Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which are Filipinos?
Asian 91 69.47%
Hispanic/Latino 12 9.16%
Pacific Islanders/Polynesian 28 21.37%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 07:09 AM

774 posts, read 1,857,132 times

Advertisements

Probably would have been more of them today if not for what America did during the "Filipino Genocide"
"Kill everyone over ten!" -General Jacob M. Smith

Forgotten Filipinos / The Filipino genocide - YouTube

Old 12-09-2011, 08:26 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,920,736 times
Most Filipinos I've seen in the U.S. look Asian and now when I see an Asian man with a Spanish last name I know he is definitely Filipino and an Asian woman with a Spanish last name who is not married to a Mexican is also Filipino. Once in a while I've mistakened a Filipino person for a Mexican or Puerto Rican but not often.

Old 12-10-2011, 06:48 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,745,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Most Filipinos I've seen in the U.S. look Asian and now when I see an Asian man with a Spanish last name I know he is definitely Filipino and an Asian woman with a Spanish last name who is not married to a Mexican is also Filipino. Once in a while I've mistakened a Filipino person for a Mexican or Puerto Rican but not often.
Most Filipino-Americans look Asian because the majority of them come from relatively wealthy families in the Philippines, which are dominated by people of Chinese-descent (many of them have Spanish last names as well)

Filipinos in the Philippines are a mixture of Asian-looking people and Pacific Island-looking people. You see a lot of people that look like this:

but you won't see many Filipino-Americans that look like that.

Old 12-10-2011, 11:04 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,084,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I've known a lot of Filipinos who have only looked slightly Asian. My husband has only some Asian features, but when asked most people assume he is something other than Asian. His brother looks even slightly less Asian than he does. Most of his sisters don't look particularly Asian, either. However, from the research I've done on his lineage, at least his fathers line was not from the Chinese descendents.

The other Filipinos I've known run the gambit from looking quite Asian to not looking Asian at all.

Old 12-12-2011, 04:01 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,016,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlipMC View Post
I know this is off-topic but I'm really curious. Why is it that Filipino-Americans are unable to speak the language (Tagalog)? I think it's really really sad that the Filipino culture seems to be diluted down compared to other cultures in the US.
You can ask this of ANY immigrant group to the US. First generation will likely understand but from there onwards.. probably not.

Old 12-12-2011, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinai View Post
Philippine Adobo cuisine version

The one whose cooking is Filipina
shown somewhere in Latin America TV Show

This is just some of Spanish influences when it comes to food.
My favorite is adobo
Thanks for this. I've never cooked adobo in a wok before.. is that normal? And potatos and tomatos? WTF?
I'm sad I understood the Spanish videos more than any of the Tagalog videos in this thread .

Last edited by minibrings; 12-12-2011 at 04:11 PM..

Old 12-12-2011, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganwriter View Post
@minibrings ... interesting comment.
But what the issue here is ... what is "Asian" about you?
I can "look" European, but if my culture is Spanish, and my diet is Spanish, and my spirituality is Spanish based ... then guess what? I'M SPANISH!

I think you have much to be proud of.
You said your parents are from the Philippines. Have you ever been there?
Perhaps you're more, "American" than anything else?
I was born there and lived in Makati until I was 12, when my American mom wanted to go back stateside after my Filipino dad passed away. She never liked my Dad's family, they never welcomed her being Protestant and all. Oy.
I'm Asian because that's how I feel.. I relate more to Asians than to anyone else.

Old 12-13-2011, 03:44 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,047,835 times
Definitely Asian. I think genetically they are mostly Asian, with some Austronesian stock. I don't think there's too much European/Spanish blood in the Phillipines really.

Old 12-13-2011, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Definitely Asian. I think genetically they are mostly Asian, with some Austronesian stock. I don't think there's too much European/Spanish blood in the Phillipines really.
Have you been recently? What was it like? I'd like to visit someday soon.

Old 12-13-2011, 01:11 PM

1,754 posts, read 8,114,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veganwriter View Post
But you didn't include a video of the Original Austronesians ... before the centuries of intermarrying with people of Spanish and Chinese descent. The Negrito were the first inhabitants of the Philippines therefore the first Austronesians ... the voyagers who settled there.

Early Aeta Video Footage, Philippines - YouTube

This conjures up the Olmecs.
(Almost sounds like "Old Mex's" as in "Old Mexicans")

The Olmecs
Look at our Ethnic Tribe from Bohol the Ati Tribe .. The Ati-Atihan Tribe originate from this tribe

You will see Ati Tribe from Bohol and Panay island including in Boracay Island.

And another one Batak/Batac Tribe of Puerto Princesa Palawan

Last edited by pinai; 12-13-2011 at 01:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia