Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Governor Doug Ducey doing a good job so far?
yes 14 37.84%
no 19 51.35%
maybe 4 10.81%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2016, 12:07 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,228,371 times

Advertisements

Educational funding is a joke. Does nobody remember the budget fiasco last year and the outcry about the continued cuts? Or the proposed further cuts this year? It continuing to ignore voter approved and court mandated tax earmarks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2016, 12:11 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,947,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
Educational funding is a joke. Does nobody remember the budget fiasco last year and the outcry about the continued cuts? Or the proposed further cuts this year? It continuing to ignore voter approved and court mandated tax earmarks.
Are you not aware of proposition 123 which Ducey put on the ballot that will put billions into school funding?

Vote Yes on Prop 123: Home
yesprop123.com/
Let's Vote YES for AZ Schools supports Governor Ducey's K-12 education plan to allow additional and sustainable funding that our schools currently do not ..

What is Prop 123?
Prop 123 is a ballot measure that, if it passes, will settle a years-long lawsuit and put $3.5 billion into Arizona’s K-12 public schools over the next 10 years without raising taxes.

The majority of the $3.5 billion funding comes from Arizona’s state land trust fund, an invested account that earns income annually and has nearly doubled in value over the past five years.

Voting YES on Prop 123…

Injects an additional $3.5 billion into public schools over the next 10 years
Doesn’t raise taxes
Protects future generations of students
Keeps quality teachers in Arizona

Whether this passes or not is up to the voters but I give Gov Ducey an A+ for trying to address the school problems.

Old 05-07-2016, 12:19 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,963,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by autism360 View Post
Are you not aware of proposition 123 which Ducey put on the ballot that will put billions into school funding?

yesprop123.com/
Let's Vote YES for AZ Schools supports Governor Ducey's K-12 education plan to allow additional and sustainable funding that our schools currently do not ..

What is Prop 123?
Prop 123 is a ballot measure that, if it passes, will settle a years-long lawsuit and put $3.5 billion into Arizona’s K-12 public schools over the next 10 years without raising taxes.

The majority of the $3.5 billion funding comes from Arizona’s state land trust fund, an invested account that earns income annually and has nearly doubled in value over the past five years.

Voting YES on Prop 123…

Doesn’t raise taxes

Whether this passes or not is up to the voters but I give Gov Ducey an A+ for trying to address the school problems.
It's a shame people are falling for this scheme. The State Treasurer, himself along with the previous 6 (except Ducey) are calling this a con job on the Land Trust.

It's actually a way to prevent the State from having to pay their settlement in Cave Creek v. DeWitt by putting the money on the backs of future generations. They have the surplus in the budget, most of it is a result of not paying their legal obligations owed to the public schools per Prop 301, but they are using the budget for corporate tax cuts.

In essence, if you put this together we are using the State Land Trust to subsidize corporate tax cuts. Except that the triggers are on the Schools in case of a recession.

Old 05-07-2016, 12:21 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,228,371 times
Trying to address school funding is following the law and the will of the voters, not putting a short term end around at the cost of the state trust, future flexibility and for the benefit of his cronies

Old 05-07-2016, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
Trying to address school funding is following the law and the will of the voters, not putting a short term end around at the cost of the state trust, future flexibility and for the benefit of his cronies
Some would say trying to put billions of dollars into the education fund is following the law and the will of the voters, he inherited this problem from Democrat janet Napolitano the very liberal exgovernor of this state and is trying very hard to clean up her mess.

Last edited by autism360; 05-07-2016 at 12:55 PM..

Old 05-07-2016, 12:39 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,963,115 times
Quote:
Some would say trying to put billions of dollars into the education fund is following the law and the will of the voters, he inherited this problem from janet Napolitano the very liberal exgovernor of this state and is trying hard to clean up her mess.
That's a funny way of remembering things.

Old 05-07-2016, 01:00 PM

8,044 posts, read 12,270,117 times
Quote:
The economy is doing must better in Arizona since Ducey took office and growth and new buildings are popping up everywhere and he is working hard to attract new business. Ducey has also been very careful not to step in any political potholes that would hurt business growth and is really working hard to address the funding issues for schools. I would give him a solid B so far.
I have not heard of any businesses leaving the state and the outlook for Arizona under his administration looks very bright indeed !!!!!
For the most part I agree with this, and it's why I believe he's much more of a leader than Brewer or Napolitano. He comes from a successful business background, and that alone is beneficial for attracting business to the state. I have hopes that he can be another Symington in this regard. I still don't consider Ducey a solid conservative on fiscal matters, however. If he really wants to address the education problem, he would oppose Prop 123 and move toward privatization of schools.

Old 05-07-2016, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
For the most part I agree with this, and it's why I believe he's much more of a leader than Brewer or Napolitano. He comes from a successful business background, and that alone is beneficial for attracting business to the state. I have hopes that he can be another Symington in this regard. I still don't consider Ducey a solid conservative on fiscal matters, however. If he really wants to address the education problem, he would oppose Prop 123 and move toward privatization of schools.
I think the problem with the schools is overblown considering how bad the schools are in liberal states however I think the problem goes to perception and some businesses do not want to move here because AZ is perceived as having bad schools, if he throws billions into education funding that could go a long way into showing we are getting our act together on fixing the school issues.

Old 05-07-2016, 01:11 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,427,256 times
Quote:

yesprop123.com/

What is Prop 123?

Voting YES on Prop 123…

Doesn’t raise taxes

Yes, we are AWARE of Prop 123. It takes away what the voters passed years ago that the legislature never complied with, and while it looks great now as a quick infusion of money, people are not looking at some of the other aspects of the proposition. It's not as rosy as you and the Governor and its other proponents make it look.

A+ ? You are a very easy grader.

All the buildings going up, whichever ones you are referring to, have nothing to do with a governor who has been in office less than a year and a half. Glad you like your rose colored glasses.

Old 05-07-2016, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Yes, we are AWARE of Prop 123. It takes away what the voters passed years ago that the legislature never complied with, and while it looks great now as a quick infusion of money, people are not looking at some of the other aspects of the proposition. It's not as rosy as you and the Governor and its other proponents make it look.

A+ ? You are a very easy grader.

All the buildings going up, whichever ones you are referring to, have nothing to do with a governor who has been in office less than a year and a half. Glad you like your rose colored glasses.
http://yesprop123.com/

So what am I missing? The teachers all seem to be behind the Ducey proposed prop123 bill?

and the experts are saying we will have steady growth under Gov Ducey

http://azbigmedia.com/ab/economy/exp...rizona-economy

Experts predict steady growth for Arizona economy

Quote:
Corporate credit rates: The state of business credit is exceptionally good. Credit spreads have narrowed with business default rates very low and financial stress light.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona