Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2007, 05:49 AM

1 posts, read 3,008 times

Advertisements

Leaving michigan for employment. Looking for a small town to live in. Found a small town called top of the world,arizona. Like to know more about it. If wal-mart is an hour away that is fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2007, 06:46 AM

Location: 5 miles from the center of the universe-The Superstition Mountains
1,084 posts, read 5,790,420 times
WalMart is less than an hour away in Globe. It's a small community (you knew that) that is predominantly trailers/mobile homes. The trees hide some of them pretty well though. A few days in the winter will make you feel like you're back in MI; It does snow some, but it doesn't stick for too long. There is zero industry: no gas stations, restaurants, stop and robs, nothing. The proverbial "wide spot in the road". Elevation, 4600 feet.

If you have to drive into the valley for work, you're looking at 45 minutes to get to east Mesa, more if you get stuck behind an end dump headed down the hill. It's a little over 60 miles to the far east border of Phoenix (roughly US60 and I-10).There isn't much in Superior to the west, but Globe has pretty much everything, including a small hospital. Both are copper mining towns. If you can find work in Globe or Superior, it might not be a bad move.

Old 04-25-2007, 06:57 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
Everytime I go through there I think, "this would be a neat place to live". But then all the ugly reality that aj661 tells so well hits. Good luck in your decision.

Old 04-25-2007, 08:21 AM

Location: 5 miles from the center of the universe-The Superstition Mountains
1,084 posts, read 5,790,420 times
It is a beautiful area though! One of the best 'middle of nowhere yet not too far away' places in the state. The worst thing about the commute doesn't happen often, but when it does, your day is shot...If there's a bad wreck, or a wild fire on US60 east of Florence Junction, the highway can be shut down for hours. There are very few options for getting anywhere from there. The highway has been shut down at least four times since 2001 due to snow and ice. This is Top of the World on 1/27/01:
leaving michigan-p1270205a.jpg
(No, it's not open)

This the road between Top of the World and Superior on 2/8/01:
leaving michigan-p2080022a.jpg Personally, I think it's cosmic payback. It's all the fault of Algore, the inventor of the internet, talking about global warming.

Old 05-03-2007, 11:35 AM

6 posts, read 34,463 times
Have you been to Arizona before? I grew up in Michigan and then moved to AZ then on to CA and I am back in AZ. We were thinking of going back to Michigan, but snow in October changed our minds. I love AZ and the heat as long as I have AC in the summer.

Old 05-03-2007, 12:09 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,958,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestgirl View Post
Have you been to Arizona before? I grew up in Michigan and then moved to AZ then on to CA and I am back in AZ. We were thinking of going back to Michigan, but snow in October changed our minds. I love AZ and the heat as long as I have AC in the summer.

That's a lot of back and forth. That would be a full circle of you moved back to Michigan. Why were you thinking about moving from AZ? Two different worlds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona