Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 05:16 AM

3 posts, read 8,330 times

Advertisements

we moved here to sonoita az almost 7 months ago. It is beautiful but so lonely. I can not figure out this town and I am having difficulty adjusting to all this driving. Have to drive 53 miles one way to work or to go to a grocery store. Daughter is very bored. does'nt seem to be much for kids.

have not been able to befriend anyone here most people here seem to want to be left alone. About ready to move back am I crazy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2009, 05:25 AM

4,231 posts, read 15,428,811 times
Surely you knew it was a small town w/ not much access to stores etc - ? - personally I wouldnt like all that driving either, if it doesnt work out maybe moving closer to your job would help. No idea how old your daughter is but most schools have extra curricular activities, sports etc. You can also go to meetup.com, put in your interests/hobbies and zip and it'll bring up various activities you like, some have dog groups, dining out groups, newcomers groups, sports etc - I would put down the furthest radius you can drive (I think it's 100 mi) but then take the closest groups. Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmic cowgirl View Post
we moved here to sonoita az almost 7 months ago. It is beautiful but so lonely. I can not figure out this town and I am having difficulty adjusting to all this driving. Have to drive 53 miles one way to work or to go to a grocery store. Daughter is very bored. does'nt seem to be much for kids.

have not been able to befriend anyone here most people here seem to want to be left alone. About ready to move back am I crazy?

Old 09-11-2009, 05:33 AM

2,897 posts, read 10,421,424 times
Did you move there expecting more? If I was you, I would just move or find a new job.

Have you tried going to bars/lounges to meet people?

Old 09-11-2009, 05:35 AM

3 posts, read 8,330 times
thanks for the input your right I did know it was a small town and I thought I really would'nt mind it but it is bothering me. All this driving is killing me do most people in AZ drive like this?

Old 09-11-2009, 05:47 AM

2,897 posts, read 10,421,424 times
Quote:
thanks for the input your right I did know it was a small town and I thought I really would'nt mind it but it is bothering me. All this driving is killing me do most people in AZ drive like this?
I am not really familiar with that particular town, but most small towns are like that, if you don't work right in town expect a long commute.

I know people that commuet from Phoenix to Casa Grande every day, some poeple even commute all the way down to Tucson.

Personally, I always look where I am going to work before I move. Are you stuck in a lease? Maybe you can move closer to work?

I assume you work in Sierra Vista or around there?

Old 09-11-2009, 07:02 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,148,401 times
Quote:

As the other posters stated; if possible, keep auditioning other communities.

And; when in doubt, follow your gut about a place

Old 09-11-2009, 08:40 AM

39,081 posts, read 51,259,863 times
Quote:
Most people in Arizona live in congested cities like Tucson and Phoenix and drive far fewer miles, but maybe as long, to go to work (but not for groceries). Cities have more for kids and grownups at the cost of being - cities. I envy your lifestyle, but I guess the grass is always greener as they say. Maybe it sounds better than it is. Sonoita is one of those places that is probably better for retirees than someone who has kids and has to work. Sierra Vista, near you, would be a little more lively with a small town feel, still, and then Tucson would offer a more action oriented life for your daughter and more opportunities to meet people for you.

Old 09-11-2009, 09:12 AM

2,916 posts, read 8,353,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Most people in Arizona live in congested cities like Tucson and Phoenix and drive far fewer miles, but maybe as long, to go to work (but not for groceries). Cities have more for kids and grownups at the cost of being - cities. I envy your lifestyle, but I guess the grass is always greener as they say. Maybe it sounds better than it is. Sonoita is one of those places that is probably better for retirees than someone who has kids and has to work. Sierra Vista, near you, would be a little more lively with a small town feel, still, and then Tucson would offer a more action oriented life for your daughter and more opportunities to meet people for you.
Very true. Come and check us out here in Tucson. We love cowgirls, to be sure! Cosmics are everywhere as well, but more into Sedona up north of us...

Old 09-11-2009, 01:02 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,021,449 times
Quote:
53 miles to drive to the store! NO, most people in AZ do not drive like that. I walk or take the light rail as do thousands that live near the line. But I think most people in Arizona have stores in their communities. I've heard of your town but don't know where it is. Maybe you can look into a bigger town. I would NOT be happy either if I was in your situation I hope you find a solution.

Old 09-11-2009, 01:10 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,435,088 times
It isn't that you don't like Arizona, it's that you don't like living in a small town without much in the way of kids' activities and no grocery stores of any size within 50 miles. There are places like that everywhere.

If you knew what it was like beforehand, I'm not sure why you made the move. It would seem that you need to move to, perhaps, where the grocery store is, or some other larger place that fits your needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona