Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 05:10 AM

1 posts, read 2,834 times

Advertisements

I hope someone can help me with this....my best friends grandmother use to have an upscale toy store in magnolia..she often speaks of the store and her grandmother but I have never noticed a photo of the store in her home. Does anyone know if this building is still standing and if so how i could get a photo? thank you
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Pulaski Player View Post
Well atleast Southern Arkansas University is located in Magnolia, so you may want to check into job opportunities there. It is south Arkansas, so don't get your hopes up.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2007, 11:09 AM

12 posts, read 43,448 times
Hi Herman & Michelle,

I just found this site this morning and I'm a new poster here, so hopefully I won't say anything to step on anyone's toes...if so, it's not my intentions. My husband and I relocated to South AR from East TX almost 5 years ago. The people are down-home friendly in this area and very helpful... we've really enjoyed that.

Stamps is a little "hole in the road" town on Hwy 82. I think a poster pointed out that Magnolia was about 16 miles from Stamps, and you might also want to consider Texarkana as well, which is about 35 miles away according to Mapquest. It's a much larger city (1/2 is in TX, 1/2 in AR)...and will probably have more job opportunities for you.

Best wishes in the move, job search and coming New Year and Welcome to Arkansas!

Old 12-28-2007, 05:00 PM

18 posts, read 84,825 times
Default look down town on the square

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydunaway View Post
I hope someone can help me with this....my best friends grandmother use to have an upscale toy store in magnolia..she often speaks of the store and her grandmother but I have never noticed a photo of the store in her home. Does anyone know if this building is still standing and if so how i could get a photo? thank you

Try down town on the square

Old 01-02-2008, 10:01 PM

3 posts, read 7,826 times
Default To JayDunaway

Did you ever find the toy store in question? My grandmother owned "The Little Store" on N. Washington Street. I don't know if I'd call it upscale, but she sold her toys for expensive prices! Plus, she was the only Madame Alexander doll seller in town. Does that help?

Old 01-04-2008, 03:26 PM

41 posts, read 153,703 times
Default Magnolia Toy store info

The house on North Washington Street that was once the toy store is still there. It has not been a toy store for quite some time.
Would offer to get more info but looks like the grandaughter of the former owner in this thread. She should know all you want to know.

Old 01-04-2008, 05:12 PM

3 posts, read 7,826 times
Default Toy Store

Sure....just let me know. I'll help in any way I can.

Old 02-01-2008, 03:50 PM

6 posts, read 55,579 times
Hey, I see a few other people living in Magnolia are on here too. Amazing. And here I thought you'd all be in church.

Hmmm... you know what? I'm bored (relatively speaking).

Wanna play?

I just thought I might ask.

I just got a pool table set up and need a few laughs.

I'll stomp your butt.

Come on, wanna play?

Old 02-07-2008, 12:51 AM

1 posts, read 2,746 times
both areas are small but magnolia is bigger than stamps but dont expect anything great out of either area i was born and raised in the area

Old 02-08-2008, 03:26 AM

33 posts, read 134,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieMay23 View Post
Trapped in El Dorado:
How would you know what the job market is like north of El Dorado?
You should know that there are several big chemical plants and refineries in El Dorado and the surrounding areas that are employing many many people....and paying many of them well!!
It also seems that South Arkansas is in need of contractors and developers. The housing market is rough: there are very few new homes on the market, and the older ones coming into the market are overpriced. The formation of the "El Dorado Promise" at the beginning of this year has attracted many people to the area, but it has also raised the property value. The people in El Dorado want to sell their homes for much more money than they would sell for in more developed and modern cities or towns. The few builders that are available in town have plenty of work ahead of them. They could probably use a little competition.
The economy in north Arkansas is not really growing. There are no companies that are bringing money to the state by producing something that sells. All except for chicken companies, like Tyson. Of course there is always Wal-Mart or distributing or food service. Other than that, you can be a middle-man like a real estate agent, salesman (insurance, car), an educator, a health care worker of some sort, or a laborer. There are still many job opportunities all over. People are just a little too picky, and want to live beyond their means.
Oh, and Trapped: consider the military. You couldn't say that you are "trapped in El Dorado" after joining the military. There are many job opportunities for former military servicemen all over the country, including all of Arkansas, even the southern part (Pine Bluff Arsenal, for example!).
How would I know? Because I've lived here for awhile. And I'm trapped. Hence the user name.

Going into the military is a last resort if there are no jobs around. So I guess you are agreeing with me. Everyone knows that. Duh.

What I was trying to get across, is that it's hard to get any job around El Dorado. Even if you have a degree and experience. Anyone with the least bit of intelligence can find that out for themselves by reading the local classifieds and looking at online sites like Monster and CareerBuilder.

Old 02-10-2008, 01:57 PM

264 posts, read 1,151,187 times
El Dorado is not a nice place- ill leave it at that, but regards to the original stamps or magnolia question i would choose magnolia. The college keeps it going and is a nice southern town with a little more than stamps. However Southern Arkansas isnt doing so well economically...Magnolia is doing pretty well compared with other areas in S. AR.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas