Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2019, 12:11 PM

50,867 posts, read 24,371,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
I would tend to doubt that. If your car isn't registered in CA...why would it need to comply with CA regulations? We don't use all their CARB approved auto parts...why would my windows be any different? If it meets AZ law, CA has nothing to say about it.
I don't know, but I think that's a pretty shaky argument. Do you know that...legally? Different states have different speed laws, and there was a time when different states had different laws about right on red after stop. That didn't matter. You had to obey the laws of the state you were in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2019, 12:20 PM

3,285 posts, read 2,665,506 times
Quote:
If it is legal AZ tint, CA can't give you a ticket for it. I mean they CAN...but it is not a valid ticket.

Really? How so?

It's a violation of the C.V.C. If you get cited, you cannot just say "This isn't a valid ticket" and have that accepted as a valid defense. If you fail to appear, you will wind up with a bench warrant following you around, and that will pop up if you're pulled over in AZ.

CA does not care what AZ laws are. I cannot carry my sidearm in CA and if caught say, "Oh, I'm from Arizona, so your laws don't apply." I will wind up behind bars.

Old 07-22-2019, 01:07 PM

24,482 posts, read 26,021,800 times
Chance of getting a ticket are slim to none. You might get a warning but that's about it.

Old 07-22-2019, 01:17 PM

4,071 posts, read 5,152,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I don't know, but I think that's a pretty shaky argument. Do you know that...legally? Different states have different speed laws, and there was a time when different states had different laws about right on red after stop. That didn't matter. You had to obey the laws of the state you were in.
That is a completely different thing though than what is on your vehicle/condition of your vehicle. Not sure what the legal standing is but common sense would seem to dictate that CA law can't and wouldn't apply to a vehicle registered in AZ. If that were the case, wouldn't you have to go through a thorough vehicle inspection every time you crossed to border to make sure your car is up to CA standards? You don't have to smog vehicles outside of Metro Phoenix and Tucson...are they going to give someone from AZ a pollution ticket because they don't comply with CA law?

Old 07-22-2019, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
Really? How so?

It's a violation of the C.V.C. If you get cited, you cannot just say "This isn't a valid ticket" and have that accepted as a valid defense. If you fail to appear, you will wind up with a bench warrant following you around, and that will pop up if you're pulled over in AZ.

CA does not care what AZ laws are. I cannot carry my sidearm in CA and if caught say, "Oh, I'm from Arizona, so your laws don't apply." I will wind up behind bars.
Again...that is a different thing. And there USED to be reciprocal laws when transporting firearms between CA and AZ...now you are just better off not to.

I just can't see how CA MVD laws and regulations would apply to a vehicle not registered in CA...and yes, Police Officers sometimes make a mistake and write citations in error. I have had a couple (back in my youth) where the officer was either mistaken with the current code or just figured I would pay the fine. If an Officer wrote me a tinting ticket in CA...damn skippy I would be fighting it. There is no universal vehicle code across all 50 states that applies to tinting. They would be hard pressed to spin some legal argument where one state's legal code takes precedence over property registered in another state...

Maybe someone on here knows different?

Old 07-23-2019, 08:55 AM

Quote:
That is a completely different thing though than what is on your vehicle/condition of your vehicle. Not sure what the legal standing is but common sense would seem to dictate that CA law can't and wouldn't apply to a vehicle registered in AZ. If that were the case, wouldn't you have to go through a thorough vehicle inspection every time you crossed to border to make sure your car is up to CA standards? You don't have to smog vehicles outside of Metro Phoenix and Tucson...are they going to give someone from AZ a pollution ticket because they don't comply with CA law?
Kurt, my point was questioning the legality issues of the situation. Your opinion is fine, but you didn't respond to the key point. And by the way, it's not a "far different thing".

Old 07-23-2019, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Kurt, my point was questioning the legality issues of the situation. Your opinion is fine, but you didn't respond to the key point. And by the way, it's not a "far different thing".
Sorry...what key point? That you have to obey traffic laws in another state? Of course, but that is a behavior vs. a material alteration to a vehicle that does not fall under CA registration laws. Now if you were running around in a vehicle that doesn't meet FMVSS...I could see getting pulled over for that. I would find it very odd and VERY defensible if you got a ticket for tint that meets the standard of the state that the vehicle is registered in.

Old 07-23-2019, 05:00 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,093,726 times
Hey...just sayin'....bumperless cars, funky neon lights, heavy tint, etc. Won't fly in Michigan. Do not think about driving your POS, gangsta level vehicle or ORV (with AZ plates) on those streets. Fly in and rent-a-car.....

Old 07-23-2019, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
Hey...just sayin'....bumperless cars, funky neon lights, heavy tint, etc. Won't fly in Michigan. Do not think about driving your POS, gangsta level vehicle or ORV (with AZ plates) on those streets. Fly in and rent-a-car.....
I just wish all those non-emission tested cars from Michigan would stay in their state...there is a reason we have emissions testing in Maricopa County. All those snowbird cars from out of state exacerbate the air quality situation in the winter. But we can't ticket them...they are legal according to the state they are registered in.

Old 07-24-2019, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Sorry...what key point? That you have to obey traffic laws in another state? Of course, but that is a behavior vs. a material alteration to a vehicle that does not fall under CA registration laws. Now if you were running around in a vehicle that doesn't meet FMVSS...I could see getting pulled over for that. I would find it very odd and VERY defensible if you got a ticket for tint that meets the standard of the state that the vehicle is registered in.
I'm not saying this is definitive, but a company in Naples, Florida -- the Enterprise Window Tinting Company -- says on its website, "Enforcement Note : Out-of-State cars driven in California are required to be in compliance with the CA Tint law."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona