Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 05:23 PM

20 posts, read 38,817 times

Advertisements

The family and I are thinking of moving to northwest Arkansas in a year or two. We love the beauty and solid economy (although I'm a little weary of the conservative/religious leanings of the area).

Anyway, what exactly is meant by "dry" and "partially dry" counties? Here in Arizona there's no such thing. I never even heard of such a thing until visiting there. I mean, I know it has to do with Alcohol, but in what way? Is it illegal to drink, buy, drink in public, drink in bars, or what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2011, 05:47 PM

3,201 posts, read 3,856,510 times
You can drink in dry counties, you can drink in restaurants in dry counties. You have to go to Washingon County (Fayetteville, Springdale) or Missouri (just north of Bentonville, Bella Vista) to buy beer, wine, liquor if you live in Benton County.

Somebody else can explain the legalities and loopholes.

Texas has the same dry/wet issues. Dallas in the 90s was dry and wet depending what part of town you were in. It may still be the same. Every suburb had its own dry or wet laws.

If you drink, come on down. You got nothing to worry about. I'm sure as many people drink in Arkansas as in Arizona.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesT View Post
The family and I are thinking of moving to northwest Arkansas in a year or two. We love the beauty and solid economy (although I'm a little weary of the conservative/religious leanings of the area).

Anyway, what exactly is meant by "dry" and "partially dry" counties? Here in Arizona there's no such thing. I never even heard of such a thing until visiting there. I mean, I know it has to do with Alcohol, but in what way? Is it illegal to drink, buy, drink in public, drink in bars, or what?

Old 10-11-2011, 07:04 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,159,195 times
Quote:
We love the beauty and solid economy (although I'm a little weary of the conservative/religious leanings of the area).
If you're "weary" of the political and religious leanings of the area, and you aren't even here yet, you'll be miserable if you move. It is what it is.

The dry vs. wet counties thing is odd, but really doesn't slow down people.

Old 10-11-2011, 07:10 PM

What is the religious difference between Arizona and Arkansas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballette View Post
If you're "weary" of the political and religious leanings of the area, and you aren't even here yet, you'll be miserable if you move. It is what it is.

The dry vs. wet counties thing is odd, but really doesn't slow down people.

Old 10-11-2011, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebaldknobber View Post
I live in Arkansas. What is the religious difference between Arizona and Arkansas?
LOL! Yes, and I live in Arizona and have lots of family in Arkansas.

This is off topic for this thread, but since the o/p mentioned political and religious issues, here goes. In Arkansas, it's been my experience you're more likely to be asked which church you attend and you're somewhat more likely to witness public prayer in restaurants, etc. than you'd tend to experience in Arizona. It's just a cultural difference.

None of these things bother me one little bit. But some people are freaked out by any association with anything related to Christianity. I also have family in Arkansas who are agnostics, and they have no problem whatsoever. Some people have thinner skins or a lower tolerance for differences, and that's all I'm saying.

Old 10-11-2011, 07:32 PM

2,457 posts, read 7,378,164 times
Dry and partially dry? I live here and had not heard that term used, but a WAG on my part; "Dry" means you cannot legally buy any alcohol, and "partially dry" you can buy mixed drinks in private clubs. "Private Clubs" are quite common in "dry" counties. And, all dry counties have bootleggers. I once lived in a dry county which had so many bootleggers they had to wear name tags to keep from try to sell to each other

Old 10-11-2011, 07:39 PM

Most people in Arkansas are live and let live. I don't see any reason anyone would be uncomfortable living in Arkansas.

I live here and never go to church. People rarely ask me about religion, and no one cares.

Quote:
LOL! Yes, and I live in Arizona and have lots of family in Arkansas.

This is off topic for this thread, but since the o/p mentioned political and religious issues, here goes. In Arkansas, it's been my experience you're more likely to be asked which church you attend and you're somewhat more likely to witness public prayer in restaurants, etc. than you'd tend to experience in Arizona. It's just a cultural difference.

None of these things bother me one little bit. But some people are freaked out by any association with anything related to Christianity. I also have family in Arkansas who are agnostics, and they have no problem whatsoever. Some people have thinner skins or a lower tolerance for differences, and that's all I'm saying.

Old 10-11-2011, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebaldknobber View Post
Most people in Arkansas are live and let live. I don't see any reason anyone would be uncomfortable living in Arkansas.

I live here and never go to church. People rarely ask me about religion, and no one cares.
No argument here. But if a person who is contemplating moving here tells you they're weary of the political and religious envronment, that may be a clue that their sensibilities are different than yours. Different strokes, and all. And that's simply my opinion, and you're entitled to one of your own.

Old 10-11-2011, 08:20 PM

Moderator cut: snip

Kentucky has a lot of dry counties considering all the bourbon they produce.

Utah is Wet. I remember they had to walk around the bar at a TGI Friday's to give me a beer in Salt Lake City. They said they couldn't slide the beer across bar if place was primarily a restaurant. I didn't care about the curious law, I had my Budweiser.

Quote:
No argument here. But if a person who is contemplating moving here tells you they're weary of the political and religious envronment, that may be a clue that their sensibilities are different than yours. Different strokes, and all. And that's simply my opinion, and you're entitled to one of your own.

Last edited by Kimballette; 11-26-2011 at 02:08 PM.. Reason: copyright issues - please post original material only

Old 10-12-2011, 05:03 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times
Quote:

I haven't read all the responses but I am sure your questions have been answered..I will tell you, NWA (Washington and Benton couties) are not as religious as it might sound like. Yes, most people attend church or belong to a church, but they are not really what I would call over the top. They might even ask you what church you attend, it is rare for them to push their religion though or look down on people who do not have a home church. Of course there are exceptions to this rule. yes, the area is overall conservative, again, there are many liberals in the area as well so no one needs to feel out of place.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas