Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2016, 01:38 AM

285 posts, read 377,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum0417 View Post
The LDS corridor from Heber to Eagar very much is slim pickings for those who move without employment connections already in place. Very nice high country scenery but so is Williams and Flag that are not politically under the thumb of the LDS . SNOWFLAKE....Founded by 2 LDS families....Snow and Flake. Descendants of Jeff Flake.
I don't think these comments about the LDS are fair, since all of Arizona is run by the LDS except Scottsdale, Phoenix, and Tucson.

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1078634,1596102

Worst place: Tempe, it used to be a nice college town but not with all the overdevelopment.
Nicest place: Scottsdale

Last edited by theoaks; 06-07-2016 at 01:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2016, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddyearp View Post
I forgot to post me why about Nothing. Because there's nothing left.

Moving on down, the Show Low/Pinetop-Lakeside area is awful as well. Just do a search here and many will say that it is full of LDS and therefore not a welcoming area to visit or live in.
I don't think that's fair. I did not find the LDS in Show Low to be unwelcoming and have visited there on several occasions. One time, an LDS developer even opened the locked gates to his brand new development of new mountain estates to let me look around and take photos.

Do these posters wish to apply their same LDS prejudice to California towns run by the LDS, such as Carlsbad, Oceanside, Temecula, Santa Clarita, Beaumont, Murrieta, Rocklin, South Lake Tahoe, Thousand Oaks, Laguna Hills, Dana Point, Chico, Auburn, Orinda, Clayton, and Palm Springs? I'd say these California towns are all awesome places to live, and routintely make the top 20 places to raise a family, with the lowest crime rates ! .

Last edited by theoaks; 06-07-2016 at 01:55 AM..

Old 06-07-2016, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddyearp View Post
I've been on a sarcastic ironic pseudo negative about all of Arizona lately, but I'm going to break it just for a second and say, in all honesty, I could not agree more. There is no such thing as some sort of LDS "good old boy club" up on the mountain.

I moved there in the fall of '97 not knowing a single soul nor having any prospects or even a place to live (they call it boondocking now) and had a decent full time job and a place to live before the first snow flew.
The LDS run the entire mountain (Northern AZ), don't know if it's a good ol' boy club or not.\

Show Low did let Wallmart, Home Depot, Lowes, etc. into town, so they're not as anti-growth as other nearby LDS cities such as Eagar.

Palm Springs, CA - now THAT is a HUGE GAY Mormon good ol' boy club, along with Beaumont, CA !

Palm Springs, has always been that way, I have no idea how the gay population began moving into the town in the past 20 years, given the overwhelming LDS control at both the city and county levels.

Now, Scottsdale and Phoenix have huge gay communities but they're not run by the LDS.

Last edited by theoaks; 06-07-2016 at 02:00 AM..

Old 06-07-2016, 02:57 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,809,336 times
I remember being in Peridot on the San Carlos Reservation about 6 years ago and was absolutely disturbed at the poverty I witnessed. Other than Pine Ridge in South Dakota, the most depressed place I have ever seen.

Old 06-07-2016, 04:55 AM

3,109 posts, read 2,974,718 times
Parker.....Seligman.....Winslow....BHC.....Casa Grande.....Eloy....

Old 06-07-2016, 04:58 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,576,488 times
Bullhead City?

Old 06-07-2016, 04:58 AM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,280,148 times
Winslow and the never ending stream of Eagles quips that residents must have to endure.

Old 06-07-2016, 05:03 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,576,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by :-D View Post
Bullhead City jk haha.

The title belongs to Yuma. Yuma is hands down the worst place I can imagine living in. It is the probably the blandest city I have ever seen, it is insanely hot there, the scenery is ugly, there is no economy, and it is boring.
How funny. I started at the end and BHC was mine. I've only stayed there and the Phoenix metroplex. Never went to Yuma.

BHC was just........hot! And small, and poor-seeming.

Old 06-07-2016, 07:06 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,431,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcoIsland1980 View Post
Winslow reminds me of Tucumcari, NM. Except that half the businesses (even franchise chains!) off I-40 aren't shuttered. Honestly I love old 'dying' towns like that. Never lived in one, though...

Worst place to live in AZ I'd say would be Tempe, Mesa, or West Phoenix. Yuck. The least desirable neighborhoods of Tucson - and to a lesser extent, Flagstaff - would even be preferable to those metro-Phoenix areas.
You have to know absolutely nothing about living in Tempe (beyond living in an ASU dorm, perhaps, but even then) to say that. (frankly, you must not know much about living in Mesa, either). "West Phoenix"? Not the worst place to live in the whole state, no.

Old 06-07-2016, 07:09 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,431,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoaks View Post
I don't think these comments about the LDS are fair, since all of Arizona is run by the LDS except Scottsdale, Phoenix, and Tucson.

Re: Do Mormons control all cities in Arizona, except Scottsdale?....

Worst place: Tempe, it used to be a nice college town but not with all the overdevelopment.
Nicest place: Scottsdale

All of Arizona run by the LDS except Scottsdale, Phoenix, and Tucson? I doubt that very much, even just looking at the rest of the Valley, never mind the southern part of the state and to the north, Flagstaff, Prescott and places like Kingman and LHC. Don't think so.

Tempe is still a nice college town, and much more than that. "Overdevelopment"? Not south of Apache. Quiet suburb like always.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona