Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 08:21 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,950,438 times

Advertisements

New Census data out for Arkansas and there are some interesting statistics. Benton fastest growing county. Springdale population increase about 45%...that is huge. Little Rock not growing as much as some other areas. NW Arkansas is the big mover. No surprise there.

Census 2010 News | U.S. Census Bureau Delivers Arkansas' 2010 Census Population Totals, Including First Look at Race and Hispanic Origin Data for Legislative Redistricting

Actually checked and got some of the numbers wrong. You can you check to get the right numbers.

Old 02-11-2011, 08:31 AM

Here is a map.

http://2010.census.gov/news/pdf/cb11...ge_2010map.pdf

Old 02-11-2011, 09:33 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
KY 3 has a list of cities/towns and the census results.

Census data: Benton Co. passes Washington Co. as Arkansas' 2nd most populated county - ky3.com (http://www.ky3.com/news/ky3-story-arkansas-census-data-cities-20110210,0,3468877.story - broken link)

Old 02-11-2011, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
KY 3 has a list of cities/towns and the census results.

Census data: Benton Co. passes Washington Co. as Arkansas' 2nd most populated county - ky3.com (http://www.ky3.com/news/ky3-story-arkansas-census-data-cities-20110210,0,3468877.story - broken link)
That is a better cite. I think Fayetteville is going to surpass Fort Smith pretty soon.

I was disappointed to Little Rock not growing as much as some other areas, but the counties surrounding Little Rock growing a lot more. That just suggests more sprawl with people commuting back and forth from Little Rock to the surrounding counties.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:46 AM

837 posts, read 2,249,584 times
yep. and white flight. whites are now the minority in Little Rock.

I really hate people sometimes.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:51 AM

1,466 posts, read 4,360,632 times
I am surprised that Bentonville is the same size as Hot Springs. I thought Bentonville had a lot more people... I guess it is because their school is a higher sports classification. They have one high school whereas Hot Springs has three.

Old 02-11-2011, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchman01 View Post
You hate whites???
I think you completely miss what she is saying. People are moving out to the suberbs which is completely their choice, but it is mainly white people wanting to get away from black people...I think that is the implication.

Little Rock is not very much different than other cities. A lot of other cities have reversed the trend and more people are moving back to the city "gentrification." A lot has to do with traffic, but one of Little Rock's best strengths is the interstate system; however, it is also contributes to the sprawl.

Old 02-11-2011, 11:35 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,170,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
I think you completely miss what she is saying. People are moving out to the suberbs which is completely their choice, but it is mainly white people wanting to get away from black people...I think that is the implication.

Little Rock is not very much different than other cities. A lot of other cities have reversed the trend and more people are moving back to the city "gentrification." A lot has to do with traffic, but one of Little Rock's best strengths is the interstate system; however, it is also contributes to the sprawl.
I don't think so. She implied she hated whites for moving out of little rock. White flight isn't new, especially when federal judges start social engineering projects using children as the prime ingredient.

Old 02-11-2011, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchman01 View Post
I don't think so. She implied she hated whites for moving out of little rock. White flight isn't new, especially when federal judges start social engineering projects using children as the prime ingredient.
I think Jenni-B is more than able to defend herself so I will just tell you my opinion. I don't hate anyone, but it does bother me that some people...mostly white people, move out of areas just because there are black people that live there. I would like to see a thriving Little Rock Downtown, but that is going to be difficult if people are moving out to the suburbs, and there is very little that the city can do about it if their primary reason is that there are black people who live in the city.

This all contributes to sprawl and traffic which I hate. As far as social engineering projects by federal judges involving children, that has not happened in Arkansas for some time...well before 2000, so I don't think your theory holds much water. I do understand that a parent wants to put their children in the best school possible, but there are some very good schools in Little Rock.

Old 02-11-2011, 12:08 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,170,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
I think Jenni-B is more than able to defend herself so I will just tell you my opinion. I don't hate anyone, but it does bother me that some people...mostly white people, move out of areas just because there are black people that live there. I would like to see a thriving Little Rock Downtown, but that is going to be difficult if people are moving out to the suburbs, and there is very little that the city can do about it if their primary reason is that there are black people who live in the city.
That's not why people leave a city like little rock. People leave a city like little rock because of crime, taxes, the responsivness of their city governments, yes and the quality of schools, ect..... If whites are leaving, and they are, I suggest the city become more responsive to the needs of all it's people.

Quote:
This all contributes to sprawl and traffic which I hate. As far as social engineering projects by federal judges involving children, that has not happened in Arkansas for some time...well before 2000, so I don't think your theory holds much water. I do understand that a parent wants to put their children in the best school possible, but there are some very good schools in Little Rock.
.....and yet that's exactly what happened in little rock. As for the schools, yes there should be some good ones the federal judges have spent millions on that school system to the detriment of much of the rest of the state. I'm tired of the federal meddling in arkansas matters. They cannot win, they can only make things worse, which is just what they've done. This is about the pulaski county school district but they could be talking about the little rock school district as well.

this article is from the progressive arkansas website. Just what can I do to get a proper link with this board?

http://www.progressivearkansas.com/c...gregation-case

Quote:
Every school district in Arkansas has a financial interest in the ongoing Pulaski County desegregation case, which has been litigated in federal court for decades and for which there is no apparent end.

A new wrinkle in the case came to the surface last week, when a legislative audit of the Pulaski County Special School District revealed that last year the district failed to spend more than $4 million in desegregation funding provided by the state.

The state paid $20.5 million last year to the Pulaski County district, under federal court orders, but the district spent only $16.2 million of the amount on desegregation efforts. The same legislative audit uncovered numerous findings of unwise spending and questionable practices, prompting one senator to call it the worst mess he had ever seen.

School districts in Arkansas receive the majority of their funding from the state, but the three districts in Pulaski County receive additional amounts under a settlement of the desegregation case approved in 1989.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas