Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 02:24 AM

19 posts, read 51,222 times

Advertisements

HI there..I am an RN and a single mom to two boys ages 11 and 2. I was recently offered a job in Bullhead City AZ at one of the local hospitals, and I am not sure if i should accept. I went there for the interview, and I really didn't think it was a "pretty" city. I am currently living in Las Vegas and want out..I like it here, but it is too busy and not a safe place to raise a family. I am ready to settle down and buy a house as I have been apartment living for many years! I am originally from Northern Michigan and DO NOT want to go back to 10 months of cold yucky weather..I lived in Nashville, TN and loved it..but not sure if it's where i would want to STAY.
Bullhead City is a smaller city..which I like..but as far as things to do for the kids, I'm not sure? Laughlin is right across the River I know, fun for me, but the kids? NO..
Pros is, it is centrally located so a drive to a bigger city wouldn't be hard..
Weather is nice year round, and my job would be a day shift..which i really need as it's hard to find a sitter for night shift!
Cons is like i said..NOT a pretty town to me..I'm sorry if that offends some..I really didn't get to see the whole city so I am really not saying that to be judgemental, afterall, I AM considering the move! It just SEEMED like there was only one main road to get through the whole town and it would go from a nice area, to "run down" looking. Most of it that i seen was "run down" looking and reminded me of a place that wasn't taken care of..
Also, things to do for the kids..didn't seem like there was much to entertain them.
And Lastly..The availability of a country setting for a house. I would love to live on acreage..all the houses there seemed to be in subdivisions.
I was just hoping to get some help with my decision as I don't have very long to make it..If y'all could tell me a bit about the place..your likes and dislikes..I really would like to get both points of views! It'll help me decide!
As far as budget goes..i'm pretty open..i don't want to live pay check to pay check..but right now i'm paying $1365/month for a SMALL 2 bedroom apartment, so I'm sure it can't get much worse than that! I WOULD prefer to rent a HOUSE first to kind of "test the waters" so to speak, before I buy..
Anyway..any advice is welcomed and appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2008, 03:58 AM

76 posts, read 307,345 times
Why not live in Henderson? It is way nicer than BHC. BHC schools suck big time. The BHC Little League is real good. There are many places to swim. There is a nice bowling alley at the Riverside, along with several movie theaters.
I bought a condo there for 26,000 usd in 1999. I spent 15 months there. Too much white trash, and few people are educated. You are an RN? You should be able to write your own ticket. The failures of AZ Public Schools have created a huge shortage for nurses.

Old 05-05-2008, 08:30 AM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,019,605 times
RN's are in demand everywhere! If you have kids, stay away from Bullhead City. Yuck.

Old 05-05-2008, 10:33 AM

572 posts, read 2,486,607 times
Bullhead City is like any other Desert town as far as looks. Check out jobs in Northern California the pay for RN is ALOT more for RN and a house costs bout the same but the pay is better. If you do go for Bullhead do rent first to make sure it is for you it gets hot there in the summer Laughlin is very nice though.
You might want to check out Lake Havasu City just about an hour south of Bullhead and same pay im guessing.
Check out this site for Havasu Information
Home (http://www.newtohavasu.net/ - broken link)

Old 05-05-2008, 11:36 AM

9 posts, read 64,095 times
Thumbs up Bullhead City Resident / Realtor

Bullhead city area is growing at a fast rate. As for the schools my nephew is just about to graduate Mohave High Scool 1 year early at the age of 17 and will have an associates degree within his first year of college. He got a full scholarship to Nothern Arizona University. He has taken college courses and attending High Scool at the same time. So the schooling can not be that bad. I believe it is the parents responsibility to make sure their kids are guided correctly to maximize their future.

As for acreage, there are different areas from Bullhead City to the Mohave Valley with half acre and full acre parcels. You can still get property to have horses on in the Moave Valley.

The best thing to do is to spend a week here and really look to see if this area will fit your needs now and in the future.

Old 05-05-2008, 01:19 PM

Steve,

Your writing makes me believe that you attended MHS, as well.

Old 05-05-2008, 01:52 PM

2 posts, read 10,747 times
I just accepted a job offer here in BHC and moved here this week. I was bracing myself for the worst after everything i read about this area so i guess its not as bad as i thought, although i plan on getting some job experience and then moving on from here. there are plenty of places to rent and buy that are very beautiful, i found it easy to rent a place, there were several to choose from and laughlin is also a nice area to look at. good luck, i know its a hard decision.

Old 05-06-2008, 04:11 AM

NAU: Not A University

Old 05-06-2008, 11:07 AM

509 posts, read 1,698,223 times
NAU not a University ?? is that fer ? explain your statement . are you speaking in comparison with Havadah , or Yale? i know that NAU has afairly high opine amongst educators.

Old 05-06-2008, 02:27 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,647,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgermanguy View Post
NAU: Not A University
BLT= Bitter Lonely Troll
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona