Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 09:46 PM

10 posts, read 44,783 times

Advertisements

I shall study in the University of Tokyo next year I have particularly chosen this prestigious university due to the fact it is one of the world's best universities. There are other remarkable facts too some of them are that Japanese people are very friendly(I have heard) and that Japan is a beautiful country. I am concern because since a few days ago I have developed a great uneasiness regarding wether to go to Japan or South Korea, Seoul to study. I like Japan but I like South Korea too; so I do not know what to do. Can you please provide me with detail information regarding these two beautiful countries. Information that contains how is the life over there, people(how does everyone react to foreigners, are they friendly to us?), expenses, if there is in Seoul a university that is at the same level of the University of Tokyo(really important), if it is safe for a young lady to live alone, if young people are open minded towards beign friendly to a foreigner(important since in the university almost everyone shall be my age, which means I shall have to interact with young people), food, clothe, weather, etc. Is Seoul National University at the same level of Tokyo University?

If you can answer me, I shall really appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2011, 03:30 AM

212 posts, read 399,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moniksama View Post
Is Seoul National University at the same level of Tokyo University?
I'm sorry but the answer is no.

Tokyo U. > Kyoto U. > Osaka U. > Seoul U.

Old 02-24-2011, 09:01 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
100% attend Japan no matter what.

I've lived in Japan for three years, and lived in Korea for about seven years.

I much prefer Japan on nearly every level. Plus, educational-wise, I just feel that Japan is on another playing field. Korea always felt a little rinky-dink to me. They cut too many corners at every angle.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed living in Seoul quite a bit. But if I had to do it all again, I really wished I'd have gone to Japan a lot earlier than I did!

Plus the Japanese people are just real pleasant to be around.

Also, I didn't know the university rankings, but Ryuji did, and that sounds about right. I just feel like Japan is world-class at every level. Korea, not so much.

Also, I saw you are a female. I'm a guy, but IF I were a foreigner female, I'd much prefer Japanese guys over Korean guys. As a guy, either Korean or Japanese females are pleasant to date. But if I were a female, I really wouldn't personally want to be dating Korean guys.

Old 02-24-2011, 08:11 PM

6 posts, read 28,509 times
Default To the Sama who asked

In general, a country's economic development equals its educational development, at least in the most superficial of measurements popular among young people indoctrinated into this way of thinking by their conventionally minded parents. So maybe the answer to your "dilemma" is to go to Tokyo, as other advise.

As for Ryuji, however, please understand that his "Tokyo U. > Kyoto U. > Osaka U. > Seoul U." schematic is a great simplification. First of all, he is a coward for failing to add Keio and Waseda Universities to his ranking--out of fear of the analytic complexity that would result, no doubt. He wants to be a good little bureaucrat-headed boy by placing at the pyramid's top only the two government universities that wannabe bureaucrats slave through high school to get into, in order to land mindless but cushy government jobs after graduation.

Secondly, his "I'm sorry but…" is entirely insincere. You have in no way indicated that your dreams would be crushed if someone suggested that you not go to Korea--in fact, to the contrary, you begin your post by announcing your commitment to Tokyo: "I shall study in the University of Tokyo next year." In his simplistic low ranking of Seoul U, Ryuji joins the majority of Japanese in looking down on almost everything Korean (except their low-priced sex trade).

Tiger Beer, while also negative toward Korea, at least takes the trouble to show that his opinions are based on significant personal experience, unlike Ryuji, who is satisfied to ejaculate a single paternalistic "No" (ergo, question solved, no reasoning required).

What you need to think about is the difference between the way most Japanese see Japan's university system (a very "tate-shakai" view, almost caste-like) and the way a non-Japanese may view the same system--which is bound to be very different, and will no doubt vary according to your country of origin and your professional goals. For most foreign students, life abroad is more of a personal experience than strictly a career ladder (especially outside technical fields).

You let us know your gender and you hint about your age, but I can't figure out where you have grown up so far, other than the fact that you are not a native writer of English. You also hide from us your academic goals--PhD in nuclear medicine? So, with so little to go on, for my own two cents I would simply suggest that you look first at the language you want to learn, since that will be your biggest challenge.

Beyond that, however, I urge you to learn more about both countries from sources other than an online forum. You seem to have made up your mind to study in one of these two countries while remaining incredibly ignorant about both. If I were your parent, I would be very worried about letting you leave home.

Old 02-24-2011, 09:15 PM

212 posts, read 399,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Cents View Post
As for Ryuji, however, please understand that his "Tokyo U. > Kyoto U. > Osaka U. > Seoul U." schematic is a great simplification. First of all, he is a coward for failing to add Keio and Waseda Universities to his ranking--out of fear of the analytic complexity that would result, no doubt. He wants to be a good little bureaucrat-headed boy by placing at the pyramid's top only the two government universities that wannabe bureaucrats slave through high school to get into, in order to land mindless but cushy government jobs after graduation.
"Tokyo U. > Kyoto U. > Osaka U. > Seoul U." is based on http://www.university-list.net/rank.htm

Where are Keio and Waseda at all? They are not on the list of 1-100.

Waseda is #182, Keio is #206.

Seoul U. is #47.

Tokyo U. > Kyoto U. > Osaka U. > Seoul U. >>>>>>>> Waseda > Keio.

I'm feeling sorry for those who thought Keio and Waseda were better than Seoul Univ

Old 02-24-2011, 09:28 PM

1,084 posts, read 2,476,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Also, I saw you are a female. I'm a guy, but IF I were a foreigner female, I'd much prefer Japanese guys over Korean guys. As a guy, either Korean or Japanese females are pleasant to date. But if I were a female, I really wouldn't personally want to be dating Korean guys.
Why not? Is there some sort of cultural macho-ness thing or something? PM me if you wish. I am sincerely curious.

Old 02-24-2011, 09:40 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,546,133 times
My sister teaches in Japan, but I don't get the sense from her Japanese guys are particularly good dating material. I mean every nationality has a diversity of people, male or female, but I've read Japanese women themselves are delaying marriage because they don't care for the guys available. Rightly or wrongly I think they're criticized as either being tyrants or mama's boys. Maybe it's worse in Korea, but I wouldn't think Japan is particularly better going by what I've heard or read. I seem to recall there are some islands of Korea where the guys are kind of used to a "strong woman" even.

Take all this with a grain of salt. I assume there are plenty of jerky Korean guys, wonderful Japanese guys, etc. Also the OP may not even be looking or thinking about a relationship. She might be at the phase of life where she's thinking mostly about her education and career.

Old 02-25-2011, 02:00 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
Korean guys & Japanese guys.

Actually, both countries are delaying marriage longer and longer.

Anyways, I'm a guy, so I wouldn't REALLY know what it's like to date either one. But I know that Koreans are very macho about things, and very demanding. I think the majority of people who live in Korea, just felt exhausted from dealing with Korean men on any level. Just the hard-headedness, the xenophobia, the rudeness, etc. Whereas, for myself, I just find all Japanese people to be quite pleasant to be around. I have no idea what it would be like to date them though.

I will say if you are a western guy, you will be in heaven in either Japan or Korea. The women are quite friendly and lovely in either society. However, the Korean men can make things very uncomfortable with your relationship with a Korean woman in Korea. However, in Japan, the Japanese guys really seem to not care at all about it one way or the other.

I think marriage is the bigger problem in either society for a westerner woman. Basically, the woman is VERY MUCH expected to take on a very strong mother type role to the husband. Meaning, constant cleaning, caretaking, waiting on, cooking, taking care of the in-laws, taking care of extended family, if your Japanese or Korean husband is the eldest son, you'll be expected to take in his parents for life. Often these these are huge issues for westerners.

Anyways, marriage-wise, either one might be a handful. But, on a personal level of who is just more mellow and easy-going, the Japanese person is significantly moreso, and so is the culture.

Old 02-25-2011, 02:26 AM

5,002 posts, read 12,354,936 times
If you can get into Tokyo U. ... you do realize you will have to learn Japanese? Or do you intend on studying it to gain proficiency? If you already have decent English skills, why not apply to American universities? MIT, Stanford, Yale, UC-Berkely, and even Purdue have excellent Math schools. Or what about universities in the UK?

If you want to learn more about the Japanese culture and what not, I will simply say that the Japanese students are ferocious when it comes to study in primary and secondary school, and many continue that in college. I found many Japanese folks who graduate from there and get engineering jobs here are less well-rounded as a person and tend to be socially awkward (at least at first, after about 5 years they loosen up).

Now if you think you can balance studying and life stuff, great! Japan is an interesting country with unique history and culture. Japan is very safe for females, and if you are foreign, they will find you interesting to date to learn about your home culture.

At any rate, がんばって!日本語は難しい、でもしんぱいない。

Old 02-25-2011, 04:37 PM

3,773 posts, read 5,321,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
At any rate, がんばって!日本語は難しい、でもしんぱいない。
Good luck! Japanese is difficult, but do not worry.

I love google translate!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia