Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 01:34 PM

113 posts, read 654,458 times

Advertisements

Back when I lived in Hot Springs, I lived on the other end of Hot Springs from Hot Springs Village and I had no reason for entering Hot Springs Village, which I understood at the time to be limited to people who owned property in Hot Springs Village. A close lady friend of mine lived in Hot Springs Village and she told me a little bit about how nice it is there. Hence, I'd like to know whether or not Hot Springs Village is still a gated community? I haven't returned there since about 1981..., so I'm seeking more current information. Ok?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2008, 06:55 PM

45 posts, read 176,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_the_gloaming View Post
Back when I lived in Hot Springs, I lived on the other end of Hot Springs from Hot Springs Village and I had no reason for entering Hot Springs Village, which I understood at the time to be limited to people who owned property in Hot Springs Village. A close lady friend of mine lived in Hot Springs Village and she told me a little bit about how nice it is there. Hence, I'd like to know whether or not Hot Springs Village is still a gated community? I haven't returned there since about 1981..., so I'm seeking more current information. Ok?
Yes, the Village is still gated. Visitors get a temporary card which lets them enter to visit a property owner. Workers have either cards or work stickers. It's a really nice place to live -- more amenities than it used to have (on either end -- I'm at the east end and we now have a little shopping center with a grocery store). Not much crime, lots of friendly people, and it's beautiful -- especially now that the dogwoods are blooming. All kinds of folks live here, not just "rich retirees" -- and we're not all old folks. I have a 16-year-old neighbor who's a star high school basketball player. The gates just mean that it's easier for those of us who travel to leave our homes for extended periods and not worry about them. (Plus our neighbors look out for them too!)

Old 04-10-2008, 09:41 AM

113 posts, read 654,458 times
Default a thank you note

Thank you cygnet! The road from Hot Springs to Russelville used to take me two hours to drive it even though it is only about 60 miles, thru heavily forested land, heavily traveled by trucks, with lots of little access roads, and a speed limit of 20 mph. Is that still true today? I'm asking because of the time lapse between when I lived there and today. Back then gas was two gallons for a buck. If that gives you a clue as to when that was, if you remember back that far. Hopefully, you do. I think that road was highway 9.

To use an Arkansas expression: "The road" to Russelville from Hot Springs "was as crooked as a dog's hind leg".

Last edited by in_the_gloaming; 04-10-2008 at 09:44 AM.. Reason: comment

Old 04-10-2008, 09:57 AM

2,370 posts, read 7,759,360 times
Quote:
Thank you cygnet! The road from Hot Springs to Russelville used to take me two hours to drive it even though it is only about 60 miles, thru heavily forested land, heavily traveled by trucks, with lots of little access roads, and a speed limit of 20 mph. Is that still true today? I'm asking because of the time lapse between when I lived there and today. Back then gas was two gallons for a buck. If that gives you a clue as to when that was, if you remember back that far. Hopefully, you do. I think that road was highway 9.

To use an Arkansas expression: "The road" to Russelville from Hot Springs "was as crooked as a dog's hind leg".
I always liked, "so crooked you could meet yourself."

Old 04-10-2008, 02:56 PM

45 posts, read 176,112 times
Quote:

That's hwy 7, which the state refers to as "Scenic Highway 7." It's still about an hour and a half drive from the Village to Russellville, unless it's me in my little Tracker, in which case...it's not that long. Speed limits are higher than 20 but if it's logging season it doesn't matter anyway. It's a pretty drive though -- we used to take it to Ola and then go west up to Ft. Smith. You just can't be in a hurry.

Old 04-13-2008, 03:54 PM

452 posts, read 1,722,535 times
You HAVE to stop along the way and take pics. There are some really good scenic overlooks/wide places on the side of the road...etc., where you can pull over. Gorgeous views!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas