Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2017, 09:00 AM

4,314 posts, read 4,004,850 times

Advertisements

I was reading the internet comments from the Little Rock Democrat Gazette , and some were all over the spectrum.

The one I agreed most with is........." the law is the law. If you disagree have your legislature change the law "

I am opposed to the death penalty but it really bothered me that one of the inmates who is now on death row had escaped from prison and murdered an Arkansas farmer before being recaptured.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2017, 02:12 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,866,278 times
I am not opposed to it at all, if the person is guilty beyound any doubt and the crime is a grusom one. What I am opposed to is the cost to keep the criminal alive for 20 years. Everyone is entitled to their day in court and this means a fair trial and at least one appeal. After that I have no problems. What I have trouble with, and I know I am opening up a can of worms, how can people be opposed to capitol punishment and yet,be in favor of a women's right to choose, which means taking the life of an innocent baby?

Old 04-21-2017, 02:31 PM

4,314 posts, read 4,004,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I am not opposed to it at all, if the person is guilty beyound any doubt and the crime is a grusom one. What I am opposed to is the cost to keep the criminal alive for 20 years. Everyone is entitled to their day in court and this means a fair trial and at least one appeal. After that I have no problems. What I have trouble with, and I know I am opening up a can of worms, how can people be opposed to capitol punishment and yet,be in favor of a women's right to choose, which means taking the life of an innocent baby?
I agree 100 %.

And it seems most of the liberal anti- capital punishment people are pro-choice.

Old 04-21-2017, 03:43 PM

2,077 posts, read 2,020,960 times
I am originally from Texas and yep your are right I am liberal and pro choice but really don't see what pro choice has to do with this . The right to choose also means adoption or keeping the baby - I know .
Anyway being from there , I have death penalty overload . SO many of ours were found to be innocent some times years later (strangely it was usually a relative of the executed who'd done the crime ) that I don't want to be a part of it at all even if it is just my tax money. It costs more to execute anyway and some of Texas' executioners have mental health issues now and I don't feel like humans are qualified to say when another human is ready to leave here involuntarily. Murderers or executioners .
Some people are truly mean but I don't care to lower myself to that level .

Plus these ignorant states are no longer using the right drugs to execute anyone properly . Benzos'??? Really?? Give me a break .

Old 04-22-2017, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchessCottonPuff View Post
I am originally from Texas and yep your are right I am liberal and pro choice but really don't see what pro choice has to do with this . The right to choose also means adoption or keeping the baby - I know .
Anyway being from there , I have death penalty overload . SO many of ours were found to be innocent some times years later (strangely it was usually a relative of the executed who'd done the crime ) that I don't want to be a part of it at all even if it is just my tax money. It costs more to execute anyway and some of Texas' executioners have mental health issues now and I don't feel like humans are qualified to say when another human is ready to leave here involuntarily. Murderers or executioners .
Some people are truly mean but I don't care to lower myself to that level .

Plus these ignorant states are no longer using the right drugs to execute anyone properly . Benzos'??? Really?? Give me a break .
not using the right drugs is another topic. I am sure many of us agree with you on that and yes, pro choice does mean more than one thing, but the fact remains, if you are pro choice you are not opposed to taking the life of a baby. The baby is innocent, a person who takes another life is not innocent. With modern technology, the days of executing an innocent person is very unlikely. If you notice I also said, there should be no doubt about the persons guilt.

Let me add, you mention pro choice means the right to give a child up for adoption or being a single parent. as well as I do, before the phrase "pro choice" was used those choices were always there. Too bad, too many decide to abort instead of giving their child up for adoption. My heart goes out to so many couples who want to adopt now days: Our 2 wonderful, younger children (grown up now) with families of their own, may not have ever seen life if they were conceived today.

Old 04-22-2017, 08:12 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,514,186 times
What's wrong with a can of worms? It goes to the notion that people want easy ways out of things. And the money. Wait a minute - the baby can be put up for adoption, right? Right. So money's not an issue. Abortion is wrong, nmnita. You are absolutely right. Capital punishment - I don't have a problem with it, if the person is undoubtedly guilty. Has to be proven beyond a shadow of a doubt first.

There's always people wanting to adopt. Don't abort a baby - that's so awful. Just sickening. Is that woman...afraid? Afraid ta go through childbirth. I don't know. I'm trying ta figure it out. My Mom told me when we found out that my wife was pregnant we could abort the baby. She wasn't my wife yet...this was back in early 1980. I looked at her over my cheeseburger and thought "yeah, right." I chose not to argue with her.

That kid? He's now 37 and living in Phoenix. And I am proud of him and love him with all my heart. Abortion? Pffft. Sick and gross. And a morally bankrupt decision.

Old 04-22-2017, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
What's wrong with a can of worms? It goes to the notion that people want easy ways out of things. And the money. Wait a minute - the baby can be put up for adoption, right? Right. So money's not an issue. Abortion is wrong, nmnita. You are absolutely right. Capital punishment - I don't have a problem with it, if the person is undoubtedly guilty. Has to be proven beyond a shadow of a doubt first.

There's always people wanting to adopt. Don't abort a baby - that's so awful. Just sickening. Is that woman...afraid? Afraid ta go through childbirth. I don't know. I'm trying ta figure it out. My Mom told me when we found out that my wife was pregnant we could abort the baby. She wasn't my wife yet...this was back in early 1980. I looked at her over my cheeseburger and thought "yeah, right." I chose not to argue with her.

That kid? He's now 37 and living in Phoenix. And I am proud of him and love him with all my heart. Abortion? Pffft. Sick and gross. And a morally bankrupt decision.
My feeling: women are often to selfish to carry the baby and give it up for adoption: they can't comprehend the baby is a living human being from conception. I will add, I do see a very few times when I agree with abortion; one time, would be, if the child is so damaged it can not survive after birth.

Old 04-22-2017, 08:50 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,767,870 times
Thank you, nita and elktronics, for having the courage to say these things....I was going to chime in but you two have handled it nicely.

Old 04-22-2017, 08:53 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,514,186 times
My feeling: women are often to selfish to carry the baby and give it up for adoption: they can't comprehend the baby is a living human being from conception. I will add, I do see a very few times when I agree with abortion; one time, would be, if the child is so damaged it can not survive after birth.

I agree with you there, too. And doctors can now see that the baby is going to be born that way before the baby is born, too. Right? With ultrasound. So I agree - abortion is right in those cases. In the least painful manner possible, of course.

The morons over in China that are torturing dogs before killing them before cooking them for food need to be stopped with Maxwell's Silver Hammer, too. Anyone googling 'Yulin Dog Festival' can learn about this "dog festival" that is allowed to go on every June in Yulin, China. So sick, so gross, so infuriating.

Old 04-22-2017, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post

I agree with you there, too. And doctors can now see that the baby is going to be born that way before the baby is born, too. Right? With ultrasound. So I agree - abortion is right in those cases. In the least painful manner possible, of course.

The morons over in China that are torturing dogs before killing them before cooking them for food need to be stopped with Maxwell's Silver Hammer, too. Anyone googling 'Yulin Dog Festival' can learn about this "dog festival" that is allowed to go on every June in Yulin, China. So sick, so gross, so infuriating.
I agree with you again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas