Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 04:07 PM

12 posts, read 109,589 times

Advertisements

I visited Phoenix for my first time about a month ago and loved it. I was wondering what the locals felt about the summer heat. I lived in Minnesota when I was a little kid and felt that I could handle the freezing temperatures way better than I could after I left. Does the same concept apply to the desert heat? Do the 100 degree days in spring condition you for the 115 degree days in summer? It seems that after spending every day in such hot weather you would eventually become used to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2007, 08:20 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,530,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdub09 View Post
I visited Phoenix for my first time about a month ago and loved it. I was wondering what the locals felt about the summer heat. I lived in Minnesota when I was a little kid and felt that I could handle the freezing temperatures way better than I could after I left. Does the same concept apply to the desert heat? Do the 100 degree days in spring condition you for the 115 degree days in summer? It seems that after spending every day in such hot weather you would eventually become used to it.
You do get used to it, but it's more bearable if you live near the water area, or a swimming pool, and have your own pool. But you do get used to it after being here for a while. I've lived in Arizona for almost 7 years now and I do like the summers here. I just don't like the cold here. It snows!!! Back home we never got snow. So, that I'm not too fond of.

Old 06-09-2007, 08:34 PM

575 posts, read 1,777,913 times
OK I have to respectfully disagree with Leana, sorry

Of course I don't live in a part of AZ where it EVER snows... so maybe we're talking different temp. ranges here.

Anything over about 110 (and we have far too many days that fall into that catagory) is just plain miserable in my opinion and I don't know that I will ever get used to them. Now if you had asked do you learn to deal with them... I guess that would be a yes. Not much else you can do.

But I for one hate summers here.

Old 06-09-2007, 08:58 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,530,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axiom View Post
OK I have to respectfully disagree with Leana, sorry

Of course I don't live in a part of AZ where it EVER snows... so maybe we're talking different temp. ranges here.

Anything over about 110 (and we have far too many days that fall into that catagory) is just plain miserable in my opinion and I don't know that I will ever get used to them. Now if you had asked do you learn to deal with them... I guess that would be a yes. Not much else you can do.

But I for one hate summers here.
What part of Az. are you at?? I live in Prescott and it DOES snow here...

Old 06-09-2007, 11:04 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,304,518 times
I think after about a week of being here in the summer heat, you should be able to adjust to the temperatures. 100 degrees here, even 105 is no big deal at all. Beyond 105 is when it starts getting ridiculous, IMO. I've personally never experienced more than 112 degrees here, since I've only been here a few years and strategically planned trips back to Colorado during July and August (except for this year-- now I'm here for the full show). The key is staying indoors when the sun is at its peak intensity in the middle of the day. The heat in the shade or at night you can get used to, but when it comes to those UV rays, everybody is at risk for skin cancer, whether you're just visiting town or you've lived here your whole life.

If you look at cultures around the world that live in ultra-sunny, desert climates (the Mediterranean, the Middle East, North Africa, much of Latin America), you'll notice a couple of common similarities in how humans adapt: such as taking a siesta. The way most people dress here, especially on the ASU campus where college students are outside all day, is 100% backwards. Wearing ultra skimpy clothing and flip flops, exposing your skin to the sun is a great way to get burned and get skin cancer. Instead, we should be imitating the Bedouin tribes who wear white robes covering their entire body. BTW, it may (or may not) sound corny, but I'd suggest wearing a cowboy hat here-- it does a much better job of protecting your head, neck, and face than your typical baseball cap.

Old 06-10-2007, 09:24 AM

3,632 posts, read 16,163,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leana76 View Post
What part of Az. are you at?? I live in Prescott and it DOES snow here...
What are your highs in the summer? From what I know, the highs in Prescott are a bit lower than Phx. The OP was asking about the high temps of Phx, which is different than Prescott. I love the weather of Prescott.

Old 06-10-2007, 09:26 AM

3,632 posts, read 16,163,121 times
The heat gets dragging on forever until it lets up. It's just plain HOT. But if you stay where it's air conditioned all day then it's not as bad. I'm an phx native and still do not look forward to our summers. But the rest of the year is gorgeous!

Old 06-10-2007, 12:33 PM

331 posts, read 956,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sablebaby View Post
What are your highs in the summer? From what I know, the highs in Prescott are a bit lower than Phx. The OP was asking about the high temps of Phx, which is different than Prescott. I love the weather of Prescott.
They are much, much lower. I lived in Prescott Valley for about 1.5 yrs and worked in Prescott. The average high during the hottest month is only 90, whereas it is 104 in Phoenix. It can get into the mid or high 90's, but that is about it. It does feel hot though because you get acclimated to the cold for 6 months. In Prescott, you cannot go outside for 6 months of the year without a jacket or sweatshirt because it is too cold. Plus, it is windy a lot, so it feels much colder. In December and January, it can easily reach the teens as the overnight low (not accounting for the wind chill). I think it was too cold there for me... I don't really like waking up and having to warm up the car to get the ice of my windshield. I would never make it back east! We'll see how I do once we get to 110 here...

Old 06-10-2007, 01:25 PM

27,337 posts, read 27,390,428 times
Well, 110 is about average in the summertime here in Casa Grande, give or take a couple. Heck, to see a 90 degree day in the summer is a gift!
Though its been said, and Ive actually seen it, supposedly Casa Grande is usually about 3-5 degrees hotter than Phoenix, so whatever the temps are out there, you can count on it being a little more here.
When I was back in WI a few years ago, lol, I remember there were some people at the park where we were having lunch, and one lady was talking how 'we're in the middle of a heat wave here, its 81 degrees today!' She was all sweating and very uncomfortable.
I had to turn around and tell her that out in Az, we'd be thankful for an 80 degree day in the summer time, lol.

Old 06-10-2007, 01:42 PM

2,203 posts, read 9,320,090 times
Default It's all relative

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikorock28 View Post
They are much, much lower. I lived in Prescott Valley for about 1.5 yrs and worked in Prescott. The average high during the hottest month is only 90, whereas it is 104 in Phoenix. It can get into the mid or high 90's, but that is about it. It does feel hot though because you get acclimated to the cold for 6 months. In Prescott, you cannot go outside for 6 months of the year without a jacket or sweatshirt because it is too cold. Plus, it is windy a lot, so it feels much colder. In December and January, it can easily reach the teens as the overnight low (not accounting for the wind chill). I think it was too cold there for me... I don't really like waking up and having to warm up the car to get the ice of my windshield. I would never make it back east! We'll see how I do once we get to 110 here...
I do think the heat is relative to where you grew up and what you're used to. We moved from the midwest and I always hated those bitterly cold winters with the blustery winds. Yet we'd still have at least a week or two of 100+ in the summers - just alot of extreme temps in the midwest. So winters in Prescott are what I consider very mild. Usually 20's at night and 50's during the day - I can't complain. A light jacket or sweatshirt seems wonderful compared to heavy parkas and mittens and snow boots, and still freezing in the midwest.

We tried a summer in the Valley before moving to Prescott. It is much like winter in the midwest from the standpoint of just staying indoors for about 5 months. But the winters are great in Phoenix. Summers in Prescott are typically about 15 degrees cooler than Phoenix. So when Phoenix is at 110, we're usually mid-90's, which for me is much more tolerable. Plus we always cool down into the 60's at night up here, so we get to open our windows let in that nice pine-scented air.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona