Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 05:49 PM

34 posts, read 73,285 times

Advertisements

Oh never mind we do have Indian food I just saw an ad for a place. I can't vouch for whether it's good Indian food or not.
Still no Russian food though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2009, 03:22 PM

522 posts, read 1,405,787 times
I'm moving from Austin, TX to Ft. Smith and I want to cry.
I lived there for a few years when I was very young and at the time it wasn't bad. But I was 7, so what did I know. I've compared the crime rate (percentage wise) between the two cities and that just made Ft. Smith even less appealing to me. Thankfully. We only have to live there for six months until our home in Muldrow is finish.
What I don't understand is why there are so many abandon buildings. Why not just fix them up and turn them into something useful? Like office space or a business.

I guess it's not all bad. The weather's nice at least. Much nicer than Texas anyway.
I don't know. I had to spend four days there helping my dad look for a home to rent. I went there optimistic about the place, ready for change but with each day that I spent there I just got more depress.

Old 09-03-2009, 03:40 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,360,632 times
Austin is one of the best places in the country to live, so I can't make you feel any better about your move.

I am surprised that you make Fort Smith out to be Pine Bluff West. FS is not as bad as you make it out to be. The crime isnt an issue for anyone who isnt a criminal and 99% of the bad houses/buildings are segregated in the bad side of town.

BTW, Muldrow is worse than Fort Smith unless you prefer to live next door to a meth lab.

Old 09-03-2009, 04:14 PM

522 posts, read 1,405,787 times
Muldrow is tiny. There's not much there so I don't know how it can be any worse than Ft. Smith. Probably the tiniest place I've ever been to but it's where my parents decided to buy land.
It's out in the middle of no where, literally. The place my dad bought land doesn't even have telephone polls up. I love the outdoors but I don't love it that much.
I'm not saying Ft. Smith is all bad, it's just not what I'm use to.
I'm willing to give it a try (Ft. Smith and Muldrow). Nothing's forever after all. If I don't like it I can always just move back to Texas.
I can cope as long as there's DSL, a good bookstore and a place that makes good coffee.

I've never been to Pine Bluff so I have no comment on that.

Old 09-04-2009, 04:49 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertysFate View Post
I'm moving from Austin, TX to Ft. Smith and I want to cry.
I lived there for a few years when I was very young and at the time it wasn't bad. But I was 7, so what did I know. I've compared the crime rate (percentage wise) between the two cities and that just made Ft. Smith even less appealing to me. Thankfully. We only have to live there for six months until our home in Muldrow is finish.
What I don't understand is why there are so many abandon buildings. Why not just fix them up and turn them into something useful? Like office space or a business.

I guess it's not all bad. The weather's nice at least. Much nicer than Texas anyway.
I don't know. I had to spend four days there helping my dad look for a home to rent. I went there optimistic about the place, ready for change but with each day that I spent there I just got more depress.
Just look at it from a positive side, enjoy what NWA has to offer for those 6 months. I don't think I would worry too much about crime, you will probably be living in a safe neighborhood. Remember a small town and that is really what Fr Smith is compared to Austin can appear to have a higher crime rate than it actually does. When there isn't a lot of population it doesn't take much crime to throw those statistics crazy.

As you said, it is only 6 months, with the holidays coming etc that time will fly by.

Good luck,

Nita

Old 09-04-2009, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertysFate View Post
Muldrow is tiny. There's not much there so I don't know how it can be any worse than Ft. Smith. Probably the tiniest place I've ever been to but it's where my parents decided to buy land.
It's out in the middle of no where, literally. The place my dad bought land doesn't even have telephone polls up. I love the outdoors but I don't love it that much.
I'm not saying Ft. Smith is all bad, it's just not what I'm use to.
I'm willing to give it a try (Ft. Smith and Muldrow). Nothing's forever after all. If I don't like it I can always just move back to Texas.
I can cope as long as there's DSL, a good bookstore and a place that makes good coffee.

I've never been to Pine Bluff so I have no comment on that.
Well if you like the countryside you certainly will enjoy Muldrow. By the way there is a great little diner there for breakfast. On our way form BV to Texas several times a year we always stop for breakfast, it is called 4 Star diner, it is the typical, small town, greasy spoon place, always busy and very inexpensive with great breakfasts.

Nita

Old 09-04-2009, 05:48 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,194,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Just look at it from a positive side, enjoy what NWA has to offer for those 6 months. I don't think I would worry too much about crime, you will probably be living in a safe neighborhood. Remember a small town and that is really what Fr Smith is compared to Austin can appear to have a higher crime rate than it actually does. When there isn't a lot of population it doesn't take much crime to throw those statistics crazy.

As you said, it is only 6 months, with the holidays coming etc that time will fly by.

Good luck,

Nita
Fort Smith may be a lot smaller than Austin Texas, but with a population of 84,716 I doubt their crime rate gets skewed because they are a --small town-- and --it doesn't take much crime to throw those statistics crazy

I would agree with a town of 1,000 people that statement would be true.

By the way-------the US average crime rating is 320
Fort Smith's is 585
Austin Texas( 467) is lower than Fort Smith's, but still 147 points above the national average.

Old 09-04-2009, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Fort Smith may be a lot smaller than Austin Texas, but with a population of 84,716 I doubt their crime rate gets skewed because they are a --small town-- and --it doesn't take much crime to throw those statistics crazy

I would agree with a town of 1,000 people that statement would be true.

By the way-------the US average crime rating is 320
Fort Smith's is 585
Austin Texas( 467) is lower than Fort Smith's, but still 147 points above the national average.

thanks for posting that, I guess I am just so used to huge cities (until I moved here) I think anything under 100,000 can be thrown off by stats and size. Of course I don't beleive much in stats period. There are too many variables. In this case, is most of the crime in one area? Another, what type of crimes are we talking about? Murder, armed robbery, burlary, drug selling, rape, or what?

Nita

Old 09-04-2009, 08:51 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,243,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
thanks for posting that, I guess I am just so used to huge cities (until I moved here) I think anything under 100,000 can be thrown off by stats and size. Of course I don't beleive much in stats period. There are too many variables. In this case, is most of the crime in one area? Another, what type of crimes are we talking about? Murder, armed robbery, burlary, drug selling, rape, or what?

Nita
Maybe something like this.

AMW.com | Unknown Melissa Witt Killer - Fugitive

http://www.amw.com/fugitives/case.cfm?id=59549

And the killer may still be there...

Old 09-04-2009, 09:27 AM

163 posts, read 616,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Foosball View Post
The crime isnt an issue for anyone who isnt a criminal and 99% of the bad houses/buildings are segregated in the bad side of town.
I do not agree with that statement and can't ignore it.
I would say that a sizable percentage of victims of crime are not criminals and crime became a huge issue for them.

From my experience of law enforcement in other States, Arkansas is sadly lacking in dealing with the criminal element in some areas of the State, but I am aware that this may be a budgetary issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas