Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2020, 01:21 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,636,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
AND, if tons of drivers out here dont already have a total disregard for not only the rules, but, just basic, common, driving courtesy, now our idiotic legislature wants to remove any fines/tickets/consequences for idiots speeding up to 10mph over...Like these nimrods care whether they get a ticket or not, while flying down residential streets, but to actually make it a no harm foul to do so?????? Sometimes I just have to shake my head at the stupidity that seems to reign out here...Isnt it bad enough we had to give the "mouth breathers" almost 2 years before they start getting tickets for holding that *****en cell phone to their face while driving???
Expect to see more Dodge Ram trucks and lifted red neck flatbeds trying to ram people off the interstates and highways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2020, 02:40 PM

4,071 posts, read 5,150,271 times
Quote:
AND, if tons of drivers out here dont already have a total disregard for not only the rules, but, just basic, common, driving courtesy, now our idiotic legislature wants to remove any fines/tickets/consequences for idiots speeding up to 10mph over...Like these nimrods care whether they get a ticket or not, while flying down residential streets, but to actually make it a no harm foul to do so?????? Sometimes I just have to shake my head at the stupidity that seems to reign out here...Isnt it bad enough we had to give the "mouth breathers" almost 2 years before they start getting tickets for holding that *****en cell phone to their face while driving???
Okay...I know you recently moved here but speed limit +10 has been the norm before you get pulled over for years. Even the photo radar vans are set to 11 over. I don't agree with it on city streets by any means but on the Highway/Freeway? I have no issue with that at all. City streets...maybe +5MPH (not in school zones).

Old 02-28-2020, 03:04 PM

1,286 posts, read 1,483,029 times
On the video @ the 2:30 mark when he pulls over the red car... it seems very trivial and not worth the effort to pursue. I get that it *IS* against the law, but it's not like the guy was blocking cars behind him. He was all alone on the road with a lot of open space. I guess like the sheriff says, it's done as a way to educate people.

Old 02-28-2020, 03:23 PM

2,379 posts, read 2,713,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzbk2l View Post
(Although to be fair, so are left lane speeders.)

Good to see Pinal County Sheriff Mark Lamb out there enforcing the law against left-lane hogs.Check him out on youtube: https://youtu.be/Kj0qRCdsMSA

I like that he quotes ARS as he pulls over slow drivers in the left lane: "On all roadways, a person driving a vehicle proceeding at less than the normal speed of traffic at the time and place and under the conditions then existing shall drive the vehicle in the right-hand lane." So much for the argument that, "I'm going the speed limit, so I can drive in any lane I want."

Anybody wish the other law enforcement in Arizona would take an interest in this problem?
With our area unhappily being the center for worse crimes, such as kidnapping and fraud, I think law enforcement has better things to worry about than whether people should be driving faster.

Old 02-28-2020, 03:23 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,920,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
Okay...I know you recently moved here but speed limit +10 has been the norm before you get pulled over for years. Even the photo radar vans are set to 11 over. I don't agree with it on city streets by any means but on the Highway/Freeway? I have no issue with that at all. City streets...maybe +5MPH (not in school zones).
Thanks, Kurt; I am fine with people going 10 over on the highway, in the left/HOV lane, and, even doing 5 over on surface streets(left lane)
What I dont understand, is even though in most metro areas in the USA, its sort of an unwritten rule that up to 10 over on the highway is fine, why make it "the law"? Doesn't make any sense to me, especially in a town like this, loaded with horrible drivers, and endless accidents...Plus, with our #! ranking in pedestrian deaths, what possible benefit is there to make this the law?

I mean, I dont care how fast you want to go in the left lane on the highway; I just can't stand the jerks, who tailgate you in the right lane, when you are doing 5-10 over, and its still not fast enough for them; or,. the arse wipers who think its ok to do 50-60 mph on residential streets, so their brain dead selves can get to the next stoplight before you do..

There is a serious issue with horrible drivers in this town, and by relaxing the speed limit enforcement, that would only make a bad situation worse..Obviously,many of the lawmakers out here aren't intelligent enough to realize that, or, they only care about kowtowing to the segment of people who dont think ANY speed limit applies to them, regardless of where they are; just get the hell out of their way, because, they want to do 10,20, or 30 over when THEY feel like doing it..Might as well just get rid of ALL speed limits everywhere in the state then.

Old 02-28-2020, 04:00 PM

4,071 posts, read 5,150,271 times
Quote:
Thanks, Kurt; I am fine with people going 10 over on the highway, in the left/HOV lane, and, even doing 5 over on surface streets(left lane)
What I dont understand, is even though in most metro areas in the USA, its sort of an unwritten rule that up to 10 over on the highway is fine, why make it "the law"? Doesn't make any sense to me, especially in a town like this, loaded with horrible drivers, and endless accidents...Plus, with our #! ranking in pedestrian deaths, what possible benefit is there to make this the law?

I mean, I dont care how fast you want to go in the left lane on the highway; I just can't stand the jerks, who tailgate you in the right lane, when you are doing 5-10 over, and its still not fast enough for them; or,. the arse wipers who think its ok to do 50-60 mph on residential streets, so their brain dead selves can get to the next stoplight before you do..

There is a serious issue with horrible drivers in this town, and by relaxing the speed limit enforcement, that would only make a bad situation worse..Obviously,many of the lawmakers out here aren't intelligent enough to realize that, or, they only care about kowtowing to the segment of people who dont think ANY speed limit applies to them, regardless of where they are; just get the hell out of their way, because, they want to do 10,20, or 30 over when THEY feel like doing it..Might as well just get rid of ALL speed limits everywhere in the state then.
I understand where you are coming from. Personally, they should leave it alone and up to the officer's discretion. Gives them a reason to pull over a suspicious or misbehaving vehicle, similar to a broken tail light.

I had the distinct pleasure of attending a meeting up at Desert Ridge this week. The L101 in Chandler between L202 and 60 is all a 55MPH Construction Zone (double fines) as is L101 in North Scottsdale. People were still doing 75-90 along these stretches of road.

No one seems to know that I-10 from Warner on south is a "Safety Corridor" meaning a LEO can pull you over for doing 66 in a 65. Here again...80-90 seems to be the norm.

Of course then you get on surface streets down here where the speed limit is 45MPH and everyone is doing 40...or the person flying by at 60. If they realized the lights were timed for about 48...they wouldn't have to keep slamming on their brakes

Old 02-28-2020, 05:49 PM

8,044 posts, read 12,270,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzbk2l View Post
(Although to be fair, so are left lane speeders.)

Good to see Pinal County Sheriff Mark Lamb out there enforcing the law against left-lane hogs.Check him out on youtube: https://youtu.be/Kj0qRCdsMSA

I like that he quotes ARS as he pulls over slow drivers in the left lane: "On all roadways, a person driving a vehicle proceeding at less than the normal speed of traffic at the time and place and under the conditions then existing shall drive the vehicle in the right-hand lane." So much for the argument that, "I'm going the speed limit, so I can drive in any lane I want."

Anybody wish the other law enforcement in Arizona would take an interest in this problem?
I say it's about time these left lane hogs are nabbed by law enforcement. They're clearly breaking the law by poking along in the left lane, holding up the traffic flow, and refusing to move over. I usually try to cut them off by passing on the right. Even when they're cut off, they never seem to grasp the concept of "slower traffic keep right", but at least I don't have to be behind them very long!

Quote:
I'm mixed about that legislation. In most cases, cops won't pull you over for driving between 1 and 10 MPH over anyway, so it's kind of a waste of time to pass a bill like that. I would rather see DPS simply raise the speed limits on most of these freeways. 55 MPH is WAY too low on the 51 freeway, and 65 MPH seems rather slow on the rest of the metro area freeways. As long as traffic isn't too heavy & the weather is clear, most of us can drive at least 75 MPH on the freeways & still be safe. Sorry to break it to you, but people drive fast in AZ because the conditions usually allow for it.

Old 02-28-2020, 06:44 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,920,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Sorry to break it to you, but people drive fast in AZ because the conditions usually allow for it.
I agree the "conditions" are conducive for driving at higher speeds; the problem is, the skill set of so many many drivers out here is so poor, that what you end up seeing are lots of bad drivers, going way too fast for ANY conditions, and that's why we are so high up on the accident/pedestrian hit by cars list..I mean c'mon, you see how many people STILL are putting their phones up to their faces while driving around here.

Making Drivers Ed mandatory would be a good place to start, but I just think there are way too many people in a hurry, and way too many others that are not, hence the incredible accident/injury rates we have in this state.

And letting these same bad drivers know that they now dont ever have to worry about speeding 10mph over, isnt going to make things any better...not that they care how fast they are going most of the time anyways..

Old 02-29-2020, 02:26 PM

90 posts, read 69,542 times
This is a godsend.

I like to count how many Illinois, Wisconsin, Alberta and Minnesota plates I pass anytime on the highway. THIS ISN'T THE NORTH. MOVE. THANKS

Old 02-29-2020, 02:29 PM

8,504 posts, read 4,747,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voebe View Post
With our area unhappily being the center for worse crimes, such as kidnapping and fraud, I think law enforcement has better things to worry about than whether people should be driving faster.
I FIRMLY agree with that. However, if you’re gonna do traffic enforcement, I’d rather it be lane discipline than speeding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona