U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-25-2017, 09:08 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
67,273 posts, read 76,997,465 times
Reputation: 36477

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
I'm staunchly conservative towards all matters concerning D.C., but locally I might be called a sewer socialist.
The most local forms of government are far more in tune with the needs and expectations of the local population so a little tax, spend and city codes are easier to understand. Also, it helps to keep tabs on what the government officials are up to when they (the locals) are the main focus.
Sidewalks, curbing, street lights that look nice, recreational trails, curbside recycling pickup, underground utilities, maybe some nice landscaping along roadways or other city-owned property. Some people might include public schools, but being a private school person, my biggest concern there is that they can halfway accomplish what they set out to do academically, avoid social engineering, and not kill everyone's property values.
Code enforcement, good zoning and planning without infringing ridiculously too much on property rights would also be nice.
I realize that last one can really be controversial, and that's the great thing about local/state authority over the federal. Locally, people can decide for themselves if they like any of this stuff. There should be something for everyone, and I think there is.
Some entire states can fit the bill, almost.
For me, Arkansas isn't what I prefer. Not trying to offend or cause an argument. I know there are a few towns in Arkansas that come closer to my ideal, I've lived in one, but overall, none of it really appeals to me.
Hope this explains well enough.
Merry Christmas!
ok, so now the truth comes out: you are basing your comments on opinion and in some cases not fact. Everyone does have opinions, that is what makes CD such a good place to visit; it gives us a chance to view others opinions and judge for ourselves what might work of us. What is important to one may not be to someone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-25-2017, 09:30 AM
 
12 posts, read 2,534 times
Reputation: 10
Just saying: We got the high property taxes in our city in Iowa - but we don't have sidewalks and we got to take the trash cans to the curb.
Merry Christmas!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-25-2017, 02:39 PM
sub
 
Location: Ozarkatory
385 posts, read 189,541 times
Reputation: 605
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
ok, so now the truth comes out: you are basing your comments on opinion and in some cases not fact. Everyone does have opinions, that is what makes CD such a good place to visit; it gives us a chance to view others opinions and judge for ourselves what might work of us. What is important to one may not be to someone else.
Of course this all based on opinions.
Obviously, what matters to me doesn't matter to a lot of people. No arguments there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-25-2017, 02:42 PM
sub
 
Location: Ozarkatory
385 posts, read 189,541 times
Reputation: 605
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waylon69 View Post
Just saying: We got the high property taxes in our city in Iowa - but we don't have sidewalks and we got to take the trash cans to the curb.
Merry Christmas!
Yeah, not all places are the same.
This thread is the first I've heard about not taking trash to the curb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-25-2017, 04:44 PM
 
Location: SE corner of the Ozark Redoubt
1,705 posts, read 461,495 times
Reputation: 1523
Quote:
Sidewalks, curbing, street lights that look nice, recreational trails, curbside recycling pickup, underground utilities, maybe some nice landscaping along roadways or other city-owned property. Some people might include public schools, but being a private school person, my biggest concern there is that they can halfway accomplish what they set out to do academically, avoid social engineering, and not kill everyone's property values.
Code enforcement, good zoning and planning without infringing ridiculously too much on property rights would also be nice.
I realize that last one can really be controversial,
All of these things can be controversial. But the nice thing is, when it is local, you can move. Where I live now, they are going to commit collective suicide (in a manner of speaking), and I don't want to be a part of that, so I am moving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top