Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2017, 12:05 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,302,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt AZ View Post
Anybody complaining about disappearing cowboys?
Where have all the Cowboys gone? Long time passing....where have all....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2017, 09:09 AM

1,399 posts, read 1,250,607 times
I was sitting on my balcony at dusk when a grasshopper launched itself from the ground. It must have misjudged the distance from the ground to the roof or it did not compensate for a wind factor. Anyways the poor grasshopper crashed into the wall at the top of my balcony instead of landing on the roof.

AZ was indeed a terrible place for that grasshopper!

Old 10-26-2017, 10:10 PM

7 posts, read 10,431 times
I talk to people frequently about living in AZ and it's commonly the same displeasures about heat, drugs, desert landscape, rocks, dirt, etc.

As a native to the PNW, I cannot tell you how appealing the HEAT... HOT HOT CLIMATE really is. Crime, drugs, extremely high priced housing, ridiculously snobby people, homeless population is insane the population continues to grow at an alarming rate...etc, etc. All of these things continue to plague the state of Oregon. So much rain, gray skies for so much of the year, HORRIBLE traffic and no grid system to accommodate the continuous growth.

I have to wonder if those who have grown up in AZ have dislikes simply from a lifetime of exposure, where my wife and I actually enjoy spending time during the summer in AZ. The triple digits are the most appealing to us. People use sun lamps around here to try and counter the depression they experience from the months gray, dark and rainy weather we get every year. I have never heard of anyone living in a sunny climate who needed a cloud lamp to offset the frequent sunlight.

I'm sure it's all relative, but my wife and I will be calling Arizona our home by the end of next summer. Phoenix, Gilbert, Peoria...all being looked at. I can understand desert setting may not appeal to everyone, but there is so much openness and room to grow in AZ. Genuinely cannot wait to have our home sold and make a life where we can dry out after more than 45 years in the PNW.

Old 10-27-2017, 04:52 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,957,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW2AZ View Post

I have to wonder if those who have grown up in AZ have dislikes simply from a lifetime of exposure.
Growing up here, couldn't wait to get away. After spending some time in Houston and New Orleans during the summer I realized that I really underappreciated Phoenix

Old 10-27-2017, 06:55 PM

812 posts, read 795,397 times
Quote:

I'm sure it's all relative, but my wife and I will be calling Arizona our home by the end of next summer. Phoenix, Gilbert, Peoria...all being looked at. I can understand desert setting may not appeal to everyone, but there is so much openness and room to grow in AZ. Genuinely cannot wait to have our home sold and make a life where we can dry out after more than 45 years in the PNW.
All of those towns are good options. I can guarantee that you will dry out here!

Old 10-28-2017, 08:18 AM

656 posts, read 813,621 times
Quote:
I talk to people frequently about living in AZ and it's commonly the same displeasures about heat, drugs, desert landscape, rocks, dirt, etc.

As a native to the PNW, I cannot tell you how appealing the HEAT... HOT HOT CLIMATE really is. Crime, drugs, extremely high priced housing, ridiculously snobby people, homeless population is insane the population continues to grow at an alarming rate...etc, etc. All of these things continue to plague the state of Oregon. So much rain, gray skies for so much of the year, HORRIBLE traffic and no grid system to accommodate the continuous growth.

I have to wonder if those who have grown up in AZ have dislikes simply from a lifetime of exposure, where my wife and I actually enjoy spending time during the summer in AZ. The triple digits are the most appealing to us. People use sun lamps around here to try and counter the depression they experience from the months gray, dark and rainy weather we get every year. I have never heard of anyone living in a sunny climate who needed a cloud lamp to offset the frequent sunlight.

You need sunlight to make Vitamin D3, sunlight improves mood. Light-starved folks in the PNW suffer. I live in Arizona, but visit Seattle and Olympia frequently.

Old 10-28-2017, 11:18 AM

7,043 posts, read 6,295,966 times
The heat did get to me in September, when I first moved here. My hope is that by next summer my blood will have thinned.

Living in Minnesota for most of my life, my blood is prepared for cold, cold, cold. It's a pleasure to feel the warmth now.

Even though it's a terrible place to live.

Old 10-28-2017, 11:30 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,645,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
The heat did get to me in September, when I first moved here. My hope is that by next summer my blood will have thinned.

Living in Minnesota for most of my life, my blood is prepared for cold, cold, cold. It's a pleasure to feel the warmth now.

Even though it's a terrible place to live.
LOL, blood doesn't thin when you move somewhere warm.

Old 10-28-2017, 07:16 PM

7,043 posts, read 6,295,966 times
Hmmm. Then maybe it's the hope my body will adjust to the heat.

Old 10-28-2017, 07:56 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,191,620 times
meo92953 -- I can understand how hard it is to get used to the heat. It is getting a little bit cooler here, which is nice! You picked a great time to move to AZ - you will have had the fall, winter, and spring to gradually get used to the heat coming next summer. I think the worst is over with for this year. The heat seems to be lasting longer into the fall as the years go by.

That being said, I would have an ice-scraper handy for late November-January. We can get quite frosty windshields early in the morning. Hopefully you brought yours with you. And make sure you do have a heavy sweater or jacket as we do get a few cold days. And a pair of gloves! The cool-down tends to happen quite rapidly - but the weather reports will let you know.

Hopefully you are settling in, and starting to form some relationships - Doctors, neighbors, church, etc. It does take time, but people here are very welcoming, because many have come from somewhere else themselves!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona