Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 01:36 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,358,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPRINGDALE LCO View Post
Talking about best barbecue -- Rivertowne in Ozark is kinda greasy now sometimes and the brisket is mostly fat at least the last few times we tried it (sorry but it's true, they lowered their standards after they got famous I guess).
I hate to hear that about Rivertowne. It has been eight years since I have been there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2010, 02:30 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,751,523 times
Quote:
Talking about best barbecue -- Rivertowne in Ozark is kinda greasy now sometimes and the brisket is mostly fat at least the last few times we tried it (sorry but it's true, they lowered their standards after they got famous I guess). Better by several country miles is Mainstreet BBQ over in Charleston (southern Franklin County, on Highway 22). OUTSTANDING!!!!!
plus there's more seating and more parking than Rivertowne.
The last time I was there was last summer....it was good then, but maybe has gone down since then. We'll have to try the one in Charleston some time, thanks for the tip.

Catalpa's food is good....be forewarned, though, it's in the middle of NOWHERE at the end of the blacktop, and ugly, and Bud (the cook) is real sight....none of that bothers me, but it might some people. The drive out there is great, though. I've never had anything worth eating at the Oark General Store. Of course, I've only been there twice, but my mom has been several times also, and she said it wasn't ever anything worth writing home about. Nice atmosphere, though, and used to have live music on the weekends, don't know if they still do.

Old 03-15-2010, 05:42 AM

4 posts, read 14,009 times
Could have just been we were there on a bad night or something. Overall the food is still good though. And the atmosphere is nice as always.

Old 03-15-2010, 05:52 AM

4 posts, read 14,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
The last time I was there was last summer....it was good then, but maybe has gone down since then. We'll have to try the one in Charleston some time, thanks for the tip.

Catalpa's food is good....be forewarned, though, it's in the middle of NOWHERE at the end of the blacktop, and ugly, and Bud (the cook) is real sight....none of that bothers me, but it might some people. The drive out there is great, though. I've never had anything worth eating at the Oark General Store. Of course, I've only been there twice, but my mom has been several times also, and she said it wasn't ever anything worth writing home about. Nice atmosphere, though, and used to have live music on the weekends, don't know if they still do.
LOL about the cook at Catalpa Cafe. I think maybe he used to be in the Navy or something, at least that's what he reminds me of -- a retired Navy mess cook. He's like a character in a movie! lol

Yeah the cafe is off the blacktop, on a dirt and gravel (or MUD and gravel county road, but it's a just a little ways off the pavement. And I tell you, you need to be there when they get some of those pies out of the oven. om nom nom. Next time we're up there we'll maybe have time to try out some other stuff on the menu.

At the general store in Oark, close by Catalpa, we had some chicken quesadillas right off the grill, with fresh guacamole, pico de gallo and sour cream. Good stuff. Nice people run the place, nice atmosphere.

Old 03-15-2010, 10:52 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,751,523 times
Quote:
. And I tell you, you need to be there when they get some of those pies out of the oven. om nom nom. Next time we're up there we'll maybe have time to try out some other stuff on the menu.

At the general store in Oark, close by Catalpa, we had some chicken quesadillas right off the grill, with fresh guacamole, pico de gallo and sour cream. Good stuff. Nice people run the place, nice atmosphere.
Yep, we always get a big slice of pie at Catalpa....never have had any fresh out of the oven, though, we're always kinda late in the day getting there. The best meal we ever had there was roast pork loin...mmmmm! And we haven't yet mentioned the homemade, mile-high yeast rolls! My picky daughter, who will hardly eat anything, always gets a grilled cheese and the curly-Qs, son gets a burger and Qs, and they both always say it's delicious. I've eaten some of the curly-Qs, and they are delicious.

The quesadillas sound good....we'll have to try the Oark General Store again some time. Every since we discovered Bud, though, he's had our undying loyalty....LOL I absolutely love the drive from 23 to Oark on 215, along the river.

Old 03-15-2010, 09:06 PM

199 posts, read 319,455 times
OK, I'll bite on this one....

In Hot Springs,
Cajun Boilers (love the seafood platter)
The Brickhouse Grill (prime-rib sandwich)
Belle Arte
McClards (Tamale Spread is awesome)
In Malvern, Randy's has a great breakfast

In Arkadelphia, Greg's

There are many more, I'll try to remember them and post them up.

Old 03-15-2010, 09:29 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,186,695 times
Bearhead Cafe in Booneville.

Old 03-15-2010, 09:30 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,186,695 times
Also, just across the border, Country Cottage Cafe in Thayer MO

Old 03-16-2010, 03:53 PM

2,457 posts, read 7,379,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Bearhead Cafe in Booneville.
Booneville! Wow!! In the 1980s there was a small place across the tracks from the highway and it was painted the school (purple, blue?) colors. You would walk in, line up (usually) at a little window where they served you. The food was fantabulus!!! I don't remember the name - would it be the Bearhead? Was the school the "Boonevile Bears?

Old 03-17-2010, 09:23 AM

1,661 posts, read 5,208,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Also, just across the border, Country Cottage Cafe in Thayer MO
Marmac, tell me about the Country Cottage, I'm in Thayer now & again.

Also, I asked you once about anyplace that stands out in Calico Rock, I think it got lost in the shuffle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas