Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: On Average Which Southeast Asian Country Do You Think Has The Best Looking Ladies ?
The Philippines 41 27.89%
Malaysia 14 9.52%
Burma 3 2.04%
Vietnam 22 14.97%
Singapore 13 8.84%
Laos 1 0.68%
Indonesia 10 6.80%
Cambodia 2 1.36%
Thailand 41 27.89%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 09:55 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,750,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejay1 View Post
news flash...the tai-kadai who inhabited southern china at the time werent as sino-looking as thai-chinese

in fact tai-kadai arent any more mongoloid lookng then austro-asiatics

btw Vietnamese are austroasiatic

owned austra boy.....the only people who didnt look mongoloid are the australoids and negritos who were present in SEAsia way before austroasiatics or austronesians...hence why tagalogs dont look very asian(both NEA or SEA)
owned how? Where did I say that they were as sino-looking as Thai-Chinese? I dont know what they looked like, but the fact is, they were from East Asia, not the tropics, so their phenotype wasn't Southeast Asian. And these people came to Thailand only in the last thousand years or so, as opposed to other groups like Austro-Asiatics who were in SE Asia longer, so they were more tropic-adapted.

And yes, everyone knows that Vietnamese are Astro-Asiatic, meaning they have a long history of being in SE Asia, but at the same time, they have a long history of being ruled by Chinese, so that's why they look the way they do and that's why they have a heavily Chinese culture.

That's why Thais and Vietnamese look a little different from other SE Asians. One group migrated from China in just the last thousand years and currently has the largest immigrant Chinese population in the WORLD. The other group was ruled by China for a thousand years. So don't expect most Filipinos to look like either Thais or Vietnamese, but some looks overlap, of course.

Last edited by Smtchll; 01-10-2013 at 10:14 PM..

Old 01-10-2013, 10:34 PM

1,527 posts, read 2,999,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
owned how? Where did I say that they were as sino-looking as Thai-Chinese? I dont know what they looked like, but the fact is, they were from East Asia, not the tropics, so their phenotype wasn't Southeast Asian. And these people came to Thailand only in the last thousand years or so, as opposed to other groups like Austro-Asiatics who were in SE Asia longer, so they were more tropic-adapted.

And yes, everyone knows that Vietnamese are Astro-Asiatic, meaning they have a long history of being in SE Asia, but at the same time, they have a long history of being ruled by Chinese, so that's why they look the way they do and that's why they have a heavily Chinese culture.

That's why Thais and Vietnamese look a little different from other SE Asians. One group migrated from China in just the last thousand years and currently has the largest immigrant Chinese population in the WORLD. The other group was ruled by China for a thousand years. So don't expect most Filipinos to look like either Thais or Vietnamese, but some looks overlap, of course.
you dumass...you have been pretty much claiming thai looked sinid due to the fact that they entered SEAsia much later then cambodians....when in fact the people of southern china did not have any change in phenotype for the last few thousand years before the Sinid pushed them out....hence why thai look no different then cambodians

then you claimed that austronesians are native to SEAsia....and you probably use your own people as evidence of this...when southern luzon on average are negrito hybrids...not full malay/maritime SEAsian/austronesian

Old 01-10-2013, 10:42 PM

37,153 posts, read 39,418,669 times
How many of your guys have actually traveled extensively through southeast asia especially outside of the major cities? Some of the stuff being said here sounds redonkulous.

Old 01-10-2013, 10:47 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,750,006 times
Quote:
you dumass...you have been pretty much claiming thai looked sinid due to the fact that they entered SEAsia much later then cambodians....when in fact the people of southern china did not have any change in phenotype for the last few thousand years before the Sinid pushed them out....hence why thai look no different then cambodians

then you claimed that austronesians are native to SEAsia....and you probably use your own people as evidence of this...when southern luzon on average are negrito hybrids...not full malay/maritime SEAsian/austronesian
A group from further North that came to the tropics in the last 1000 years is going to look more Mongoloid than a group that came to SE Asia 3,000 years ago. Thais came from the Dai ethnic group in China. They're descended from those that left China at the end of the Song Dynasty. That's pretty recent history. Other SE Asian groups didn't come from East Asia in the recent past

And where did I claim that Austronesians are natives to SE Asia? Please show me. All I said was that Austronesians have been in SE Asia longer than Thais have been in SE Asia (4,000 years vs 1,000 years). They both originate in East Asia though.

Old 01-10-2013, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
A group from further North that came to the tropics in the last 1000 years is going to look more Mongoloid than a group that came to SE Asia 3,000 years ago. Thais came from the Dai ethnic group in China. They're descended from those that left China at the end of the Song Dynasty. That's pretty recent history. Other SE Asian groups didn't come from East Asia in the recent past

And where did I claim that Austronesians are natives to SE Asia? Please show me. All I said was that Austronesians have been in SE Asia longer than Thais have been in SE Asia (4,000 years vs 1,000 years). They both originate in East Asia though.
how is that going to happen when phenotype of the locals in southern china did not change in the 3,000 year time difference...the difference is quite evident now because Sinids moved into Southern China and mixed with the locals

thai people
Moderator cut: image removed

dai people

Last edited by picmod; 01-10-2014 at 07:17 AM..

Old 01-10-2013, 10:59 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times
Quote:
news flash...the tai-kadai who inhabited southern china at the time werent as sino-looking as thai-chinese

in fact tai-kadai arent any more mongoloid lookng then austro-asiatics

btw Vietnamese are austroasiatic

owned austra boy.....the only people who didnt look mongoloid are the australoids and negritos who were present in SEAsia way before austroasiatics or austronesians...hence why tagalogs dont look very asian(both NEA or SEA)
Water Splashing Festival celebrated in SW China´s tourist spot CCTV-International

Ethnic Dai girls from Yunnan province. They look pretty similar to the Han of the region, no surprise since all these individual ethnic groups were Sinicized throughout Chinese history, and also received invaders from the Han homeland of the North China plain.

Old 01-10-2013, 11:04 PM

Quote:
how is that going to happen when phenotype of the locals in southern china did not change in the 3,000 year time difference...the difference is quite evident now because Sinids moved into Southern China and mixed with the locals

thai people

dai people
The Thai are a far from homogeneous group...no nationality or 'ethnic group' is completely homogeneous, be that Thai/Dai, Khmer, Mon, Viet.etc. While the majority of Thai DNA is from China, now they think there is actually some admixture of locals who pre-dated the arrival. Same goes for Cambodia. Anyone can see from their eyes, for instance, they are not the eyes of a people who have evolved in the tropics for tens of thousands of years. The negritos who once inhabited South East Asia were pushed out possibly thousands of years ago. Thais can look anything from Indian, Malay to Chinese, but all are equally Thai in terms of their cultural identity. The average Thai on the street also looks pretty different to the average Cambodian.

Old 01-10-2013, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
The Thai are a far from homogeneous group...no nationality or 'ethnic group' is completely homogeneous, be that Thai/Dai, Khmer, Mon, Viet.etc. While the majority of Thai DNA is from China, now they think there is actually some admixture of locals who pre-dated the arrival. Same goes for Cambodia. Anyone can see from their eyes, for instance, they are not the eyes of a people who have evolved in the tropics for tens of thousands of years. The negritos who once inhabited South East Asia were pushed out possibly thousands of years ago. Thais can look anything from Indian, Malay to Chinese, but all are equally Thai in terms of their cultural identity. The average Thai on the street also looks pretty different to the average Cambodian.
that is true for most SEAsians....I have seen cambodians who look chinese to indian to thai
I have seen indonesians who look chinese to malay
I have seen rural filipinos who look chinese to malay

thai are not some special super race that is the only one capable of looking like all those ethnics mentioned

Old 01-10-2013, 11:21 PM

Quote:
that is true for most SEAsians....I have seen cambodians who look chinese to indian to thai
I have seen indonesians who look chinese to malay
I have seen rural filipinos who look chinese to malay

thai are not some special super race that is the only one capable of looking like all those ethnics mentioned
That's true. I think the fact that there are large populations of Chinese in all these countries confuses things, but even if you took them out there'd still be people who look pretty Sinitic. The Chinese that came to those countries tended to be from the South too so they don't stand out too much. Myanmar is an interesting example, like Nepal a lot of them seem to look partway between Indians and Chinese or Tibetans.

Pol Pot actually could pass for a Chinese, and I've seen some Cambodians who look even Indian, but most vary from looking Chinese to Malay to me. Many Malays themselves look pretty Chinese.

Old 01-10-2013, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
That's true. I think the fact that there are large populations of Chinese in all these countries confuses things, but even if you took them out there'd still be people who look pretty Sinitic. The Chinese that came to those countries tended to be from the South too so they don't stand out too much. Myanmar is an interesting example, like Nepal a lot of them seem to look partway between Indians and Chinese or Tibetans.

Pol Pot actually could pass for a Chinese, and I've seen some Cambodians who look even Indian, but most vary from looking Chinese to Malay to me. Many Malays themselves look pretty Chinese.
yes thats what Im saying...so I have no idea why that nuatpong or whatever his name is keeps claiming that those thai bargirls are malay...and only chinese looking people are thai....I bet he would even call a chinese looking malay as thai before he would own up to a brown looking thai person as thai
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia