Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2010, 08:39 PM

1 posts, read 2,499 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone!

Just a little background on myself. I currently live in Syracuse, NY and I have always wanted to move someplace warmer, without humidity (east coast is out), professional sports teams (is not a must but would great), and a major city market. I am 39 single & no children (I know pathetic right?) You see I work for an Acura dealership, and I would be transferring to an Acura dealerships out west. Now I know all about the heat, and honestly I will take 115 degrees over 25 below any day. And I know the automotive market is not what it used to be out there, but I gotta think it's better there than Syracuse no??? Also, I would not be able to buy a home right away! So I whichever area you recommend, how much for a one bedroom apt with a pool preferably in a decent area. Also I'm at the gym 4- 5 days a week, so a good gym is important too! So which is it??? Phoenix, Tempe, Sedona, Tuscon, Glendale, Mesa, etc???? I plan on coming out there for vacation in the next 3-6 months to check it out. I really want to know what people who live there think would be the best for me! Thanx so much for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2010, 09:29 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,443,128 times
No professional sports in Tucson, it's not a major market for anything. Sedona is beautiful, but not many car dealers up in that area. As far as the Valley, there's lots of nice areas you'd like. I'm partial to Tempe, but there's some great areas in Phoenix as well, as well as far north Glendale and Peoria. (lots of sports out that way, too-- spring training as well as the Cardinals and Coyotes) Mesa? Not so much.

When you come out and take a look, you can get a feel for all sorts of different areas.

Old 04-19-2010, 02:50 AM

227 posts, read 536,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillH3 View Post
Hi Everyone!

Just a little background on myself. I currently live in Syracuse, NY and I have always wanted to move someplace warmer, without humidity (east coast is out), professional sports teams (is not a must but would great), and a major city market. I am 39 single & no children (I know pathetic right?) You see I work for an Acura dealership, and I would be transferring to an Acura dealerships out west. Now I know all about the heat, and honestly I will take 115 degrees over 25 below any day. And I know the automotive market is not what it used to be out there, but I gotta think it's better there than Syracuse no??? Also, I would not be able to buy a home right away! So I whichever area you recommend, how much for a one bedroom apt with a pool preferably in a decent area. Also I'm at the gym 4- 5 days a week, so a good gym is important too! So which is it??? Phoenix, Tempe, Sedona, Tuscon, Glendale, Mesa, etc???? I plan on coming out there for vacation in the next 3-6 months to check it out. I really want to know what people who live there think would be the best for me! Thanx so much for your help!
You just gotta come out and get a feel for the place that will suit you. Definitely should go for a larger city area if it's automotive you have a background with. I'd choose Tucson over the multi-city areas to the north that have basically all grown together. Phoenix central reminds me of a hotter smoggier L.A. in summer with all it's traffic snarls. I've been out of state working and not been around my neck of the woods near S.V. So you are correct about work and economy problems.

Old 04-20-2010, 09:13 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,896,494 times
Forget the fringed jacket, turquoise jewelry trap of Sedona.
If you're a city guy; Scottsdale or Tempe. Pretty sure there's some dealerships in Scottsdale, I know there's Honda dealers in both cities, if that's transferable. Scottsdale/Tempe will have nightlife, restaurants, things to do. The Apartments in Scottsdale are a good bet for a good gym, pool, and less crime. Apartment complexes in the West are comparable to bad neighborhoods back East, so sometimes looks can be deceiving. Scottsdales pretty tame, upper middle class. Tempe can be fun, college town type setting. South of Downtown Tempe can be pretty sleazy.
Forget the West side. It's flat and lifeless. No pretty mountain views and generic suburbs stretching on forever.
Tucson is well worth checking out. It has the college town thing, it's big enough for steady car sales(I would guess), but nature is very accessible. You can be out in beautiful country in a 15-20 min. drive. I'm trying to transfer to Tucson myself(I live in Tempe, hail from Phoenix).
A NY guy can fit in here just fine, there's already a lot of you here. My dad grew up in Nassau county Long Island and came out here forty years ago and never went back. He lives in North Phoenix( another good side of town) and loves it. Good luck.

Old 04-21-2010, 07:15 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,153,467 times
Car scene? Definitely the Phx area------------Tucson is teeny by comparison. Note I have lived/worked in both places and the wages for a technician in the latter metro are comparable to Kingman, etc. The difference being that Kingman is a true small town with cheaper housing, cleaner air and much less congestion overall.

Old 04-21-2010, 09:48 AM

4,410 posts, read 6,141,749 times
You sound like the kind of person that would fit in well in Tempe. There's an Acura dealership there right off I-10. There's two other dealerships, both on Bell Road on the north side (about 15 miles apart), but I think Tempe would be a better fit for a single person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona