Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2006, 09:18 PM

213 posts, read 765,374 times

Advertisements

Anyone familiar with the Van Buren area, please fill me in. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2006, 08:03 AM

113 posts, read 570,882 times
Umm.... what do you want to know? Van Buren and Fort Smith are basically the same town. It's just like any other larger town in Arkansas. Basically anything you want, you will find there. Maybe if you ask some specific questions I may be able to help you out.

Old 10-11-2006, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woopig_sooie View Post
Umm.... what do you want to know? Van Buren and Fort Smith are basically the same town. It's just like any other larger town in Arkansas. Basically anything you want, you will find there. Maybe if you ask some specific questions I may be able to help you out.
Actually we are looking at a small farm in the Natural Dam, Ark. area about 15 miles north of Van Buren. I figured maybe the attitudes of the residents may be about the same, but maybe more clannish in small community like Natural Dam. I have 2 mixed race kids, 4 & 10, and would hope they would be received OK by residents. Is it still hilly in the Natural Dam area. We lived in Mtn. Home, Ark. for 12 years 1982-1994 before going to Alaska and now West Virginia. Would like for my son to eventually attend either the U of A in Fayetteville or go to the branch in Fort Smith for 2 years and then transfer to Fayetteville. Do you know much about the branch in Ft. Smith? Any info is appreciated.

Old 10-11-2006, 12:24 PM

I dated a girl from Cederville which is really close to Natural Dam, so I know the area you're talking about. Yes it is still hilly there, but it drops off fast as you go towards Fort Smith which is in the Arkansas River Valley. I don't know how you're kids will be accepted. If they go to a small high school like Cederville HS, they may get some hard times, not necessarily for being mixed race but just for being new. I would think that they would be perfectly ok in a larger school district like Van Buren.

UAFS is a very good little school. They've received lots of praise in the state for academics and for a a pretty good basketball team. The UA Main Campus is of course the largest university in the State and is continually ranked among the nations top universities for academics expecially engeneering and agricultural sciences. And most importantly its the home of the RAZORBACKS!!!

Old 10-11-2006, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woopig_sooie View Post
I dated a girl from Cederville which is really close to Natural Dam, so I know the area you're talking about. Yes it is still hilly there, but it drops off fast as you go towards Fort Smith which is in the Arkansas River Valley. I don't know how you're kids will be accepted. If they go to a small high school like Cederville HS, they may get some hard times, not necessarily for being mixed race but just for being new. I would think that they would be perfectly ok in a larger school district like Van Buren.

UAFS is a very good little school. They've received lots of praise in the state for academics and for a a pretty good basketball team. The UA Main Campus is of course the largest university in the State and is continually ranked among the nations top universities for academics expecially engeneering and agricultural sciences. And most importantly its the home of the RAZORBACKS!!!
Thanks for the info. By the way, wasn't it great to see the hogs beat Auburn last week!!!! I was a hogs fan before moving to Ark. back in 1982 and still am and enjoy seeing them on TV when they are on.

Old 10-11-2006, 02:16 PM

Yeah, that was a great game and it finally got us a little bit of national respect. Can't wait till Nov. 11th, we have Tennessee at Fayetteville. Should be on ESPN!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas