Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: On Average Which Southeast Asian Country Do You Think Has The Best Looking Ladies ?
The Philippines 41 27.89%
Malaysia 14 9.52%
Burma 3 2.04%
Vietnam 22 14.97%
Singapore 13 8.84%
Laos 1 0.68%
Indonesia 10 6.80%
Cambodia 2 1.36%
Thailand 41 27.89%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 10:03 PM

68 posts, read 681,566 times

Advertisements

Vietnam and Phillipines.

Old 07-05-2011, 10:18 PM

4,904 posts, read 3,361,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
I put Singapore, simply because in that nation you can find large amounts of every other ethnic group on this list.

Is there really a significant difference in the way the people from various south east asian countries look? Asking what is the physical difference between a Thai and a Vietnamese is like asking what is the physical difference between a Swede and Norwegian.........There honestly isn't one.
It's not the difference between black and white...

But there are definitely visible differences between various SE Asian groups and even within the SE Asian countries themselves....

Even amongst Northeast Asian groups (Japanese, Chinese, Korean) many of the people there can easily distinguish between each other by physical appearance. But think all Europeans/Americans look the same lmao...

Old 07-06-2011, 12:25 AM

5,365 posts, read 6,337,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycanmaster View Post
It's not the difference between black and white...

But there are definitely visible differences between various SE Asian groups and even within the SE Asian countries themselves....

Even amongst Northeast Asian groups (Japanese, Chinese, Korean) many of the people there can easily distinguish between each other by physical appearance. But think all Europeans/Americans look the same lmao...
You think Europeans and American's look the same? Americans don't even have a racial majority in the under 5 age bracket. How in the world can they all look the same. Europeans? The one racial group that has wide spread variance in hair color and eye color and you think they look the same?

Okay, do tell me what the difference in features is between the SE asians countries. I am actually curious to hear. lol. I can usually tell the difference between a NE asian (Chinese, Korean, Japanese) and a SE Asian, but I can't tell a Thai from a Laotian.

Old 07-06-2011, 07:39 AM

1,160 posts, read 1,972,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
You think Europeans and American's look the same? Americans don't even have a racial majority in the under 5 age bracket. How in the world can they all look the same. Europeans? The one racial group that has wide spread variance in hair color and eye color and you think they look the same?
Yes, I've always wondered as well how people from other races cannot easily distinguish the differences between whites . I mean, how hard can it be to see the difference between a blonde and a brunette?

Old 07-06-2011, 09:21 AM

6,046 posts, read 5,954,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondrood View Post
Yes, I've always wondered as well how people from other races cannot easily distinguish the differences between whites . I mean, how hard can it be to see the difference between a blonde and a brunette?
That is what I thought also. Have spoken to a few Asian folk about this very issue in Asia and the answer seems to be like this. For those folk not perhaps as familar with Westerners,what the notice is our size, our slightly to some ungainly manner in movement,our big noses and a tendancey to walk quicker than the locals in the heat.

Old 07-06-2011, 09:42 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
Quote:
But I think they mean by nationality. I get people asking all the time if I'm European. I'm American though. I often see (or overhear) Europeans all the time who exhibit stereotypical 'American' traits' - i.e. loud, obnoxious, etc. get categorized as American, even in Europe. People think they know, but they don't.

I regularly see Europeans with baseball caps and other types of wear, that I'd assume they wouldn't wear or wouldn't want associate themselves as wearing, yet there they are, wearing it.

I find distringuing europeans and americans difficult based on appearance. We just do it my stereotypes if anything.

I'm white American, by the way. But I've lived in Asia for many years. I can quickly quickly identify a Korean in Japan with seconds. WHen I lived in Korea, I could quickly identify a Japanese person. Just everything about them was completely different. THeir looks, their facial features, their makeup choices, their styles, their thinking, their behaviors, etc.

I also meet English teachers regularly in Japan and Korea all the time...and until they open their mouth (and hear an accent), I have absolutely no clue whatsoever where they are from. Just no idea.

If they have a North American accent....guessing between Canadian and American is another coin toss - and I grew up right on the Michigan/Ontario border. Unless they have a particularly identifiable southern accent or boston accent or a canadian accent that is somehow more canadian than my own similar-sounding uppder midwest accent with 'eh' and such...than good luck even by hearing some us speak.

But just by looking...put a Brit and a Canadian and an Australian all in a Baltimore Orioles baseball cap, and I'd quickly just assume they were all Americans, and wouldn't give it another second thought unless they spoke up with a giveaway accent of some type.

Old 07-06-2011, 11:30 AM

321 posts, read 533,919 times
Quote:
It was a nightmare when I first settled in US. But being an Asian managing of a large buffet restaurant, I quickly learnt the trick as to identify the difference of Italian to French, English to Irish , Germans to Russian, blonde and brunette. I found Blond has more fun, Italian said ( how 're you doing differently and they tipped better, Irish speak louder than English and they always have thier beer in black........

Just like Tiger Beer, if you stray long enough in the specific jungles , you can distinguish ***** cats dolls from lion to tiger, leopard to panther. some meow while others roar.

But to a Chinese, for us to differentiate Japanese or a Thai is simply easy. Sometimes it is the way they move before they speak in tongues.

Last edited by zinglicious; 07-06-2011 at 11:48 AM..

Old 07-06-2011, 01:21 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,748,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post
i am currently in manila, just arrived yesterday, and as i said before, i am surprised so many ppl voted the philippines on this one. it's easily near the bottom of the pack in southeast asia. you can find good lookers, sure, but on average the philippines is awful. i suspect a lot of filipinos voted in this poll or something. or it could be similar to the japanese effect, where people are voting purely on media exposure (the philippines gets more exposure in the west because there are more filipinos living in the west).

but ya, not impressed w filipino beauty at all.
maybe because a lot of Westerners like dark & exotic looking (which includes a lot of Filipinos) but many Asians think that look is ugly, they prefer light skin and East Asian-looking. I think if people knew more about Cambodians then it would be higher in the poll. They're more dark & exotic looking than Filipinos.

Old 07-06-2011, 03:11 PM

2,918 posts, read 5,608,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
maybe because a lot of Westerners like dark & exotic looking (which includes a lot of Filipinos) but many Asians think that look is ugly, they prefer light skin and East Asian-looking. I think if people knew more about Cambodians then it would be higher in the poll. They're more dark & exotic looking than Filipinos.
i'm a westerner. mexican. i guess i have asian preferences tho growing up in a majority asian city in socal.

i like cambodia a lot, mainly because i am always broke and it's a good place to have fun on a low budget. lookswise i prefer the viet girls i guess (there are a lot in phnom penh) but khmer girls definitely have good attitudes. i wont turn them away

Old 07-06-2011, 03:37 PM

6,046 posts, read 5,954,330 times
Suppose most women will have the attitude to suite when being paid. I go on also the reality that a lot of women from this area have a very decisive impression with regards to how the man should be.
Saw many relationships between Asian women and Western men faulter due to a lot of misconceptions when the relationship has been taken to another level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia