Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2020, 03:58 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,363,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
I guarantee that if you asked 1000 drivers in phoenix if its illegal to be doing what you are talking about in the left lane,(that is that they are going the exact speed limit) I would bet that 850 or more of them would say that's legal..

Staying to the right, except to pass, is one of the most ignored laws in the USA, sadly..
The problem is the hov lane. Slowpokes gravitate to it.

If it wasn't there they would never dare going towards the far left lane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2020, 07:39 AM

4,068 posts, read 5,139,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
The problem is the hov lane. Slowpokes gravitate to it.

If it wasn't there they would never dare going towards the far left lane.
Even worse is the fact that ours are only part time HOV lanes. you get someone who figures they have 2 people in their car so they are going to use the HOV as there is only one way to get into it (from the right) and just cruise along. What most people moving here don't realize is that is the far left lane outside of commute hours.

Old 03-04-2020, 09:55 AM

8,042 posts, read 12,254,574 times
Quote:
I guarantee that if you asked 1000 drivers in phoenix if its illegal to be doing what you are talking about in the left lane,(that is that they are going the exact speed limit) I would bet that 850 or more of them would say that's legal..
And those 850 would be incorrect. It's only legal to drive exactly at the speed limit in the left lane if the traffic flow in the other lanes is moving at a slower pace. In many cases, motorists are doing 5 to 10 MPH over the limit, even in the right lane when conditions allow for it. So in that case, somebody who insists on camping out in the left lane driving at the speed limit would be breaking the "slower traffic keep right" law.

Quote:
Staying to the right, except to pass, is one of the most ignored laws in the USA, sadly..
I don't know why this is such a difficult task for some people to grasp. It's one of the most basic common sense (and courteous) rules of the road. What's even worse is when the left lane slowpokes are passed by other drivers on the right & swerved around, they often remain in the left lane & don't move over. This is exactly why the Pinal County officer is cracking down on these drivers.

Old 03-04-2020, 10:05 AM

3,424 posts, read 2,916,165 times
I dont know either; like I say, it may have something to do with no Drivers Ed. in high school out here..

Of course, with all the idiot drivers from all over the world descending on Phoenix from November through April, it makes a bad situation even worse..

Old 03-10-2020, 11:31 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,056,700 times
I wish the state would use, like some other states, the well-defined "Keep Right Except To Pass" signage rather than the vague "Slower Traffic Keep Right".....who wants to admit they're slow??........admittedly, some left-lane campers are over there because of heavy traffic and the fear of being caught in the right lane without a clear chance to pass.....

others just never learned......

Old 03-11-2020, 12:41 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,089,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
I wish the state would use, like some other states, the well-defined "Keep Right Except To Pass" signage <snip>
That is the signage they use on the highways up here on the mountain.

Old 03-11-2020, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
I wish the state would use, like some other states, the well-defined "Keep Right Except To Pass" signage rather than the vague "Slower Traffic Keep Right".....who wants to admit they're slow??........admittedly, some left-lane campers are over there because of heavy traffic and the fear of being caught in the right lane without a clear chance to pass.....

others just never learned......
"Slower traffic keep right" is actually the correct wording relating to the AZ traffic law:

https://law.justia.com/codes/arizona...e28/00721.html

Quote:
On all roadways, a person driving a vehicle proceeding at less than the normal speed of traffic at the time and place and under the conditions then existing shall drive the vehicle in the right-hand lane then available for traffic or as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway, except when overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction or when preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway.

Old 03-11-2020, 09:40 PM

3,407 posts, read 4,627,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
"Slower traffic keep right" is actually the correct wording relating to the AZ traffic law:

https://law.justia.com/codes/arizona...e28/00721.html
Well, apparently that's not working for some drivers here. Probably a good time to change the wording.

Old 03-11-2020, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
Well, apparently that's not working for some drivers here. Probably a good time to change the wording.
Changing the wording won't solve anything. Better enforcement of the existing law is the best solution, such as what the Pinal County officer has been doing to educate people. We need more cops like him in the Phoenix metro, and all over the state enforcing the "slower traffic keep right" rule. Left lane slowpokes need to be taught a lesson, regardless if it's through law enforcement or other drivers. If these left lane campers refuse to demonstrate any courtesy & obey the law, then they shouldn't be behind the wheel in the first place.

Old 03-12-2020, 07:03 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,089,707 times
That 'Pinal county officer' is the elected sheriff of Pinal County, Mark Lamb. He doesn't usually make it out on routine patrol I am sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona