Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 11:20 AM

6 posts, read 15,171 times

Advertisements

I know countries such as Chile, China, and India, are on the verge of becoming developing countries, but what about Afghanistan, Haiti, and most least developed countries through out the world become developed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2011, 11:56 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,014,195 times
Here is an absolute mathematical certainty: Half the countries in the world will always be more developed than the other half. The "other half" will be called "developing" or some similar label that makes people ask "When will they become fully developed?"

Old 09-04-2011, 12:14 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,861,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dafuture View Post
I know countries such as Chile, China, and India, are on the verge of becoming developing countries, but what about Afghanistan, Haiti, and most least developed countries through out the world become developed.
Uhmmm ... *know* ??
China is on the verge of becoming a developing country ?
Where becoming developing means, in the process of developing.
*I* think, they are well on their way, if not further along as you may think in some areas ...

I guess, it depends on how you look it.
If you compare in the fashion of, *Are they like us yet ?*,
then yes, some areas, and I am NOT saying countries here,
may be not like what you are used to at all,
and then you label them as non developed,
or on the verge of developing, or developed ...

Any area, will not change until, the people who live there,
realise by themselves, that whatever situation they live in,
is not what they should have,
in the eyes of the rest of the world (yours for instance),
something needs to change.

In many areas, right next to where you live,
are living with that same *situation*.
Why change/fix something if it is not broken.
So nothing happens, until some outsider, you for instance again,
thinks that it should be changed.

Old 09-04-2011, 12:19 PM

230 posts, read 905,358 times
India isn't even close. its per capita gdp is a little of 1,000 dollars. Its purchasing power parity per capita GDP is somewhat better at around $3,000. For countries like Haiti and some others it is really hard to make any kind of prediction because the institutions and social structures that help with wealth creation don't exist and it can be very difficult to create them for a number of reasons. That is not to say that all hope is lost. But without the type of structure that allow for wealth creation it isn't going to happen anytime soon.

Old 09-04-2011, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
Uhmmm ... *know* ??
China is on the verge of becoming a developing country ?
Where becoming developing means, in the process of developing.
*I* think, they are well on their way, if not further along as you may think in some areas ...

I guess, it depends on how you look it.
If you compare in the fashion of, *Are they like us yet ?*,
then yes, some areas, and I am NOT saying countries here,
may be not like what you are used to at all,
and then you label them as non developed,
or on the verge of developing, or developed ...

Any area, will not change until, the people who live there,
realise by themselves, that whatever situation they live in,
is not what they should have,
in the eyes of the rest of the world (yours for instance),
something needs to change.

In many areas, right next to where you live,
are living with that same *situation*.
Why change/fix something if it is not broken.
So nothing happens, until some outsider, you for instance again,
thinks that it should be changed.
I mean China, India are on the verge of becoming developed countries.

Old 09-04-2011, 12:52 PM

1,200 posts, read 1,605,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dafuture View Post
I mean China, India are on the verge of becoming developed countries.
I don't think either of those two are close to becoming first world nations. They have massive populations and massive poverty; perhaps by the year 2050 but not during this decade. India can't even get rid of the stray dog problem the country has which results in the death of 21,000 people a year from Rabies, how will they exert economic influence and power if they can't even deal with stray dogs in their country?

I think countries like Mexico, Brazil and Chile (the three are already considered middle income) are more likely to reach first world status by the year 2020.

Old 09-04-2011, 01:07 PM

380 posts, read 962,153 times
They never fully will.

Old 09-04-2011, 01:42 PM

1,418 posts, read 2,547,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaan-84 View Post
I don't think either of those two are close to becoming first world nations. They have massive populations and massive poverty; perhaps by the year 2050 but not during this decade. India can't even get rid of the stray dog problem the country has which results in the death of 21,000 people a year from Rabies, how will they exert economic influence and power if they can't even deal with stray dogs in their country?

I think countries like Mexico, Brazil and Chile (the three are already considered middle income) are more likely to reach first world status by the year 2020.

Lets explore that comment a little further.....stray dogs kill no doubts about that but why? India is truly a democracy and religion plays a huge role in the day to day lives of ordinary ppl. Killing animals is looked down upon in general and PETA is quite powerful in India. Also, there are many, many animal lovers in India. Many, many times there is a vote to kill the stray animals and many times the vote fails due to a variety of reasons. Also, in some cities where the vote is actually passed and enacted, animal control is a private company which becomes quite corrupt. If they nip the problem quickly, then there is no paycheck afterwards. So, to ensure that a continous income, these contracted companies do not complete their job properly on purpose. Mexico, not a chance with the drug problem. its too embeded into the country. It will take a long time to rid that influence. I place my bet on Chile first. it has been growing at 26% per year for over 10 yrs! Its smaller population, will undboutedly allow it to prosper quicker than Brazil, China, and India. Brazil is a up and coming heavy weight. India has many problems but look at this perspective. With the insitutionalized corruption that is ingrained in the bureacracy over there, it is growing quite fast for 20 yrs with the last 10 yrs close to double digit growth. Will it be first world in 10 yrs. NO. The end of the decade, yes but it has to deal with its problems. People are getting smarter and its a great time to invest and watch your money grow much, much faster than any 1st world nation.

Old 09-04-2011, 01:46 PM

1,418 posts, read 2,547,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nesne View Post
India isn't even close. its per capita gdp is a little of 1,000 dollars. Its purchasing power parity per capita GDP is somewhat better at around $3,000. For countries like Haiti and some others it is really hard to make any kind of prediction because the institutions and social structures that help with wealth creation don't exist and it can be very difficult to create them for a number of reasons. That is not to say that all hope is lost. But without the type of structure that allow for wealth creation it isn't going to happen anytime soon.

I wouldn;t trust facts and figure too much. There is a huge middle class, equivalent to the entire population of the US. While it lacks the purchasing power of the US, there are many positive points. Consider if India had a population like the US or even Haiti? It would have been a mini Singapore!

Old 09-04-2011, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amIayankee? View Post
They never fully will.
Perhaps not in my life, but probably in the far future, when much of humanity has been advanced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia