Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 02:08 AM

4 posts, read 17,029 times

Advertisements

Wow, so many different scenerios! Well, we are contemplating moving to the Phoenix area. We have 3 boys with autism. 2 severe, and 1 with high functioning. We lived in Missouri and that was like walking into another weird/scary/REALLY MESSED up situation! I definately WOULD NOT advise moving there...YIKES! Lived in NJ...if you make like $120,000.00/yr, then you are fine. If not, hit the road Jack! Everything is expensive! Lived in Maine also, which has Great services and great people that actually enjoy working with the kids! Downside....I have a injury from the military. It is my spine, so being in the cold hurts all the time, literally! So now we are looking to the Phoenix area. Can someone who has positive experiences sound off???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2009, 03:03 AM

2,897 posts, read 10,417,073 times
Boulder Creek is hands down the best public school for Autism. Gompers is also a great school, specifically for children with special needs. I have experience with both personally, and if you need any info, let me know.

Old 08-03-2009, 07:31 AM

1 posts, read 8,458 times
Default help in az

What is the name of this Scottsdale school? Looking for education options for my son who is on the spectrum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santee20 View Post
There's an excellent private school for high-functioning Autism, Asperger's, PDD-NOS in Scottsdale Arizona. If you are a parent that is knowledgeable special education and the law you may be able to get a placement in a private school-paid for by the district! Most often a special education attorney is used to represent to child during due process. These placements are hard to get and take a lot of effort by the parent/parents.

We moved our son to this private school without a district placement because we did not want him to go through the process of getting the placement...which typically means moving the child around within the district to see if a fit can be made. This can be horrific for the child...because the burden of "success" is placed on him/her, ie "He is not trying hard enough", etc. When this option fails...then a private placement might be considered with a knowledgeable staff of educators. However, this is still the exception rather than the rule...as educators do not have enough training (even some teachers with special-ed certfication) in Autism and Austism Spectrum Disorders. There was a new bill passed called HB 2676 or Arizona Revised Statutes: Article 8. Section 15-891. Arizona Scholarships for Pupils with Disabilities which is a special scholarship for students with disabilities and can be used to pay tuition for a private school. Also, the state of Arizona gives a tax credit for private school donations up to $1000 per school year per household.

Also, the buzz is that Saguaro High School in Scottsdale has begun an Asperger's program. It's self-contained but the kids can mainstream when ready to do so. The other thing I have heard in Arizona is that Paradise Valley School District has a wonderful program for classical autism for elementary aged kids. I'm not sure about middle school and high school for PV, as many of the middle school/high school kids at Gateway are from Paradise Valley. Santee

Old 08-10-2009, 12:51 AM

3 posts, read 25,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majinayj View Post
Hello,
My family and i are relocating to az from kalamazoo mi as well and we have a child who has autism and looking for schooling for him as well would like for him to go to a private school, but was told that he would have to go to a public school first for a year before even being considerd if you have any suggestions please let me know we currently are looking on the mesa district.

Awaiting your kind reply,
LaShalle
I have a 5 year old son with autism and I have been very happy with Mesa Public Schools. He will be starting Kindergarten this week at Falcon Hill Elementary. This is one of the few elementary schools in Mesa that has a program specifically for kids with autism. I've met the teacher several times and I've just loved her. She's been very helpful and understanding, and I feel good about sending my son to her everyday. The Special Ed department for Mesa Schools has been great. They've led us each step of the way and made everything run smoothly. There are some great people there. My son attended their pre-school for special needs kids for 2 years and THRIVED! He's not the same kid he was when he started out. He started out non-verbal and non-interactive, yo speaking in sentences and making eye contact.

I hope you will consider Falcon Hill. It's in northeast Mesa. I don't think you have to live in the school boundaries to get your son there. They will pick up and drop off your child every day. I have an older son who goes to Falcon Hill and I've been very happy with the school in general. It's an "excelling" school. This is also a great location. A good family environment, and lots of shopping!

Old 08-10-2009, 01:46 PM

51 posts, read 102,265 times
BUCKEYE SCHOOL there the best my son goes there and the staff and teachers are great

we lived in prescott whick SUCKS at least here they wont send him home and work at his speed

i would look into it my son 8

Old 08-12-2009, 07:54 PM

3 posts, read 17,524 times
Thanks for the Suggestionns will be looking into them ASAP, our move is rapidly approaching and need to find something quick, but also make a good decision, If you have any other suggestions im open to them...

Old 08-14-2009, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majinayj View Post
Thanks for the Suggestionns will be looking into them ASAP, our move is rapidly approaching and need to find something quick, but also make a good decision, If you have any other suggestions im open to them...

I've only had experience with the Mesa Public School District, and like I said, I've been very happy with them. My son has been in school for 3 days this school year so far and really enjoys it

I've heard the Gilbert School District is awesome for kids with autism. My son's in-home speech therapist used to work there and said she thought the program was excellent.

I've also heard that the Litchfield Elementary District (which is on the west side of Phoenix; whereas, Gilbert and Mesa are on the east) has a good program...specifically Litchfield Elementary School and Scott Libby. That is a good school district in general as well. Houses are easier to find there at the moment and you get more bang for your buck there.

Just a few thoughts...wish I could help more! Good luck!

Old 08-15-2009, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj6835 View Post
What is the name of this Scottsdale school? Looking for education options for my son who is on the spectrum.
I'm guessing they were referring to Gateway Academy

I wished we lived closer to it ... I'd consider it for my son who's on the spectrum as well!

Old 08-24-2009, 09:19 AM

1 posts, read 8,418 times
Thumbs down Gilbert School District, Not a good choice

Gilbert in my opinion is one of the worst school districts for special needs. My 13 year old son has PDD-NOS, Bipolar and ADHD. We have been in the school district since he was in kindergarden. I have had to hire an attorney twice in order to try to get my son the education he deserves. He can not read (at all). They have done things to him that are unspeakable. Putting him in time-out rooms for hours at a time. Not letting him out to go to the restroom and ending up urinating in the time-out room and sitting in his own urine. He has very low self asteam and is very depressed over all that has happen to him. I currently have had to hire a lawyer to try to get him educated. He has been out of school since March 09. There are many other parents that have had these bad experiences with their autistic children in the GSD. Several parents have started a group and are going after the district for what they have done to their children. Think twice before putting your special needs child in GSD. I hear Paradise Valley is one of the best districts for special needs.

Old 08-24-2009, 09:48 PM

269 posts, read 1,257,896 times
We moved from Florida with my 6 year old son 3 years ago, he got nothing in Florida in services and was on a 10 year wait list for services.In Arizona he gets speech,occupation,music,physical therapies,he has full medical coverage and he goes to a specialized private school for kids with autism. Arizona has been good to my son unlike Florida which offered virtually no help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona