Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 07:48 AM

5 posts, read 66,581 times

Advertisements

We are looking at relocating from Michigan (originally from Missouri, then California, then Michigan) to Jonesboro, AR. I had a few questions...

I have read about it being in a dry county. Does that mean you cannot buy a bottle of wine anywhere in the county? Where is the closest county that you can buy wine/beer at? Are there any towns/subdivisions within commuting distance that aren't in a dry county?

Also, if anyone lives there/has lived there...what do you think of the Sage Meadows development? We'd like a subdivision with a community swimming pool and that seems to be the only one...unless there are some in smaller, nearby towns?

Thanks for the info!

BDT
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2007, 08:03 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,742,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betseydt77 View Post
We are looking at relocating from Michigan (originally from Missouri, then California, then Michigan) to Jonesboro, AR. I had a few questions...

I have read about it being in a dry county. Does that mean you cannot buy a bottle of wine anywhere in the county? Where is the closest county that you can buy wine/beer at? Are there any towns/subdivisions within commuting distance that aren't in a dry county?

Also, if anyone lives there/has lived there...what do you think of the Sage Meadows development? We'd like a subdivision with a community swimming pool and that seems to be the only one...unless there are some in smaller, nearby towns?

Thanks for the info!

BDT
I am in Jonesboro now..No..you cannot buy a bottle of wine anywhere in the county, but the county line is only 15-20 minutes and theres a liqour store there..(Greene County/Craighead) also there are some towards Harrisburg in Poinsett County. Several resturants have recently aquired liquor permits now, and can serve alcohol with meals.

Sage Meadows seems to be very nice. Idk of any others in nearby towns.Sage Meadows

Old 11-16-2007, 08:10 AM

Default restaurants

Thanks. Do you know what the restaurants are that have the permits? Also, are there good restaurants in the wet counties that are within driving distance?

Old 11-16-2007, 08:11 AM

102 posts, read 526,602 times
Jonesboro is in a dry county but it has had an increased number of clubs/restaurants granted a liquor license in recent years. There are no liquor stores.

As for Sage Meadows, it is a nice area. I would investigate who built the house and check their reputation with your realtor since they are newer construction. Can't think of another subdivision with a community pool. Do you get pool access at Sage Meadows just by being a property owner or do you have to join the club? The other golf course neighborhood would be Ridgepointe but it is much more expensive. You don't see community pools too much around Jonesboro. One smaller town you might be interested in is Paragould. It is about 20 minutes away. It is wet. Many people commute from there. The travel time would depend on how far into Jonesboro your job site would be. Where would you be working?

Old 11-16-2007, 08:20 AM

3,326 posts, read 8,858,234 times
You can't buy alcohol of any kind in Craighead county. A few restaurants might be able serve alcohol. Greene county is where most in Jonesboro would go to get alcohol. There's a store on the county line, of course.
Arkansas' in the dark ages on this one. I guess they don't realize that by making people drive even farther to get liquor, they're just increasing the number of drunk drivers on the road. Studies have shown that dry counties have more DUI problems than wet ones do. Go figure.
Paragould is one of the closer towns that isn't dry. Even they can be weird about it, though. There's a whole section of town that used to fight to stay dry (there was a "gentelman's" agreement before). It's still an issue. Be prepared for culture shock, there. I've known a LOT of people that moved to Paragould from places like Ohio, Michigan, and California that........well, let's just say they didn't fit in. (gotta be careful of Arkansawer's defensiveness)
Community swimming pools are almost unheard of in that part of Arkansas. I'll admit, though, that the more outsiders that move in, the more you'll see things like that. Even Paragould has a pretty cool community center now. I was floored when I first saw it. If you decide to look at Paragould, do LOTS of research. I'm doing my best not to put down Paragould. I'm not usually this nice about it. Paragoulder's should be proud. It's my day off, it's Friday......I feel pleasant and happy.
Good luck with your move.

Old 11-16-2007, 08:37 AM

Default dry county

About Sage Meadows I think you get access to the pool and tennis courts by just being a property owner. The golf course you have to pay dues for. I know how hot and sticky it gets in AR in the summer, I would think there would be a lot more pools? My husband would be working at the Post plant, I'm not sure where I'll find a job at.

Thanks for the info on the dry county stuff. At least we would be surrounded by 4 wet counties. Just found out that my wine club won't ship to Arkansas, though they did say they'd ship to a liquor store and I could pick it up there...will have to see if I can work that out.

Old 11-16-2007, 08:42 AM

3,326 posts, read 8,858,234 times
Quote:
I know how hot and sticky it gets in AR in the summer, I would think there would be a lot more pools?
It's a lower-income area.

Old 11-16-2007, 08:59 AM

Quote:
About Sage Meadows I think you get access to the pool and tennis courts by just being a property owner. The golf course you have to pay dues for. I know how hot and sticky it gets in AR in the summer, I would think there would be a lot more pools? My husband would be working at the Post plant, I'm not sure where I'll find a job at.

Thanks for the info on the dry county stuff. At least we would be surrounded by 4 wet counties. Just found out that my wine club won't ship to Arkansas, though they did say they'd ship to a liquor store and I could pick it up there...will have to see if I can work that out.
I can smell the Blueberries from the Post plant from here (seriously)

restaurants in Jonesboro with Liquor permits..I think..the Outback Steakhouse, Ocharleys, sheffields, (there are others)

In greene county--Linwood steakhouse, brick oven pizza(college kids), Chilis, (you did say good-lol)

Old 11-16-2007, 09:34 AM

Dan: Our wine club is with Rodney Strong (California) and we've enjoyed all of the wines we've had so far. We used to live in Modesto, CA and would make trips to wine country frequently. We really enjoyed the Paso Robles area, great wines!

Arguy1973: Yeah! Well, at least we can pay the club fee and have a steak and a beer or a glass of wine at Outback. Glad to hear there's a decent pizza place with beer nearby too. I hate to sound like this is going to be the end of the world for us...but I always enjoy a glass of wine with my dinner...so it kind of is.

Any good places to look for computer jobs? I saw there was an IT job opening at an Alberto Culver plant.

Old 11-16-2007, 09:41 AM

the Alberto Plant is only about 5-10 minutes from Post, it wont open probably for another 3-6 months, its still being built. There are quite a few communications companies here that I see ads for jobs. E. Ritter Communications is one, and there are several others..here is the link to the local paper.

Jonesboro Sun
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas