Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2008, 11:33 AM

2 posts, read 26,695 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I will be making a trip to Arizona in July and would like to have some feedback for some recommendations for an (5-6 day) itinerary. We will be staying in Scottsdale and our definite points of interest are the Grand Canyon, Sedona, and a few other sites that we are trying to decide between: Montezuma Castle, Red Rock State Park, and/or Slide Rock. We definitely plan on staying a night at the Grand Canyon, could anyone recommend a hotel in or near the Canyon from the area we will be coming from? I would love to visit an Indian reservation, but I don't know if there is one nearby. Also, if you have any other additions or sights that you highly recommend seeing that would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2008, 12:15 PM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,016,755 times
Finding lodging at the Grand Canyon in July will be tough unless you have a reservation prior, but you might find a place to stay in Williams and drive to the Canyon, about 60 miles, I think. Better yet, stay in Williams and take the wonderful steam train ride to the Canyon! Unless you plan to hike the Canyon, you really don't need two days there...you will probably see what you want to see easily in a day. Be on the lookout for the Condors! They are magnificent, huge birds of prey that soar on the air currents, masters of all they survey. Last time we were at the Canyon two Condors soared about 20 feet over our heads and just floated there, as if waiting for us to get a good look and a great photo.

While you are up there in Northern AZ you should definitely make the loop through Sedona and Oak Creek Canyon (Slide Rock will be extremely crowded and is sometimes shut down due to water impurity from too many swimmers) down through Montezuma's Castle and Well. I prefer the Well myself, it's very serene and shows how ingenious the Supai and Hualapai were. That area of the state, in fact most of AZ, is very scenic and worth the drive. Also in the Verde Valley is the old Calvary Fort in Camp Verde, which is kept in prime condition and gives a great peek into the Old West history of the area.

Old 03-10-2008, 05:23 PM

2 posts, read 26,695 times
Default Thanks!

Thanks, that sounds great! What interstate do you recommend to take that loop? Or is there a different scenic route that is more preferred? Also, I noticed many travelers who stay at the GC recommend the Thunderbird, El Tovar, and Kachina, are these closer to point from where I will be coming from (since I am traveling from Scottsdale)?

Thanks!

Old 03-15-2008, 09:57 AM

1,632 posts, read 6,841,325 times
Be sure to take US 89A from Sedona to Flagstaff. It's less than 30 miles in length, but definitely one of the most scenic routes around. Highway 89 from Prescott to Sedona is also a pretty alternative to I-17, if you have time and plan to visit the city of Prescott.

Old 03-15-2008, 10:25 AM

9,599 posts, read 31,685,641 times
You cannot beat GRAND CANYON RAILWAY | Grand Canyon National Park train | Grand Canyon Railroad . . .

Good Luck!

Old 03-15-2008, 07:35 PM

46 posts, read 179,116 times
Everyone has given you good suggestions. I would also add:

On your trip from Flagstaff (I'm going to pretend you're seeing the Grand Canyon first and then going back to Phoenix/Scottsdale through this route), to Sedona, go (as suggested) through 89A (which is called the switchbacks...very curvy roads but absolutely BEAUTIFUL scenery) instead of I-17. Be warned, it will be a bit slower than usual due to tourist season.

After checking out Sedona, continue on 89A to Cottonwood, and then right on through Cottonwood on Main Street until you hit Clarkdale (Main Street will now be called Broadway). On the right (east) side, will be Tuzigoot National Monument Tuzigoot National Monument (DesertUSA) , and old Indian ruin, which is pretty cool and only costs $2 and will take you under an hour to view.

Go through the rest of Clarkdale (an extremely small town) and continue on 89A up to Jerome. Tourism Information for Jerome Arizona, the Mile High Town with 50 Mile Views Jerome is a copper mining ghost town and very unique.

At this point, if you have time, you could continue on 89A (up the mountain & back down) and visit Prescott--original capitol of Arizona--with its pretty courthouse downtown square and famous "Whisky Row" where you could have a drink at "The Palace" where the Earp Brothers and Doc Holladay have been known to quaff a few! Then follow 69east to get back to the I-17 freeway to head back to Phoenix. WhiskeyRow.US - Prescott Arizona's Source For Everything On Whiskey Row

You could do this all in one day depending on how long you do the tourist thing in Sedona. Probably better in two days.

I was born & raised in Arizona and I have found these places (in addition to the Grand Canyon) to make a great visit for my out-of-state guests. ***caveat, if anyone in your party is prone to car-sickness, I would highly suggest dramamine or something similar before you go riding around the roads. Arizona may be a desert and flat in the Phoenix area, but up north we have lots of mountains and lots of very curvy roads. Believe me, I know!!!

Last edited by RetiredAZTeacher; 03-15-2008 at 07:39 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 03-15-2008, 07:48 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,134,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelinWA View Post
Be sure to take US 89A from Sedona to Flagstaff. It's less than 30 miles in length, but definitely one of the most scenic routes around.
Absolutely, BUT in reverse - from Flagstaff down to Sedona! To see Sedona for the first time unfold before your eyes coming down from Flagstaff is magnificent and should not be done any other way, IMO. Entering Sedona from the other directions can't even begin to compare. It's just a once-in-a-lifetime experience!

Old 03-16-2008, 10:11 AM

1,632 posts, read 6,841,325 times
Good point!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
To see Sedona for the first time unfold before your eyes coming down from Flagstaff is magnificent and should not be done any other way, IMO.

Old 03-20-2008, 06:23 PM

398 posts, read 818,677 times
There is a way to accomplish all the things you would like to do. Out of the Scottsdale/Phoenix area you take Interstate 17 north to Flagstaff. On the way to Flagstaff, stopping for a leg stretch at Montezuma Castle would be perfect. Head on up the hill to Flagstaff and have lunch. Go North on Hwy 89A out of Flagstaff. On this stretch of road you will be on the Navajo Indian Reservation for awhile. About 30 miles or so, you will turn left to the East entrance of the Grand Canyon. Just go about another mile north instead of making your turn and visit the historic Cameron Trading Post in operation since the late 1800's dealing in goods from the Navajo Nation(you are still on the reservation). Then go to the east entrance after your browse in Cameron. It is an incredible drive along the east rim of the canyon before you hit the main crowd. Stop at any or all of the vistas. Stay at any one of the lodges that you mentioned. They are all in the rim area. If you call El Tovar, for instance, it takes you to the National Parks reservation system and they can help. On your return trip to Scottsdale take Hwy 179 back to Flagstaff. Instead of taking the interstate south, take Hwy 89 south to Sedona. You will get the drive down Oak Creek Canyon, can stop at Slide Rock if you decide, or some other pull off in the canyon. Have lunch in Sedona and head on south to Scottsdale. The drive from Phoenix area to Flagstaff is about 2 hours. From Flagstaff to the Grand Canyon, about another hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona