Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 01:42 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,925,657 times

Advertisements

ColdCanadian and Irwin. You could work out a deal and switch places...
I'm here in Fort Worth, where it has been cold most of the winter. For the first time since I've lived here, I'm actually looking forward to spring and summer. Yes, even with the blast furnace heat we have here in the summer. I guess I'm getting old and the blood doesn't circulate too well, but I'm tired of my hands and feet getting cold. I once remarked that I wanted to move out of here but I don't think I'd make it up North anymore. The snow would be pretty but I'd have to run around with electric sox and mittens on all of the time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2007, 02:08 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,811,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
ColdCanadian and Irwin. You could work out a deal and switch places...

I'm here in Fort Worth, where it has been cold most of the winter. For the first time since I've lived here, I'm actually looking forward to spring and summer. Yes, even with the blast furnace heat we have here in the summer. I guess I'm getting old and the blood doesn't circulate too well, but I'm tired of my hands and feet getting cold. I once remarked that I wanted to move out of here but I don't think I'd make it up North anymore. The snow would be pretty but I'd have to run around with electric sox and mittens on all of the time!
Too bad immigration can't work that way;
One qualified English speaking American swapping jobs and citizenships with an equally qualified English speaking Canadian involved in the same field of work.

I know part of the reason immigration is there is to protect jobs but I think this could solve that issue as there'd be no net jobs lost, and everyone would be happier.

I've always been able to handle heat somewhat well, but I suppose part of my extra tolerance lately is mental, since sometimes I'm so happy to not be cold that I don't care if I might be close to passing out from heat.

Old 03-06-2007, 02:55 PM

10 posts, read 34,787 times
Maybe the early heat would not be bothering me as much if we had had more rain. It felt dry this winter, even though it was supposed to be wet. Too bad when they say it is going to be an extra hot extra long summer, it can be the opposite, just like when they say well get a lot of rain...

Old 03-06-2007, 07:32 PM

1,477 posts, read 4,406,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Then again, everyone already knows I'm a nut for heat.

Do you plan to move from Arizona? I hope you find some place more comfortable to live.
Trust me. I moved out here from DC and one of the biggest things I was excited about was the heat. I was tired of the snow especially and thought the sun and heat would be great. I have been here for about two years now and I am leaving, going to Boston in May actually.

Not excited about the snow, but I have learned that the summer's here are just as bad (at least to me). Again, if I could find somewhere that fit my perfect choice, I would go for it. Perhaps San Francisco would be a good fit and would give me the city feel I also miss. But, I have a good opportunity in Boston that I can't turn down. Maybe in the eventually I will try to transfer to San Francisco, but I know I won't be back here!

Old 03-06-2007, 07:51 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,087,630 times
Might wanna relocate out of AZ if you cant stand the heat. I hate the south FL heat and cant wait to move north and enjoy the nice cool weather

Old 03-06-2007, 10:18 PM

31 posts, read 201,854 times
Ya know I think there may actually be some real climate change going on? I'm over here in the CA desert and it was "hot" here today too, normally it would be maybe high 60's and windy and our last freeze/frost date isn't until Apr. 15.Something that worries me is the long term drought in the southwest, if you will do a search for Palmer drought index you will see we are in long term serious drought, even for the desert. The monsoons ain't what they used to be either, at least where I am. Our current "heat wave" could be just a normal variation that's only going to last a short time or it could be a sign that summers are really starting earlier and lasting longer? Dunno, I am seriously wondering what's coming down the road for desert communities regards future water supply and power infrastructure with continuing population growth to run all those AC's most of the year. I'm looking at possibly re-locating to AZ next year but as I said in another thread, don't want to jump from the frying pan into the fire with drought and water concerns. From all I have read this summer in the SW is definitely supposed to be hotter than normal, and if normal is well over a hundred anyway and then you add another 10-15 degrees...well we are talking some sizzling weather bordering on the unbearable, like being put in a dehydrator and turning into jerky! Anyone else wondering if there are long term weather changes for AZ and the possible consequences?? Sue-Z

Old 03-07-2007, 04:56 AM

sue-z you bring up some interesting points. I believe we are definitely in a global "heating" phase, whether we've had a hand in it or it's entirely mother nature's doing. I personally think it's a little of both; mostly nature though.

We've been in a drought her in North Texas/Oklahoma for almost three years now. In January, it looked like we might break out of that drought with some very heavy rain for a few days - something we didn't have last winter but since then it's been dry as a bone. Our lakes are about 10 feet below normal, and if we don't get rain this spring (and lots of it) we are in for another bad summer. I can take the heat; the main thing I don't like about the summers here are the complete lack of rain, at least for the last few years. In 2004 we had a spectacular summer with rain off and on throughout June, July, and August - just when it's really needed. The whole summer of 2004 was very mild as well, with temperatures hardly ever climbing out of the mid 90s. The rain we had was the reason for those milder temperatures because when you have dry land, it heats up much quicker in the heat of the day. Since 2004, it's been pretty much as dry as a bone here.

Regarding the different areas of the country and heat; I could never live in South Florida or a place like Houston with the humidity they have there. Even with temps in the low to mid 90s that kind of humidity just saps the energy right out of you. But, they do get rain. I prefer the dry heat of Arizona and Nevada over the more humid areas. DFW is kind of in the middle; we do have humidity, but nothing like areas such as Florida or Southeast Texas, Louisiana, etc..

Old 03-07-2007, 06:18 AM

11 posts, read 71,590 times
Default Heat

I just spent six hours trying to scrape ice off my driveway yesterday (Wisconsin). Heat sounds mighty good to me.

Old 03-07-2007, 09:29 AM

29 posts, read 102,733 times
well as you are all getting hotter we are all getting colder here in the UK. I remember not so many years back we would have a reasonable summer with lots of blue skies and hot days, and then winter was full of snow and very cold but again blue skies and crisp, in the past few years we seem to have gone to this state of being continually overcast. I think i wore shorts all of 3 days last summer, the rest of the time it was cold and wet. This winter has been milder than most with only a small amount of snow, but again has been continually overcast and wet. Not pleasant but i think the world is in some sort of major climatic change at the moment

Old 03-07-2007, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzanne7575 View Post
well as you are all getting hotter we are all getting colder here in the UK. I remember not so many years back we would have a reasonable summer with lots of blue skies and hot days, and then winter was full of snow and very cold but again blue skies and crisp, in the past few years we seem to have gone to this state of being continually overcast. I think i wore shorts all of 3 days last summer, the rest of the time it was cold and wet. This winter has been milder than most with only a small amount of snow, but again has been continually overcast and wet. Not pleasant but i think the world is in some sort of major climatic change at the moment
THAT, I would have a major problem with (only 3 days being able to wear shorts all summer). I've found as I've gotten older (and I'm only 45), that I have more and more of a tendency to dislike cold and not be bothered by heat. I suppose that's why all of the older folks move to FL and AZ when they retire. I would be very depressed if it was overcast all winter long and then only a few days in the summer with true warmth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
View detailed profiles of: