Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 02:03 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,869,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceChild View Post
I never said that they don't see skin color. I said that they are not afraid of skin color. As far as the amount of hate groups in various states go; look how many there are in the North and South and look at the difference in populations between the states.

Big difference.

SPLCenter.org: Hate Groups Map
But PeaceCHild, the SPLC doesn't tell you how many members each of these groups has. If one state has 16 hate groups, but those hate groups have 16,000 members, and another state has 41 hate groups but only 4100 members, then you look at the difference in populations between states. Otherwise comparing populations isn't informative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2009, 02:05 PM

206 posts, read 439,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post
pa is a big state and lots here, lots in california, NJ isnt a big state but lots of hate groups

its not about population it is about culture and views and a culture that still gives aid to those views and then scapegoats the south as being the one with the problem.

the OG wanted to knwo why there was the Yankee bashing, now we have yankees defending their racism but not seeing that bashing goes on on both sides just as racism has no boundaries
I thought you were in Florida?

Who said anything about racism? Why is that always thrown at someone when there is a simple question asked? I wanted to know why the difference in attitude with the North and South, not what color of skin they had.

Old 06-26-2009, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
But PeaceCHild, the SPLC doesn't tell you how many members each of these groups has. If one state has 16 hate groups, but those hate groups have 16,000 members, and another state has 41 hate groups but only 4100 members, then you look at the difference in populations between states. Otherwise comparing populations isn't informative.
You have made a good point there. Actually, one is one too many.

Old 06-26-2009, 02:12 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,906,428 times
where did you get florida from, i said i am a southern black american living in Philadelphia pa
and have lived in new england, new york and on the left coast as well.

because we are talking about the original post about yankee bashing. in the north, the first thing a northern person asks me about growing up in the south is about racism, did i experience racism growing up in the south, and about how racist the rednecks are in the south. southern bashing!

i have experienced more southern bashing living up north for 20 years. and have experienced more racism in the north then all my years in the south.

the original poster seemed to imply bashing was only one way and somehow the civil war and it consequences should not still be talked about. the bashing goes both ways and for many the civil war goes on, on both sides

Old 06-26-2009, 02:19 PM

Quote:
I thought you were in Florida?

Who said anything about racism? Why is that always thrown at someone when there is a simple question asked? I wanted to know why the difference in attitude with the North and South, not what color of skin they had.
I think carolina is just trying to point out to you that there is a lot of South-bashing that goes on as well. On this forum, I've had people who, upon discovering that I live in Arkansas, took it upon themselves to explain basic concepts in economic theory or socio-political concepts to me, evidently because they perceive the educational system to be so faulty that I wouldn't know who Adam Smith was.

You probably run into prejudice against the South, and mention to people that you aren't originally from Arkansas, thereby re-establishing your credentials. What if you were originally from Arkansas? Would your comments and opinions automatically be less credible? Because that happens all the time.

Look at the reactions from Northerners about the Crystal Bridges Museum. People in Philadelphia and other locales have been very upset, not just about various works of arts leaving their cities, but about where those pieces are going. The remarks they've made are very prejudiced.

I think some of the "Yankee bashing" probably has something to do with residual resentment over losing the Civil War, but some of that sentiment also has to do with people from the North moving into the South, and then trying to "reform" the South. There are some people who move into a place and rather than learning about why things are done a certain way, only learn that things are done differently than they are used to. Differently for them equals wrong. And they want to change things so that the locals do things the "right" way. That breeds resentment, from both sides.

Old 06-26-2009, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post
where did you get florida from, i said i am a southern black american living in Philadelphia pa
and have lived in new england, new york and on the left coast as well.

because we are talking about the original post about yankee bashing. in the north, the first thing a northern person asks me about growing up in the south is about racism, did i experience racism growing up in the south, and about how racist the rednecks are in the south. southern bashing!

i have experienced more southern bashing living up north for 20 years. and have experienced more racism in the north then all my years in the south.

the original poster seemed to imply bashing was only one way and somehow the civil war and it consequences should not still be talked about. the bashing goes both ways and for many the civil war goes on, on both sides
Sorry, I must have misunderstood. I thought you said something about Northerners coming down to Florida. Like you lived there. My bad.

Maybe you just visited the right/wrong places.

So, what do you consider Philly to be, North or South?

Old 06-26-2009, 02:25 PM

36 posts, read 128,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Being on the losing side has apparently brought on a lot of insecurity and hostility, I suppose. But I hear ya. Lived in Arkansas myself for 8 years and heard a lot of baseless "Yankee bashing." Does that road go both ways? Sure. I think some of the hostility towards southerners today eminates from the south's rise in political prominence/power. But accents and religion aside, I don't know that there's that much difference between north and south. I've had plenty of bland food south of the M-D, and northerners may appear more reserved, some of that "friendliness" of the south is just there to mask back-stabbing gossipiness. The greater rift in this country is between urban and rural, not north and south, IMO.

I beg to differ with you...................Are there any TV shows yanking on you Yanks? We just get really tired of being Southern, thought of as Rednecks...............................

Old 06-26-2009, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I think carolina is just trying to point out to you that there is a lot of South-bashing that goes on as well. On this forum, I've had people who, upon discovering that I live in Arkansas, took it upon themselves to explain basic concepts in economic theory or socio-political concepts to me, evidently because they perceive the educational system to be so faulty that I wouldn't know who Adam Smith was.

You probably run into prejudice against the South, and mention to people that you aren't originally from Arkansas, thereby re-establishing your credentials. What if you were originally from Arkansas? Would your comments and opinions automatically be less credible? Because that happens all the time.

Look at the reactions from Northerners about the Crystal Bridges Museum. People in Philadelphia and other locales have been very upset, not just about various works of arts leaving their cities, but about where those pieces are going. The remarks they've made are very prejudiced.

I think some of the "Yankee bashing" probably has something to do with residual resentment over losing the Civil War, but some of that sentiment also has to do with people from the North moving into the South, and then trying to "reform" the South. There are some people who move into a place and rather than learning about why things are done a certain way, only learn that things are done differently than they are used to. Differently for them equals wrong. And they want to change things so that the locals do things the "right" way. That breeds resentment, from both sides.
I've heard of what you speak of regarding Northerners trying to change the way things are done in the South. I don't know why they do it. Maybe they are just used to doing things a certain way or maybe they have a hard time conforming. I really don't have the answer for that one.

If we have Southerners moving North, I don't see the same thing happening. Maybe just my observation. Yankees aren't as bad as some of you may think. We all have feelings.

Old 06-26-2009, 02:29 PM

I've heard of Crystal Bridges Museum. Why would anyone be upset about it?

Old 06-26-2009, 02:30 PM

Quote:
I've heard of what you speak of regarding Northerners trying to change the way things are done in the South. I don't know why they do it. Maybe they are just used to doing things a certain way or maybe they have a hard time conforming. I really don't have the answer for that one.

If we have Southerners moving North, I don't see the same thing happening. Maybe just my observation. Yankees aren't as bad as some of you may think. We all have feelings.
Well, I'm a Yankee, too, who moved to Rogers when it was much smaller, when Yankees were a rarity, not the norm. So I know a little bit about Yankee bashing. And when I went to college in the North, I learned a little bt about Southern-bashing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas