Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 12:54 PM

437 posts, read 929,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaultingcowgirl View Post
I am looking at moving to Arkansas from Colorado. I have a few horses, and currently am the administative assistant at an assisted living. My boyfriend works as the foreman for cleary building comapnys. We like the simple life, and beautiful scenery. Nature, hiking, camping, fishing and all the good stuff. We will probully be moving sometime this summer, but i dont know what part of Arkansas to live in!!!! I want to buy a house, right now I rent. Ideally I would like to move to a new area where we would rent for 3 months, and then buy a house. We will go down to the new town about 1 month before our planned move t secure our jobs and housing situations. Does any one have any suggestions of where in Arkansas would be nice to live? I want to be no more then 30 minutes from the city. I would like to rent where i can keep my horses some where, preferablly on the same land as i am. Please let me know if anyone has any ideas for me about any of this!!! Thank you!!!!
Well Mountain Home Arkansas was i believe 1st or second in hunting. And 1st or 2nd in fishing there are a lot of places between MH and Gassville AR that would be great for your horses. Esp. if u want to build your own house. we have lots of great mexican restaurants!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2009, 05:56 PM

763 posts, read 2,660,338 times
Beautiful scenery, great hunting and fishing. Trout fishing also.

Old 01-08-2009, 05:19 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,937,911 times
Default Where To Live in AR

Anyone have any ideas on this? Where in AR would this fit: Low crime, rolling hills or mountains(nearby), beautiful scenery, highest probability of finding jobs within 30 miles, affordable housing(seems that all of AR is really affordable to me)! Hopefully not where the humidity is the worst! Shopping & restaurants within 10 miles. Lake within 30 miles. Is there such a place or something similar? I know everyone has different opinions, but anyones input would be appreciated. I'm still trying to figure out where to move to. The employment situation really limits where a person can live. I probably spend 4-5 hours a day reasearching places & reading everyones ideas, hoping I'll get it figured out by March!! One more thing, all of AR is subject to tornadoes, right? Any place worse then others? Thank you.

Old 01-10-2009, 08:51 AM

465 posts, read 1,417,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bufford View Post
Anyone have any ideas on this? Where in AR would this fit: Low crime, rolling hills or mountains(nearby), beautiful scenery, highest probability of finding jobs within 30 miles, affordable housing(seems that all of AR is really affordable to me)! Hopefully not where the humidity is the worst! Shopping & restaurants within 10 miles. Lake within 30 miles. Is there such a place or something similar? I know everyone has different opinions, but anyones input would be appreciated. I'm still trying to figure out where to move to. The employment situation really limits where a person can live. I probably spend 4-5 hours a day reasearching places & reading everyones ideas, hoping I'll get it figured out by March!! One more thing, all of AR is subject to tornadoes, right? Any place worse then others? Thank you.
Tornadoes are unpredictable by their nature, both Fort Smith and Little Rock have been hit by bad tornadoes in the past ten years. I don't think there is anywhere to go to in Arkansas where you will immune from them. Probably the best thing you can do is invest in an underground shelter.

Old 01-10-2009, 09:08 AM

7 posts, read 13,650 times
Move to Hot Springs, lots of night life and close to Little Rock. The economy is still doing ok.

Old 01-11-2009, 02:35 PM

34 posts, read 191,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaultingcowgirl View Post
Well, the horse market there is good and bad for me. I train horses, and with the industry bein as bad as it is, I pretty much had to cut back on that, and do more office work.

I am looking at the outskirts Conway, because there is a Morton Buildings that my boyfriend could work for, and i can work either at the city or just another assisted living, like i am now.

I just dont want to end up in a huge city that i dont like. I want to be close to trees, rivers, lakes. But within 30 minutes of town. I know there are alot of pretty places in Arkansas, we just dont have any huge reason to move to one part over another.

We are a young couple, and right now we live in one of the biggest retirement communitys around here. So there is not much for a young couple to do. He is sick of the winters out here, and also wants to be closer to more outdoors things. And i just miss all the green trees and grass (I am origionally from MI).
Toad Suck, AR. Just kidding. Conway is near Ft. Smith and Little Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenoter View Post
Take a look at the Fayetteville, Bentonville, Rogers, & Bella Vista area in NW Arkansas.
These are at least 40-60 minutes from Conway.

Old 01-11-2009, 03:35 PM

1 posts, read 2,445 times
Default Finding a place in Arkansas

We have lived in various areas of Arkansas - none we love more than the Kiamichi Valley in western Arkansas! Over the past 34 years we have come to know the area of the western Ouachita Mts west of Mena, Arkansas. It is a great place for horses...in fact the author of "Horses of Proud Spirit" is one of our neighbors right now.

Unfortunately, the ranch place we are living right now is not going to be available as of April 1st. As you are involved in "Assisted Living" and have horse interests we would be VERY interested in speaking with you further about your/our relocation efforts. We know the area very well and can introduce you to key people who I'm sure would help your transition be a smooth one. Let's talk!

Old 01-11-2009, 07:12 PM

171 posts, read 326,898 times
Why do you like the Oklahoma City area more than Northern Arkansas? Just curious. I have lived in both of these places.

Old 01-11-2009, 07:20 PM

Great Mexican Food, for sure, at Gassville.....has it been rebuilt since being blown away by the tornado? Is it still on Highway 62 ? I loved that place. Whatever happened to the donkey and man statues? Did they survive the tornado?

Rae Valley is a great place....lots of history there, huh? That little cabin in the woods down by the river. I heard that's what started it all for the Clinton thing.

Love the rope swing into the wonderful water at Cotter Springs! They've done a fantastic job on repairing the old historical bridge, and the Railroad Memorial thing at Cotter is great, too.

I've never seen anything any prettier than driving through the fog on the Highway 62 bridge there. I've been from one side of this nation to the other, and I love that scene more than any, even the fog in San Francisco.

Old 01-11-2009, 07:28 PM

If I ever win the lottery......I will move to Calico Rock, Arkansas, buy up every building there that I could and turn it into a great Spa location, like the one in Calistoga, California or Napa Valley. I can just imagine the vineyard on the South end, across the bridge, and have my wonderful touristy spa and shops up on the cliff area in town, with lots of riding trails, hiking, biking, boat rafting, fishing, you name it. So much could be done there.

I'll be glad to head it up, if anyone has the funds!

Calico Rock is a quaint OLD little town between Mountain Home and Mountain View. The view is spectacular.

Has anyone heard about Disney purchasing hundreds of acres near that area? Wouldn't that be a great location for another Disney Park! I've heard the rumor, but don't know if it is a fact or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas