Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 01:58 PM

225 posts, read 818,248 times

Advertisements

I hate those walls too. Maybe if they were some kind of brick other than cinderblock with some type of pattern to them, but I think the cinderblock, along with a lot of the cheap suburban architecture around the Phoenix area really looks like crap.

Reminds me of the exercise area of a prison. Just add some razor wire on top and each house is a jail or penitentiary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2008, 02:50 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,749,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nearborn View Post
I hate those walls too. Maybe if they were some kind of brick other than cinderblock with some type of pattern to them, but I think the cinderblock, along with a lot of the cheap suburban architecture around the Phoenix area really looks like crap.

Reminds me of the exercise area of a prison. Just add some razor wire on top and each house is a jail or penitentiary.
Whoa there! We paid a whopping $150 more for our "River runs through it" front yard. If I could put a wall around that, I would. Keep the bikes out of it. Cheap suburban architecture my foot.

Old 07-23-2008, 03:07 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twixcookie View Post
What's up with this???
I haven't seen this before, and anywhere I've ever lived, you looked out and saw some land and homes.
That's the West - the land of the lonely wolves!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Well, it seems to me that it's either a solid material like cinderblock - which is relatively cheap, and provides privacy and security - or open chain link style fences - which provides neither privacy nor much security as they are easily climbed - since wood is not abundant in the area and would probably badly warp, dry out, and crack in the heat and dry air.

Seems a logical choice to me.
If you travel around the country you'll see that building materials are different based on what is abundant in the area and what makes the most sense based on the weather conditions there. Here in the PNW we use a lot of wood, the East Coast has more brick - as does the South, where cinderblock is also more common. In Hawaii, the South Pacific islands, and (I would think) the Caribbean also tend to use a lot of cinderblock because is stands up fairly well to the high winds and water of hurricanes/typhoons.

Ken
Chain link fences are sooooo darn ugly! Just thought of another type of fence you can have here - ocotillo fence!

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/230/4...919f79.jpg?v=0

Old 07-23-2008, 03:32 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,334,196 times
Ocotillo fence!!!!!!!!!!!

That would sure keep ME from sneaking in.

OUCH!!!!!

Nice photo!

Ken

Old 07-23-2008, 03:49 PM

799 posts, read 2,169,324 times
Default Brick Oven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nearborn View Post

Ha! That was funny...one could do that Shawshank look...
Put bars on the windows too.
I understand that wood framed homes don't do well here, but the stucco still looks like Flinstone homes. In the midwest and east, stucco is used, but more as an architectural diversion, like stone, wood, brick. Ah yes...I miss seeing brick...real brick. But then a brick home in AZ would be a brick oven.

Old 07-23-2008, 04:18 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Ocotillo fence!!!!!!!!!!!

That would sure keep ME from sneaking in.

OUCH!!!!!

Nice photo!

Ken
I know there are some around town, but I haven't seen them. I have seen a real one down in Mexico, though. Of course, you can only do that if you live in a no-HOA neighborhood... Just yesterday we were talking at work about straw bale fences covered with stucco. It's entirely possible... people build straw bale houses.

Old 07-23-2008, 07:39 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,916,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Just yesterday we were talking at work about straw bale fences covered with stucco. It's entirely possible... people build straw bale houses.
I have thought the same thing. It would be good practice for anyone wanting to build a strawbale house or shed.

Old 07-23-2008, 07:57 PM

999 posts, read 4,528,271 times
Quote:
Whoa there! We paid a whopping $150 more for our "River runs through it" front yard. If I could put a wall around that, I would. Keep the bikes out of it. Cheap suburban architecture my foot.
Sure, that's the landscaping, but what's the siding on your house.....Stucco?? Yucko!!

Is there a reason they don't use brick? I was in a brick building with high ceilings, big windows, no A/C and just a couple fans when it was about 120 degrees and the inside was surprisingly cool....I think the place was built about 120 years ago.

Old 07-24-2008, 10:31 AM

1,240 posts, read 2,239,776 times
Nothing says "curb appeal" like that ocotillo fence.

And a 3 foot wide stuccoed hay bail?! Better check with your HOA first. (Insert sarcasm here) Think they might shoot you down on that one.

Old 07-24-2008, 11:50 AM

799 posts, read 2,169,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by and the View Post
Sure, that's the landscaping, but what's the siding on your house.....Stucco?? Yucko!!

Is there a reason they don't use brick? I was in a brick building with high ceilings, big windows, no A/C and just a couple fans when it was about 120 degrees and the inside was surprisingly cool....I think the place was built about 120 years ago.
Like everything, it is probably cost. Stucco must be cheaper than brick, and probably cheaper to put up.

I like brick too. I don't know everything in the southwest has to be the same. They built colonials in the midwest...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona