one of the things that I am entirely sick of is spending hours of my day in a car. In fact, the plan is to get rid of the car altogether. What I would like to know is if anyone has any suggestions for areas in AZ where you can get by without a car?

Also I really would like to find the most inexpensive place to live (provided that it's not outrageously dangerous, which I doubt any places in AZ would compare to Philly in that respect.)

About me: I work in IT, so finding a job is usually not a problem, but I would probably be better off if there were some large companies around (though they needn't be tech companies.)

So, if any of you remember scraping by without a car as a student perhaps or have any suggestions, I would certainly appreciate it!
Arizona doesn't really have any cities that are truly walkable in the sense that you're used to. Everything is VERY spread out particularly in the Valley, it's almost a necessity to have a vehicle. I really can't think of any area that you could get by without having a car, not even downtown Scottsdale if you have an IT job.

Define "inexpensive". There are some areas in Mesa/Apache Junction that have homes for less than $100K but they aren't areas you'd ever catch me in! We have our fair share of crime and the lower you get in housing prices, the higher the crime rate. It's best to buy something in a better community such as Chandler/Gilbert/Tempe than it is to purchase a cheap home in a questionable area. There are some neighborhoods in Mesa that I wouldn't want to walk around in the daylight much less live there.

I think you need to be a bit more specific with your wants/needs.

Old 03-19-2012, 05:16 PM

39,093 posts, read 51,283,353 times
Arizona (especially the cities) is a product of the automobile age. This is no place to be without a car. Even if you went to a smaller town, you would miss out on so much of what AZ and the southwest has to offer. Distances are large, transportation options are few.

Old 03-19-2012, 05:43 PM

19,447 posts, read 27,876,065 times
Totally agree with Ponderosa and SpeedyAZ. My brother can not drive and lives in Phoenix near a relatively good bus route. He has no choice, but finds it damn difficult. To CHOOSE to live in this area without a vehicle would be nuts, IMHO.

Consider NYC, Washington DC, Chicago, San Francisco - Here's a list to get you started.

Old 03-19-2012, 07:23 PM

3 posts, read 20,807 times
The only problem with that list is that it mostly consists of towns where the average rent on a 200 sq. ft. room is over $1500 per month. Thanks for the information though. According to walkscore.com, there are some neighborhoods where you can run most errands by walking (so the only thing left would be getting to work.)

Old 03-19-2012, 09:00 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,784,204 times
I live in Midtown with a walkscore of 71 and do fine without. I take LR to the bus to work for 3.50 per day, a co-worker comes in on the 60 from Chandler to the Glendale border, and just had a 3400 repair bill. My expenses for three months in a tropical paradise, this Summer will be less than that, and I won't need a car there, either. Some of the exhurbs, where many pro car folks live could be completely razed and most couldn't care less or would even notice.

Old 03-19-2012, 09:50 PM

201 posts, read 611,955 times
If you wondered where that walkscore of 71 came from in previous post try here. Get Your Walk Score - Find Walkable Apartments and Rentals I join the general consensus here, you need a car here.

Old 03-20-2012, 06:25 AM

1,552 posts, read 6,480,345 times
How bout Oatman get a internet connection order things online? nice and tiny has the necessities required.

Old 03-20-2012, 07:29 AM

7,191 posts, read 9,255,201 times
Agree with the rest. I lived car free for several years using a bicycle in Tucson. It's not as bad as people make out but as Ponderosa says you miss out on so much without a car. Walking would make you even more dependent on the bus systems.

I suggest you come out for a visit and look over some prospective areas first. Before that "wonder" around some neighborhoods in google earth with the places turned on. See how far it is to the grocery, stores, entertainment, etc. Then actually walk some of them when you get here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona