Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 10:01 PM

22 posts, read 62,397 times

Advertisements

Hello, I'm in the thinking process of moving out of Dallas and trying out Arkansas...I'm an artist and photographer and I can't seem to get adjusted in Dallas. I live in Deep Ellum area and it's artsy, but again is not happening here. I'm looking for a small town feel, lots of nature, cool shops, antiques, and I love those areas that are cozy and have a nostalgic feel when you walk. I want to be close to an art community. My art is very eclectic as well as my photography. I'm planning on opening a small shop asap. I also do window displays as a freelance basis. So with all this information, I'm hoping that someone gears me to the right direction. Any other feed backs would be great. I love the downtown feel, so that's also something to think on. Hope to get some great feed back.. Thank you for taking the time in reading this. Laz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2009, 10:11 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,252,682 times
Take a look at the Hillcrest/Heights areas in Little Rock. They have a very old fashioned, historical small-town feel. Fayetteville, Hot Springs, and Eureka Springs also come to mind, as does historic Van Buren. Unfortunately most of your run-of-the-mill small towns in Arkansas have been completely devoured by Wal-Mart so they have little charm left. There are a few pockets though in the places I mentioned.

Last edited by bchris02; 05-04-2009 at 10:30 PM..

Old 05-04-2009, 11:14 PM

99 posts, read 350,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creativeye View Post
I'm looking for a small town feel Check, lots of nature Check, cool shops, antiques Check, and I love those areas that are cozy and have a nostalgic feel when you walk There is some interesting local history here. I want to be close to an art community. I don't know much about the art scene here. However, I do know it exists and would be worth looking into.
I would suggest a visit to Hot Springs. We have much of what you are looking for. Also, Eureka Springs may fit your wants as well. I have never visited there. However, other threads I have read regarding Eureka Springs describe it as a quaint artsy town.

Old 05-05-2009, 05:37 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,786,757 times
I would recommend the Argenta Area in North Little Rock.
If you're old enough, you might be able to become an Artist in Residence for the University of Arkansas in Little Rock. I think the deadline to apply for that has passed though.
It's crazy you bring up art because just yesterday at work I was reading the newspaper about Arkansas having a touch time attracting those in the art field.

Old 05-05-2009, 07:49 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,947,486 times
Eureka springs is probably your best bet, but since you are in Texas I would take a look at Austin...Great place.

Old 05-05-2009, 07:52 AM

200 posts, read 682,267 times
I definitely would agree with the Hot Springs / Eureka Springs suggestions. I've visited both and absolutely love them.

Another I would like to throw out there, if I may, is El Dorado. I know, some others on here will be saying "What the...?", but bear with me. El Dorado's Main Street program just won the National Main Street of the Year award. A lot of the buildings in the downtown square have been remodelled / restored. El Dorado is home to the South Arkansas Arts Center, which routinely hosts travelling art and photography exhibits, and also puts on about 4 plays a year. El Dorado is home to the South Arkansas Symphony, which puts on about 5 or 6 concerts a year. Artists have made sculptures out of oil drums, and those sculptures are placed around the square. Old-timey street lights and an old-timey phone booth also decorate the square. El Dorado also has an historic district, whose mission is to preserve the older homes just down the road from the square. El Dorado also has a decent live music scene on Friday and Saturday nights.

As for small town feel, El Do is sort of caught between "small town" and "small city". As for antiques, there are a couple of antique shops, and quite a few more "flea market" shops. As for nature, El Do is smack dab in the middle of the big Piney Woods, the Ouachita River lies to our north and east, and the Felsenthal Wildlife Refuge is within a half-hour's drive.

Maybe El Do is a place for you to set up shop, and then maybe not. But I think you would definitely enjoy a visit.

Old 05-05-2009, 06:39 PM

22 posts, read 62,397 times
Wow, thanks so far for the reply's. I will start looking into these areas and I'm thinking in 2 weeks in visiting Arkansas for 4 days..

Old 05-06-2009, 11:18 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Hot Springs is not a seasonal as Eureka Springs. They are both artsy and seem to fit what you are hoping to find, but Eureka Springs pretty much closes down in the winter. To would have to make enough in the summer to keep you going all year.

Nita

Old 05-06-2009, 03:28 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,874,717 times
It's not that the city of Eureka Springs closes down in the winter, just that a lot of the touristy components shut down. I love to go shopping there in the winter. Most of the galleries and restaurants are open (though they may cut back on their schedules) and the prices in many of the shops are quite good. I also quite like Berryville.

Old 05-06-2009, 03:34 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,874,717 times
Also, if you are planning on visiting at the end of May, you should definitely solidify your plans now regarding Eureka Springs. The Blues Festival is coming up, and between that and people coming to Table Rock and Beaver Lakes for Memorial Day, hotel rooms can be scarce.

Eureka Springs Blues Festival
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas